Crazy shaking. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Crazy shaking.

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 04-15-2013, 07:08 AM   #1
Nate620

Crazy shaking.

Hey guys, I've got a 98 zj 4.0 limited that has some scary wobble/shaking in the font end when hitting bumps at about 50+ mph... I just replaced both front swaybar end links and bushings because they were both shot before and had this wobble and thought the swaybar was the problem. Jeeps stock with no lift at all. Any ideas? Shaking is bad, steering wheel goes crazy back and forth and the whole jeep shakes like crazy... Thanks in advance.

Nate620 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Crawl under, have someone whip the wheel back/forth, look for anything sloppy/loose.
Check track bar, control arm bushings, etc.

Search JF for "death wobble".
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
morrist95
1993 ZJ 

Might want to check your steering stabilizer. i had the same problem on my first ZJ.
morrist95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Steering stabilizer would not cause that. You have worn out or out of spec suspension components. The Steering stabilizer isn't necessary it just makes things smoother and can cover up the real problems until they get really bad.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Nate620

My front shocks/springs are in some rough shape was planning on replacing those but didnt think they'd cause something like that, could this be causing it?
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Probably the control arm bushings.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
Nate620

Upper or lower? I'm looking threw JF but can't find much about death wobble for ZJs just trying to find out all the possibilities, I only get the wobble when hitting a serious bump besides that the jeep drives fine on highways/ fast speeds. I also could use a alignment, it's off a little but nothing serious.
Unread 04-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

DW is usually not one specific part. Its a combination of worn parts. Check ALL control arm bushings up front, Check ball joints.

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

Steering stabilizers as mentioned, can help but are rarely the cause of the issue. KOR has some higher durometer bushings but I would investigate your jeep further before going and buying those. DW is a tricky beast good luck

Build thread^^
Unread 04-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
Nate620

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987
Steering stabilizers as mentioned, can help but are rarely the cause of the issue. KOR has some higher durometer bushings but I would investigate your jeep further before going and buying those. DW is a tricky beast good luck
Yeah I've heard a lot about death wobble and I'm not looking forward to this... Really don't even know where to start, but thanks, when I get out of work I'm going to get under there and start seeing if I can notice anything.
Unread 04-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

id just replace all wear items in the front end, regardless if theyre bad or not. from what ive read on here, steering stabilizers are never the cause of DW. ive read that if your front end is set up perfect, you dont even need a stabilizer
Unread 04-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

There are many culprits, as has already been mentioned.
One common one might be the upper track bar mount on the driver's side. It gets loose. To check it, get a trusted friend to start the Jeep ( parking brake on, in park and his foot on the brake) while you lay under the front end with a flashlight and look for unusual movement as he turns the wheels side to side. Pay particular attention to the track bar ends. Track bars do wear out....and the upper mounts loosen over time.

But as already stated, check tie rod ends, ball joints, control arm bushings...and I'll add another one. The steering box. Make certain it's not moving either.

The steering damper is NOT your problem...trust me. While it may be worn out and need replacing, it's not the underlying cause of death wobble.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #13
Nate620

How do I check the steering box to see if its not moving?
Unread 04-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #14
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

Same way. Have a friend turn while you are peeking at the box to look for movement. Itll be obvious if its loose

Build thread^^
Unread 04-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #15
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

Ive had my pitman arm loose from the steering box a couple times. It didnt cause DW but check that too. The ****ed thing about this is that its hard to say where to start. You just have to check EVERYTHING under there and look for looseness

Build thread^^

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.