Cracked the trottle body, 98' 5.2... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Cracked the trottle body, 98' 5.2...

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
WarchildSRT10
1998 ZJ 

Cracked the trottle body, 98' 5.2...

Hello guys,

I was cleaning the throttle body to deal with the rough idling. I cleaned it really good, but I accidentaly over tightened one of the bolts and cracked it. Theres no evident space between the cracks and it doesn't go through the middle.

It's my DD and Im really worried that it might suddenly come off the engine. I need to change it, ASAP.

I got the ZJ 3 months ago and the thing is I just bought a 2" BB lift, new spark plugs, new spark plug wires, new distributor cap, 4 new rotors and brake pads all round, so the budget is very tight...

I don't live in the US (Im from chile, in south america) and im having a lot of problems to find a used one locally. So im tinking of buying one online like I did with the other parts, but I cant find a seller that ships via UPS or FedEx, because USPS takes about 2 months to deliver it.

I dont even know if its possible to fix the cracked one...

What can I do? does anybody know where I can find a seller that makes international shipping like UPS or FedEx or something? can I fix it? how?

Thanks!

WarchildSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
exmilitary
1998 ZJ 

You can try this company. I deal with them all time. They are reasonable in price. The link is on the bottom

www.rockauto.com
exmilitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Rockauto is a great company but they don't sell the throttle body.

I would think a junkyard is your best bet for finding one quick. Other than that ebay it and wait the time shipping takes. For future reference you don't need very much torque on the throttle body to get it to seal. I just snug them down and then give it another half turn.
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I've never seen a 5.2 throttle body but as long as it's just cracked you can seal the cracks with JB Weld or epoxy and bolt it back on for now. This assumes that the sealing surface can be kept flat and smooth and there aren't any coolant passages or idle air passages that you can't get to to seal. All you need to do is seal a very small air leak that's not under a lot of pressure.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

There are 4 bolts on TB. It will stay put with 3. Do not over tighten them as you found out. It's aluminum. Post a pic of the damage. Did you just break the ear?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #6
dunkeye11
1996 ZJ 

I have a spare! But! It has a bolt broke off where the air cleaner goes
If you believe you can remove it it is your for free if you pay for shipping to chile
dunkeye11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 04:02 AM   #7
exmilitary
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkeye11 View Post
I have a spare! But! It has a bolt broke off where the air cleaner goes
If you believe you can remove it it is your for free if you pay for shipping to chile
Thats nice for you to help out.
The bolt at the top is easy to get out.
Unread 06-28-2013, 06:05 AM   #8
exmilitary
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm8881 View Post
Rockauto is a great company but they don't sell the throttle body.

I would think a junkyard is your best bet for finding one quick. Other than that ebay it and wait the time shipping takes. For future reference you don't need very much torque on the throttle body to get it to seal. I just snug them down and then give it another half turn.
Just looked it up this morning. They do sell it, if it is not in stock they will get it.
Unread 06-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
zonkerd
1995 ZJ 

J&W wreckers here in sacramento has tones of zj`s. picked up all 4 doors loaded for 300.00! they ship too heres there #1-916-723-3950. they are a jeep yard
Unread 06-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #10
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmilitary View Post
Just looked it up this morning. They do sell it, if it is not in stock they will get it.
all i saw when i looked was a rebuild service for it. you send yours in and they rebuild it and send it back.
Unread 06-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #11
exmilitary
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
all i saw when i looked was a rebuild service for it. you send yours in and they rebuild it and send it back.
You right.
I stand corrected it still might worth looking into.
Unread 06-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #12
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

i cant imagine what they do to it to "rebuild" it. there really isnt much to these throttle bodies.
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #13
WarchildSRT10
1998 ZJ 

Thanks guys! I will post pictures when I get back home.

Would this work to seal the cracks?:
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/epx...g-Compound.htm

I can find the same epoxy here. It just has a diferent packing, but is the same brand.

Im sorry I didnt reply sooner, but I was expecting to get notifications to my email, but somehow i didnt.

I will post back in a few hours.

Thanks!
WarchildSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #14
exmilitary
1998 ZJ 

You can try it. Make sure the area you are working with is clean before applying.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.