crank/cam sensor or fuel related problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > crank/cam sensor or fuel related problems

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-01-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

crank/cam sensor or fuel related problems

after putting my new radiator in tonight and driving around im realizing i have some big time issues here
did some searching around but turns out many peoples problems were just bad IACs

- sometimes my jeep will start up just fine, and sometimes it will start up and stall out (will stay on if i put my foot on the gas). BUT i have replaced my IAC so thats not it. I have a new fuel filter in the mail and will do that maybe next weekend.

- i feel like iv lost ALOT of power.. when i go to take off, it feels like im just spinning my tires (but not), my jeep accelerates kinda slowly, then decides oh im gonna hit 3k rpms after youv had ur foot mashed to the ground for 2 seconds now. one time i floored it on a wide open road to see what happened. bogged through 0-60..took no joke maybe 10 seconds. then once i hit 65 the powerband seemed normal and i was hauling *** like i should be..

-when cruising, and i let off the pedal, then put my foot back on to accelerate, it feels like it hesitates, and then decides to accelerate.

- lack of downshifting. i was cruisng along around 35 and wanted to see if this problem was still occuring in other gears or what not. mashed the pedal but it wouldnt downshift and literally took me maybe 5 seconds to hit 60 from 35.. so its not shifting correctly

-stall at lights. so i have to throw it in neutral at every light and rev up a tiny bit when it turns green and throw it in drive otherwise itll die. i almost stalled twice just tonight with a cop following me. i put it in drive and hit the gas and it sputtered and shook and then decided to drive forward.
-backfire in intake? sometimes when i gun it or something i heard a sound that almost sounds like a backfire coming from the intake? earlier when i was testing my radiator in my garage id rev my jeep up a little (trying to get it to warm up faster - almost to operating temp so it wasnt cold) and it would hit 3k and wouldnt rev more. and if i pulled the lever more it would "Bang"... scared the living crap out of me.

-at 50mph +/- 2-3mph my torque converter cant decide if it wants to lock up or not. itll be in 4th gear, then drop to 3rd, then go back to 4th, and stuff. so i say **** it and gun it up to like 55 or 60.. its kind of annoying....

any ideas? this is bugging me.
most of these issues have to be fuel related, it just sounds right.
im thinking cam or crank sensor, fuel pump, or ?

help me out guys

i could take some vids if you guys want

My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University

Last edited by BLACKzj52; 05-02-2009 at 03:52 PM..
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2009, 01:57 AM   #2
BlingBlingZJ
2002 WJ 

mines been doing the same thing for about 2 months and currently is parked because it will not turn on anymore. At first it would stall but would turn on if I put it in neutral then it started getting worse running in Limp mode and now it will not turn on. Mine would only do it when warmed up and the only code I would get would be for the TPS but I replaced that 3 times and made sure the wiring was ok. I ordered a PCM from Kolak and am currently waiting for it to arrive and hopefully it fixes the problems.
Unread 05-02-2009, 08:20 AM   #3
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

You didn't say you had; so check for trouble codes.
Unread 05-02-2009, 08:38 AM   #4
Some_Anchovies
1995 ZJ 

It seems for my experience, that if you replace the TPS or IAC valve, or any electrical thing, You want to get a MOPAR version for wiring sake. Otherwise you will keep running into the same problem. Lets wait for the fuel filter. Mine was clogged up pretty fiece and when I replaced it it seemed to run slightly better.

This doesn't have to do with the dieing problem, but whens the last time you had your transmission fluid and filter changed, and gotten your bands adjusted? Check the codes as well. You have had the plugs, wires, air filter, replaced and checked the distributor cap for cracks haven't you?

What about the o2 sensor? could be getting a signal that theres too much/not enough gas, and so your running very lean or very rich. That could explain for the dieing at lights, hesitation, loss of power, backfiring.

I'm thinking that you've got a timing chain correct? Could you have bad timing as well?
Some_Anchovies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #5
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm2001wj View Post
You didn't say you had; so check for trouble codes.
12 & 55
battery unplugged & end
sorry forgot to include that.
when i was searching somebody has the EXACT same codes as me, however his crank sensor was still the cause. it didnt throw any codes tho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Anchovies View Post
It seems for my experience, that if you replace the TPS or IAC valve, or any electrical thing, You want to get a MOPAR version for wiring sake. Otherwise you will keep running into the same problem. Lets wait for the fuel filter. Mine was clogged up pretty fiece and when I replaced it it seemed to run slightly better.

This doesn't have to do with the dieing problem, but whens the last time you had your transmission fluid and filter changed, and gotten your bands adjusted? Check the codes as well. You have had the plugs, wires, air filter, replaced and checked the distributor cap for cracks haven't you?

What about the o2 sensor? could be getting a signal that theres too much/not enough gas, and so your running very lean or very rich. That could explain for the dieing at lights, hesitation, loss of power, backfiring.

I'm thinking that you've got a timing chain correct? Could you have bad timing as well?

-last time i had my tranny flushed was summer of 07, did it myself, adjusted the band that was on the inside of the valve body. couldnt get to the front band on top.
i was thinking the fuel filter had some impact but not THIS much..

-replaced the IAC from kolak (mopar)

-new 02 in january. altho it got crossthreaded it shouldnt do this much...or would it? theres a tiny leak coming from the o2 bung we welded on. i was thinking about red rtv'ing it and shutting that ***** up (o2 was from the dealership)

-never had an issue with timing, idk why it would be an issue now. nothing catastrophic happened. and if if my chain jumped, wouldnt i have noticed something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlingBlingZJ View Post
mines been doing the same thing for about 2 months and currently is parked because it will not turn on anymore. At first it would stall but would turn on if I put it in neutral then it started getting worse running in Limp mode and now it will not turn on. Mine would only do it when warmed up and the only code I would get would be for the TPS but I replaced that 3 times and made sure the wiring was ok. I ordered a PCM from Kolak and am currently waiting for it to arrive and hopefully it fixes the problems.
isnt the PCM part of the ECU?
if so, this might be a great excuse for my to get a mopar performance ECU from kolak iv been wanting one forever
My Build Thead
Facebook
Unread 05-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

I was hoping that a code would give some clue. Some of the possibilities for causing some of your difficulties would be (1) crankshaft position sensor (difficult starting and messed up ignition timing, (2) throttle position sensor (all kinds of drivability problems, and (3) MAP sensor (almost all of your problems; check the vacuum hose for leaks, but replacement probable). However, I think any of those bad enough to cause your difficulties would usually throw a code.
rm2001wj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

MAF sensor eh? wheres that located?
and i looked for the crank position sensor last night but couldnt find it.. isnt on the passenger side towards the back of the cylinder block/head (5.2)?

is it possible to try cleaning any of these and see if that clears anything up?

and i when i did a search, i found somebody who had a faulty crank sensor, but it never threw any codes at him. he just had 12 & 55 exactly like me..
My Build Thead
Facebook
Unread 05-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

did more searching. found out the backfiring is cuz of timing being off. and the timing is set by the ECU/PCM/whatever you wanna call it. its also effected by the crank and cam sensorss..

im leaning towards crank sensor because it seems like a common symptom of bad cam sensor is stalling while cruising at constant speeds. and mine has yet to do that..

what do you guys think?
My Build Thead
Facebook
Unread 05-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #9
BlingBlingZJ
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKzj52 View Post

isnt the PCM part of the ECU?
if so, this might be a great excuse for my to get a mopar performance ECU from kolak iv been wanting one forever
Yes PCM/ECM same thing...that was the reason I got it, I've always wanted a performance PCM and dealer wanted $400+ for a regular one.

Quote:
did more searching. found out the backfiring is cuz of timing being off. and the timing is set by the ECU/PCM/whatever you wanna call it. its also effected by the crank and cam sensorss..

im leaning towards crank sensor because it seems like a common symptom of bad cam sensor is stalling while cruising at constant speeds. and mine has yet to do that..

what do you guys think?
If you can replace the crank sensor then go ahead an do it although I already tried and FAILED! since you have to remove the Egr tube and there is no room to put your hands in there and I have some really skinny hands. If you do remove it and clean it up I think you have to put a paper spacer otherwise you will break the sensor when you fire it up.
Unread 05-02-2009, 02:08 PM   #10
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlingBlingZJ View Post

If you can replace the crank sensor then go ahead an do it although I already tried and FAILED! since you have to remove the Egr tube and there is no room to put your hands in there and I have some really skinny hands. If you do remove it and clean it up I think you have to put a paper spacer otherwise you will break the sensor when you fire it up.
iv got a 96 so i dont have the egr tube, i believe.
what do you mean by break the sensor?
My Build Thead
Facebook
Unread 05-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #11
BlingBlingZJ
2002 WJ 

oh that's right you are lucky! then all you have to do is remove the spark plug wires and reach down the valve cover. Well when you replace the crank sensor they come with a paper spacer on them that tears off when you start the engine I guess for proper clearance, Im not sure if you can remove it and put it back in without a spacer some say that the flywheel will hit the sensor and break it but I do know that when you buy one it has to have the paper spacer.
Unread 05-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #12
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Maybe these pics will help.
ckp-sensor.jpg   map-sensor.jpg  
rm2001wj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #13
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

i think i ruled out everything down to the ecu/computer...
i went to get a cd out of my radio and when i turned the key into the run position. lights started turning on, flickering, and doing a ton of ****.
had to unplug the battery to get them to stop. came back home and tried it again, same thing happened.
then it would start and stall. but this time when i put my foot on the pedal it wouldnt make a difference. it would just die.
took a vid. ill post it when it uploads

[YT]c0XbK108xvU[/YT]
dam youtube kills the vid quality. you could see everything but after it uploaded everything is dark.
towards the end where i am the camera down at my feet, i was showing that i was keeping my foot on the pedal and it was still dying

is that weird or what?

edit: thanks rm
My Build Thead
Facebook

Last edited by BLACKzj52; 05-02-2009 at 04:28 PM..
Unread 05-02-2009, 05:32 PM   #14
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
iv got a 96 so i dont have the egr tube, i believe.
what do you mean by break the sensor?
hey John, off topic....if you choose the route of flashing your ecu (pcm is part of the ecu...so the same....ok) you will need to send Kolak yours...which means now you have to get one to just to drive like I did. If that is the case...holler at me and I will loan you mine that I have laying around....k?
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #15
BlingBlingZJ
2002 WJ 

looks like the security system is disabling it somehow. Did you disable the alarm?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.