crank/cam sensor or fuel related problems - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > crank/cam sensor or fuel related problems

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!KOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 05-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #61
ttavenieriii
1994 ZJ 

ok i have the same exact problem but i hooked a pressure gauge to the fuel rail and when it has stubbling and stuff the pressure went down to around 10psi could that still be a sensor issue like the crank or camshaft doing it??

ttavenieriii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #62
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

that might be the fuel pump. too many factors go into this stuff i swear!

im hoping if i get my jeep driveable by this weekend, ill take it to advanced or something and have them run a fuel pressure test and have them test my battery.

even if this was my fuel pump, i dont think that would explain some of the issues im having. maybe im wrong.
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2009, 09:32 PM   #63
BlingBlingZJ
2002 WJ 

I hate when these types of problems occur because you never know what is wrong and end up spending $$ on sensor after sensor that you may not even need. It suks that you haven't fixed it yet I was sure the PCM would of fixed your issues like it did with me.
Unread 05-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #64
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

couple things.
-installed new fuel filter. gas was sorta dirty. didnt do much
-seafoamed. LOADS of smoke [YT]Gdo1AE7JbEY[/YT]
-replaced one spark plug that i forgot to do last summer when i changed them all (broke one. went and bought another replacement..forgot to put it in)
after the seafoam and spark plug it runs much better but still not 100%
iv got some of my power back now but i couldnt tell you whether it was the spark plug or seafoam that did it.. im going to go with spark plug cuz the gap was about 55 when it needs to be 35.. (all others are 35.. or were when i put them in last summer)

i took it to advanced autos where i am friendly with one of the managers who has the same zj as me (in stock form) with 260k on it.. asked him a fe things, had him look at it. he said he doesnt think its the fuel pump (no maching to test the pressure tho), and we used a scanner and didnt pull any codes

problems still:
-engine backfire when i put my foot back on the throttle after letting off (not every single time tho, but it happens often)
-stalling when in gear idling and sometimes park>drive or reverse>drive

i have a crank sensor that i bought but have no idea how the heck it ill get installed... i dont think i can do it.

input?
My Build Thead
Facebook
Unread 05-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #65
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKzj52 View Post
couple things.
-installed new fuel filter. gas was sorta dirty. didnt do much
-seafoamed. LOADS of smoke [YT]Gdo1AE7JbEY[/YT]
-replaced one spark plug that i forgot to do last summer when i changed them all (broke one. went and bought another replacement..forgot to put it in)
after the seafoam and spark plug it runs much better but still not 100%
iv got some of my power back now but i couldnt tell you whether it was the spark plug or seafoam that did it.. im going to go with spark plug cuz the gap was about 55 when it needs to be 35.. (all others are 35.. or were when i put them in last summer)

i took it to advanced autos where i am friendly with one of the managers who has the same zj as me (in stock form) with 260k on it.. asked him a fe things, had him look at it. he said he doesnt think its the fuel pump (no maching to test the pressure tho), and we used a scanner and didnt pull any codes

problems still:
-engine backfire when i put my foot back on the throttle after letting off (not every single time tho, but it happens often)
-stalling when in gear idling and sometimes park>drive or reverse>drive

i have a crank sensor that i bought but have no idea how the heck it ill get installed... i dont think i can do it.

input?
wow guess we had the same idea while we had free time. but i used powerfoam.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2009, 07:57 PM   #66
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

hey John...the manual calls for gap to be at .40 and not 35 or 55. Get all new plugs and gap them to .40. It could be possible that the backfire is from your spark not igniting properly and when you put the foot on the gas it still has a residual gas in cylinder and then it sparks again. Understand what I am trying to get at....I think you are gapped wrong.
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #67
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

seriously? i thought my haynes said .35?
7 of the 8 have been that way since probably august lol
i dont see why it would happen now
My Build Thead
Facebook
Unread 05-17-2009, 08:53 PM   #68
BlingBlingZJ
2002 WJ 

Well you are not really going to know what your problem is until you get the crankshaft sensor installed, it can either fix it or it can remain the same but your problems all point to it being the CPS.
Unread 05-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #69
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

^dang. I really have no clue how I'm gonna do that without letting a shop do it...

Think I mighta figured out the stalling problem in gear.. My tranny seemed bone dry... I thought I filled it each time I dropped the tcase or removed my rad? oh well. Ill try filling it next weekend.
My Build Thead
Facebook
Unread 05-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #70
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

bump, not everybody at once now.

i wanna hear ur ideas/thoughts
My Build Thead
Facebook
Unread 05-19-2009, 09:41 PM   #71
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Many ideas have been posted, but the best is the one in Post #68. Do that and then come back.
rm2001wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2009, 10:16 PM   #72
BlingBlingZJ
2002 WJ 

Did you try backing out the screws from the pcm? is the pcm that they sent you is it the same one as the one in your jeep? you can try and replace the camshaft sensor that one is not that hard. One thing you can also try is wiggling the connector to the TPS because if it is loose it will cause the jeep to stall when you are driving. When I replaced my pcm it was still stalling and I was about to scrap the jeep but when putting my intake back on I accidentally hit the tps wires with the intake and the ZJ stalled and I knew that was my problem. You wanted ideas well here ya go.
Unread 05-19-2009, 11:46 PM   #73
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm2001wj View Post
Many ideas have been posted, but the best is the one in Post #68. Do that and then come back.
ill get around to that asap. i just have no clue how its gonna get done
i was curious if anybody else ever had these issues and it was something else. i just dont have ALL of the symptoms normally a bad CPS throws out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlingBlingZJ View Post
Did you try backing out the screws from the pcm? is the pcm that they sent you is it the same one as the one in your jeep? you can try and replace the camshaft sensor that one is not that hard. One thing you can also try is wiggling the connector to the TPS because if it is loose it will cause the jeep to stall when you are driving. When I replaced my pcm it was still stalling and I was about to scrap the jeep but when putting my intake back on I accidentally hit the tps wires with the intake and the ZJ stalled and I knew that was my problem. You wanted ideas well here ya go.
no, but when i put the other pcm in i didnt bolt it down all the way so it would be faster to remove. and the pcm i got came from a 96 5.2 zj.
i was going to order a new cap and rotor and see if that does anythigng, and because in the 2.5 years iv had my jeep i have yet to replace that. figured while i was in there i might replace the cam sensor if the funds are there. funny thing is, iv been looking around everywhere and nobody has a cam sensor for zjs.. not even wholesalemopar.com..what gives?
ill try the wires but i dont think thats it at all. the other day i completely removed my TB cleaned it, the sensors, where the sensors bolt on, and the sensor socket.. still acted the same. but ill try.

bling, what were all your symptoms? i went back and read through but you didnt really list all of them. you just touched on how it wouldnt start up
My Build Thead
Facebook
Unread 05-20-2009, 07:21 AM   #74
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKzj52 View Post
ill get around to that asap. i just have no clue how its gonna get done
i was curious if anybody else ever had these issues and it was something else. i just dont have ALL of the symptoms normally a bad CPS throws out.

no, but when i put the other pcm in i didnt bolt it down all the way so it would be faster to remove. and the pcm i got came from a 96 5.2 zj.
i was going to order a new cap and rotor and see if that does anythigng, and because in the 2.5 years iv had my jeep i have yet to replace that. figured while i was in there i might replace the cam sensor if the funds are there. funny thing is, iv been looking around everywhere and nobody has a cam sensor for zjs.. not even wholesalemopar.com..what gives?
ill try the wires but i dont think thats it at all. the other day i completely removed my TB cleaned it, the sensors, where the sensors bolt on, and the sensor socket.. still acted the same. but ill try.

bling, what were all your symptoms? i went back and read through but you didnt really list all of them. you just touched on how it wouldnt start up
u ask kolak yet? for teh sensor.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #75
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoshxx View Post
u ask kolak yet? for teh sensor.
no. but i was thinking one of teh million sites i looked at woulda had it...

friend is hooking me up. getting the crank sensor changed for $20 on saturday!!
cant beat that.
so by then ill have refilled my tranny and get the sensor changed and we'll see what happens
My Build Thead
Facebook

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.