Cragar soft 8's... ! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Cragar soft 8's... !

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Cragar soft 8's... !

So I'm looking into getting some new wheels, right now i have stock waffle wheels that are painted black. I've thought about getting Cragar soft 8s, as everybody gets them so they can't be bad I'd guess.

My real question though is this:
I have stock tires which are 235/75/15

I'm assumming that my new rims won't fit these tires correctly and also fit my future tires... Which will probably be 285/70R17E

Link: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...6&blockType=G6

would i need 17 wide wheels?
How wide should i get?
Here's a link to summit racing cragar wheels list:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/B...keyword=Soft+8

Thanks for any help

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

Why would you put E rated 17" tires on a steel rim?
Unread 03-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrMechanic View Post
Why would you put E rated 17" tires on a steel rim?
Honestly idk what that means, thats just around the size that I would like.
What does E rated mean?

Unread 03-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

E rated is a very firm tire with a ten ply rating. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=55

I have e rated tires because that's the only ply they offered in the size I wanted. They are not bad but ride like a truck. I don't worry about puncturing them very often off road.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
E rated is a very firm tire with a ten ply rating. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=55

I have e rated tires because that's the only ply they offered in the size I wanted. They are not bad but ride like a truck. I don't worry about puncturing them very often off road.
Gotcha, thanks!

Do you know what size wheel i need to get?

Unread 03-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

I hate steel wheels. They're heavy and they rust eventually. For a trail only rig fine, but if you drive it much there's a performance and mileage penalty that comes along with them.

You don't need a 17" wide wheel, that 17" measurement is for the diameter. A 17" tire goes on a 17" wheel, as a 16" tire goes on a 16" wheel, and so on.

I wouldn't go over 8" wide for the wheels, in fact as long as that tire isn't more than 10.50" wide, a 7" wide wheel will work as well. That's what I run with my 31x10.50's, and it works very well.
Mike97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike97ZJ
I hate steel wheels. They're heavy and they rust eventually. For a trail only rig fine, but if you drive it much there's a performance and mileage penalty that comes along with them.

You don't need a 17" wide wheel, that 17" measurement is for the diameter. A 17" tire goes on a 17" wheel, as a 16" tire goes on a 16" wheel, and so on.

I wouldn't go over 8" wide for the wheels, in fact as long as that tire isn't more than 10.50" wide, a 7" wide wheel will work as well. That's what I run with my 31x10.50's, and it works very well.
Thanks! Are there other cheap wheels that you know of that aren't steel??

Unread 03-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
LouC
2007 WK 

First what do you want to accomplish? If you want to use the Jeep off road, the steel wheels are OK because they can take a beating and be replaced for much less than an alloy wheel. I am not a big fan of aftermarket wheels that are not hub centric. Many aftermarket wheels are not. Most OE wheels are hub centric, meaning that the centering hole fits perfectly on the hub. Hub centric wheels are much less suseptible to vibrations because the wheel/tire assembly runs in the proper relationship to the hub. If you want steel wheels, you can get 15x7 steel wheels that were used on Cherokees and Wranglers from Chrysler still, they are hub centric and fit perfect. And your current tires will fit fine. You can go up to a 30" tall by 9.5 in wide tire max on a stock ZJ with no lift and they will fit those rims fine. The OE steel rims will cost more but fit better and run truer. I have steel wheels for my snow tires on my 98 ZJ (OE Cherokee rims) and for my 07 WK (Steel OE rims used for spares on WKs). Yes they do weigh more, but I don't see any big problem with them at all.
LouC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #9
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC
First what do you want to accomplish? If you want to use the Jeep off road, the steel wheels are OK because they can take a beating and be replaced for much less than an alloy wheel. I am not a big fan of aftermarket wheels that are not hub centric. Many aftermarket wheels are not. Most OE wheels are hub centric, meaning that the centering hole fits perfectly on the hub. Hub centric wheels are much less suseptible to vibrations because the wheel/tire assembly runs in the proper relationship to the hub. If you want steel wheels, you can get 15x7 steel wheels that were used on Cherokees and Wranglers from Chrysler still, they are hub centric and fit perfect. And your current tires will fit fine. You can go up to a 30" tall by 9.5 in wide tire max on a stock ZJ with no lift and they will fit those rims fine. The OE steel rims will cost more but fit better and run truer. I have steel wheels for my snow tires on my 98 ZJ (OE Cherokee rims) and for my 07 WK (Steel OE rims used for spares on WKs). Yes they do weigh more, but I don't see any big problem with them at all.
So how can I know if its hub centric or not? I see a lot of jeeps in my area running similar wheels to these ones that I found. No zj's with them though, I've only seen one our two zjs around here that are lifted/modded.

So say I bought a 15x8 wheel? Could my stock tires fit that you think?
(the main reason I would get new wheels is for less back spacing over stock jeep wheels, I.e. 4 inches[the ones I want] instead of 5.25 inches[i think is my stock wheels bs]
Thanks! : thumbsup:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.