crank/cam sensor or fuel related problems - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > crank/cam sensor or fuel related problems

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 05-03-2009, 09:27 PM   #31
micifus
Original GC'er

1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKzj52 View Post
turned off the alarm, and it started right up no prob.
nash will be sending me a pcm here soon, an im thinking about picking up a crank sensor at advanced autos (theyr like $50). plus i know a manager there, he also drives a black 96 limited 5.2
so maybe ill be able to but it and if thats not the problem he could prolly let me return it for a full refund.
im starting to think its the CPS more than anything now.

i didnt get a chance to drive it tonight tho..

If you turned off the alarm and you no longer have any of the problems I would leave it at that, how did you turn of the alarm? If you grounded out the purple/yellow wire leave it that way, car alarms don't do anything other then annoy people.

1970 Jeepster Commando 225 V6
32"x11.5" BFG A/T
4" Lift

"For every one thing I fix two things break"
micifus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2009, 09:40 PM   #32
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashmd454 View Post
it won't be long till I give you mine....geez...you ain't my son and I sure am going broke due to you...I hope College pays off...n/m you went to Ohio State and not THE U of TEXAS.
seriously the ecu will get sent out this week (probably tomorrow) so hopefully that works for you. The only problem I have is when I get my stroker motor in...I will have to have my ecu reflashed all over again.
going broke?! psh it probably costs <$10 to ship that. and i was planning on paying for the shipping whenever you let me know how much it was.

hopefully it wont be my ecu thats messed up, and just the CPS. if thats the case ill send it back to ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micifus View Post
If you turned off the alarm and you no longer have any of the problems I would leave it at that, how did you turn of the alarm? If you grounded out the purple/yellow wire leave it that way, car alarms don't do anything other then annoy people.
stuck the key in the drivers door and turned it
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2009, 10:29 PM   #33
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

ok so where the hell is the CPS on the 5.2?
everything says "The sensor is located on the top of cylinder block
near the rear of right cylinder head".....how vague...
iv put my hands back there and cant find anything. only thing iv found is a sensor or something right directly behind the intake manifold and distributor... is that it?
does anybody have an actual picture rather than a diagram?
or have a pic that shows the general area?
My Build Thead
Facebook
Unread 05-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #34
Some_Anchovies
1995 ZJ 

Are we looking for the Crankshaft Position sensor or Camshaft Position sensor? They both work together to determine timing. Crankshaft Position sensor is under a whole bunch of crap. To get to it you have to remove the spark plug wires, then the right exhaust manifold heat shield, then remove the EGR valve and tube, remove the oil pressure sending unit if you have trouble accessing the tube nut, then remove the sensor. Pain in the Arse.

Camshaft position sensor is a little bit different. It is located within the distributor on 95-98 models (all engines). You'll have to remove the air intake duct on your V8 to access it. Remove the distributor cap and rotor from the distributor, and then disconnect the camshaft position sensor and replace it. remember to align the tab on the new position sensor with the notch on the distributor housing.
Some_Anchovies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2009, 10:59 PM   #35
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

im looking for the crank.
i knew the cam was in the dist.

you really have to remove all that crap?
and what side is right? i keep reading that in the manuals and crap
My Build Thead
Facebook
Unread 05-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #36
BlingBlingZJ
2002 WJ 

on yours since you don't have an egr tube I imagine should be much easier it's still a pain in the you know what but better than having that egr tube! Start off putting your hand down the left valve cover if you are looking at it from the front, it's on the side that the battery is at. Next locate your exhaust manifold and if you can squeeze your hand through there you should be able to feel the sensor. You can locate the bolts with your fingers and then use some extensions maybe 3 to remove the bolts. Have Fun I will be attempting the same if the PCM doesn't fix the same issues you are having
Unread 05-04-2009, 11:15 PM   #37
Some_Anchovies
1995 ZJ 

lol, I'm just reading the Haynes manual I have.

I always assumed right was drivers side when talking about working under the hood. when talking about the vehicle in general, right is passenger side.
Some_Anchovies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2009, 11:25 PM   #38
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlingBlingZJ View Post
on yours since you don't have an egr tube I imagine should be much easier it's still a pain in the you know what but better than having that egr tube! Start off putting your hand down the left valve cover if you are looking at it from the front, it's on the side that the battery is at. Next locate your exhaust manifold and if you can squeeze your hand through there you should be able to feel the sensor. You can locate the bolts with your fingers and then use some extensions maybe 3 to remove the bolts. Have Fun I will be attempting the same if the PCM doesn't fix the same issues you are having
oh jeez. so do you have to remove it from underneath?
My Build Thead
Facebook
Unread 05-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #39
BlingBlingZJ
2002 WJ 

no you cant do it from underneath as there is no way to remove the bolts. Just remove the spark plug wires and stick your hand down and you will feel it. If you can't then go to the other side and look down from the distributor and you should see the connector for the crankshaft and then you can follow it to the sensor
Unread 05-04-2009, 11:47 PM   #40
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

alright thanks man
ill check it out on saturday and see if thats the problem
My Build Thead
Facebook
Unread 05-05-2009, 09:43 PM   #41
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

hey John...I sent it today...they say it will be there on Thurs or Fri.
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2009, 10:51 PM   #42
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashmd454 View Post
hey John...I sent it today...they say it will be there on Thurs or Fri.
thanks alot man
My Build Thead
Facebook
Unread 05-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #43
BlingBlingZJ
2002 WJ 

Just to update you I received the mopar pcm today and installed it at first it was throwing a bunch of white smoke then I went out to warm it up and man does it feel different! i can really feel the power. Anyways I let it warm up and it stalled while it was idling so now im off to replace the camshaft sensor since it's easier and then if that doesn't work i'll move on to the crankshaft sensor.
Unread 05-06-2009, 05:30 PM   #44
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

the smoke was the new(er) computer "learning" your Jeep & adjusting. Mine did that for about 5 minutes when I replaced it. Good luck w/ the sensors.
rooster51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #45
BlingBlingZJ
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster51 View Post
the smoke was the new(er) computer "learning" your Jeep & adjusting. Mine did that for about 5 minutes when I replaced it. Good luck w/ the sensors.
yea that's what I figured because it went away after I drove it for a while. Im thinking about replacing the stock coil with an accel one maybe it can't keep up with the advanced pcm? and maybe that's while it stalls at idle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.