Crankshaft position sensor replacement #2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Crankshaft position sensor replacement #2

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
lennlin
1995 ZJ 

Crankshaft position sensor replacement #2 *UPDATE* * SEMI-SOLVED*

Hey all,

Been lurking these forums for a few years now trouble shooting some minor problems of my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L. I take good care of it and its pretty much mint condition. Has roughly 60,000 miles on it.

Right now my jeep will not start up but it turns over. Almost positive its the crankshaft position sensor AGAIN because the cranking sounds like the last time the CPS failed last summer. The entire jeep just shut off suddenly as I was driving down the street last time and this time is just wouldn't start. This town over charges its automotive services; I paid over $520 just to get my CPS replaced!

This time I want to do it myself. The problem is finding the actual CPS on my vehicle. I know its attached to the outside of the tranny bellhousing but I do not know what a bellhousing looks like. If I were to actually find the CPS I'd be able to order my part ASAP and run to a parts store to grab some jacks or wrenches because I am definitely not a automotives DIY guy.

to summarize:
-I don't know where the CPS is because I don't know what the bellhousing looks like.
- i know its on the driver's side but the only part I know is the air filter so if you guys could reference to the air filter I would appreciate it lol

Edit:
After finding where the CPS is, I went to go buy some tools so I thought "eh what the hell I'll just plug in a battery charger to see if it does anything". I come back and the charger says the car battery is fully charged. I took a shot at starting it again and guess what?!? IT STARTED!! It was very weak at first and the engine was sputtering oddly but it started up and I reved it a few times to make sure it didn't die on me after. The next 4 starts (in a span of 5 minutes) was pretty solid but still sounded "odd".

I'm confused now. Should I still replace the CPS or just have faith and hope it doesn't stall out on me when im driving...?

Last edited by lennlin; 05-27-2012 at 04:27 PM..
lennlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
AVR2
1993 ZJ 

If you stand looking into the engine bay, the CKS is located just behind and to the right of the rear of the valve cover, more-or-less in line with the firewall.

It's legendarily a PITA to reach, unless you've had experience changing it. Here's the location diagram from the service manual:
cks.gif  
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #3
lennlin
1995 ZJ 

HI AVR2,
I have the Haynes manual but the diagrams confuse me when trying to match what structure what is. I wish I knew what your post was telling me but I dont even know what valve cover and firewall is. ..

Some older posts say that the connector (pigtail part) is actually closer to the passenger side and loops under the engine and finally to the bellhousing?
Unread 05-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #4
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

the valve cover is what you pour oil into when you add oil.

The firewall is the metal wall that seperates the engine compartment from the interiors compartment.

Your CPS is behind the very rear of your motor mounted almost on the top of your transmissions bell housing .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 12:36 AM   #5
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Pigtail on my '94 goes over the top to the passengers side.

If your crankshaft position sensor has failed, then it usually throws a fault code.

Check HERE how to check codes.

Nearly impossible to replace the sensor while on the ground, need to be on a lift or ramps.

Goes something like this...
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

More often, If your crankshaft position sensor has failed, it will not throw a fault code.

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 12:42 AM   #7
AVR2
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennlin View Post
HI AVR2,
Some older posts say that the connector (pigtail part) is actually closer to the passenger side and loops under the engine and finally to the bellhousing?
It may do. Connector positions can change between model years, or even between vehicles from the same model year. Mine is definitely on the air filter side of the engine.

I've arrowed the general position of the sensor in this image. It's actually deep down inside the bay. The head of the bolt is facing towards the rear of the ZJ, so you pretty much have to get underneath to replace it.
engine.jpg  
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 12:52 AM   #8
lennlin
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreaZJ View Post
If your crankshaft position sensor has failed, then it usually throws a fault code.

Nearly impossible to replace the sensor while on the ground, need to be on a lift or ramps.

Goes something like this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoWgHeARguc
Did the ON-OFF key thing and I only get codes 12 and 55 which basically was when I disconnected the battery when trying to fix my jeep.

I've heard of people doing it without a ramp or lifts but it was a b!tc# to do so I am thinking I will go ahead and buy some jacks and stands!

I'll try to get some pics and videos to further depict what I am having trouble with
Unread 05-27-2012, 12:56 AM   #9
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Wire comes out on pas side by the dip stick on my 95

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 01:16 AM   #10
lennlin
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrocknroll View Post
Wire comes out on pas side by the dip stick on my 95
Hdrock, I'm beginning to think I found the connector finally but when I try to follow the wire, it splits into 3 wires and none of them lead to the other side of the engine.

please forgive the blue arrow. The red arrow is supposed to show how I imagine the wire is supposed to route

And after a literal full day of researching and troubleshooting, I need some rest. Be back in a few hours
Unread 05-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #11
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

in your pic., if you drew a line almost straight down from the pivoting point on your pass. front windshield wiper you would be looking more in the right area .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
lennlin
1995 ZJ 

Starting to get more of an idea of where it is. I originally thought the pigtail connector was supposed to be by the windshield washer fluid and the sensor would be found out by the headlights. How wrong was I!!

Now here is where I'm looking but still attempting to find it.

-Red is the motor/transmission
-Blue is where the pigtail harness of the CPS is found. Kinda close to the fuel filter
-Purple is the firewall, which is how far "deep" the sensor should be
-Yellow is the valve cover
-Green is the location of the sensor

There was another post that said it was attached to the fuel rail or remotely close? Is the fuel rail connected to the bellhousing? That is another of the few parts that I know
Unread 05-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
lennlin
1995 ZJ 

Here are videos and pictures that will help you guys help me!

This is a link to a video showing my problem and what my jeep sounds like when I crank it:
http://tinypic.com/r/2qu8bgp/6

I think I found her:

I had to get in from the driver side door and wiggle into the middle of the jeep basically with my feet pointing at the front bumper

I think this is the connector to the CPS:

Another view:

ANother view, its right by the dipstick and filter like others have said:

Last view I swear

Hopefully these pictures can illustrate what direction I'm heading in! THank you
Unread 05-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #14
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Before you replace the CPS. Try wiggling the plugs ( connectors) on the PCM ( computer), firewall, passenger side. Then try to start it. If it starts, it's the PCM, another common problem. $249 at Orielly's.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #15
lennlin
1995 ZJ 

After finding where the CPS is, I went to go buy some tools so I thought "eh what the hell I'll just plug in a battery charger to see if it does anything". I come back and the charger says the car battery is fully charged. I took a shot at starting it again and guess what?!? IT STARTED!! It was very weak at first and the engine was sputtering oddly but it started up and I reved it a few times to make sure it didn't die on me after. The next 4 starts (in a span of 5 minutes) was pretty solid but still sounded "odd".

I'm confused now. Should I still replace the CPS or just have faith and hope it doesn't stall out on me when im driving...?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.