Cranks but won't cart, please help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Cranks but won't cart, please help!

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
AustinMcIntosh
1997 ZJ 

Cranks but won't start, please help!

I have 97 zj 4.0 that is stuck in my driveway.
The battery and starter seem fine, and it will just keep cranking but won't fire up. The other day it hesitated to start and I had to try like 5 times before it finally went. Then it happened again the next day. Now yesterday, no matter how many times i try, it just won't fire up. Also, sometimes when going uphill at like 2,000 rpm's it will kinda like hesitate and almost like cut out for a split second. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it. Also, I replaced the spark plugs last week but the hesitation problem has been occurring for two months. I'm thinking, maybe bad coil pack or fuel pump. Any ideas guys??

Unread 04-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
95ZJ318
1995 ZJ 

It might be your fuel pump. My friend has a 97 with the 4.0L and his was doing the same thing. Mechanic told him it was his fuel pump. We changed his spark plugs, ignition coil, IAC valve, fluids. Still did it after all that. We have yet to change his pump, so I will let you know if it fixes the problem on his after we finish.
95ZJ318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

What is missing, fuel or a spark ? Test the fuel pressure and fuel delivery from the injectors.

Testing the CranKshaft Position Sensor (CPS) is a good idea because the CPS is the most common cause of Jeep 4.0 "It cranks but won't start up".

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Check your coil for spark.

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
AustinMcIntosh
1997 ZJ 

How do i check the coil for spark? How do I check the fuel pump pressure? How do I check the PCV?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.