CPS sensor broke in housing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > CPS sensor broke in housing

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 10-29-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
Fizza
2002 WJ 

CPS sensor broke in housing

Hi guys,

I have a 99 Grand Cherokee WJ 4.0i6 in the UK.
The engine has cut out ocationally over the last few weeks which brought up the code for the cps failing.
I ordered a new cps from the dealer and decided to change it today after searching here on how to do it.
After removing the bolt I found the top has broken off with about 1/4" sticking out of the gearbox bellhousing.
As it is impossible to get at with grips to twist it out does anyone know, if I removed the following: Mech Fan, exhaust, gearbox cross mount etc could I tip the engine/box down enough to get access to the cps with some grips?

Has this happened to anyone before?

I really hope someone can help me as I am really gutted this has happened.

Thanks and Best Wishes,

John.

Addcco Rear Sway Bar
Just a Novice-Eager to learn
Fizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
lasvegas
1995 ZJ 

That SUCKS!!!

Sorry to hear the bad news. The only thing I can think of is to maybe heat up the bell housing a little with a propane torch but not too much, and tap the bolt VERY lightly side to side and then try to get vice grips the best you can on it. Once it turns a little you might be able to get it out by hand when it cools down. The heat should expand the metal enough to loosen it. Hope this helps.
lasvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Unbolt the crossmember and drop it down a bit. That should give you just enough room to get at it with a pair of pliers.
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
oldfamilyguy

I had a real tough time getting the cps bolts out once. they were on really hard and I was getting worried about rounding them. So I was thinking like you how to get a better way to get on them. I thought about cutting through the floor/tunnel and they would be right there. Well I decided to go under for one last try before cutting and they came out. Go figure? So I never did the cutting but I think it could work for you if it comes to that.
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2009, 10:41 AM   #5
Fizza
2002 WJ 

Thanks very much guys, I will give both sugestions a try tomorrow and let you know how I get on.
Thanks again.
Addcco Rear Sway Bar
Unread 10-30-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

are the wires still attached to keep it from falling down inside?
jclaudii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #7
Fizza
2002 WJ 

Hi,

no the wires have come away with a little circuit board.

Can the sensor fall inside? I thought it could only go as far as the flywheel where it picks up the signal.
Youve got me worried now, if it does fall inside that would mean a engine/gearbox split. oh crap!

Never got chance to work on it today as its pouring down here in the UK and the Jeep is outside on ramps!

Will keep you all posted on how I get on

Thanks
Addcco Rear Sway Bar
Unread 10-30-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
Ved

It wont fall down inside. It has a very small air gap between the end of the sensor and the flywheel.

If I were in your situation, I would try spraying the crap out of it with penetrating oil. Let is sit overnight then take a long screwdriver and tap it down a bit to unseize it. Then try to get needle nose pliers on it to pull it out. OR, If that fails, You could also try screwing a long 3" drywall screw into it so you have something to grab onto with pliers to work it out with.

There is a good chance it is touching the flywheel, so simply rotating the crank pulley a bit might free it up.

If all else fails your looking at dropping the trans a bit and hope you can tap it out from inside the bell housing without having to remove the flywheel.
Unread 11-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #9
Fizza
2002 WJ 

Hi guys,

Thought I would give you a quck update.
My intension was to drop the tranny a bit so I could get access but this was a non-starter (pardon the pun!) I didnt have a spanner big enough to remove the mech fan then I couldnt loosen the exhaust bolts.

I then decided to go at it from the top!

Completely removed the dash so I could get at the transmision tunnel and after removing the gear cable plates I could see the cps. Recip saw in hand I cut a section approx 4" square out then tried to grip the sensor but the damm thing still wouldnt budge.

Now what!

A bit drastic I know, but I decided to drill the side of the bell housing alongside the cps, I was then able to get a screwdriver in the side of the cps and force it up. Yippeee!! it worked and out it popped.
After feeding the wire/connector through via a piece of string attached to the old wire I fitted the new cps. (I had to use a little copper grease to help it as it was very tight in the hole)
Turned the engine over and she fired up (sigh of relief) but took a while before it would tick over (kept stopping) you could here the card spacer being shreded off then it started to idle ok.
I then repaired the hole with metal putty and replaced the 4" plate.

Everythings back together now and I am sure it runs a heck of a lot better, tickover is 600rpm instead of 900rpm (very strange!)

I would like to thank you all for your input and suggestions they were very much appreciated.

Thanks and Best Wishes,

John.
Addcco Rear Sway Bar
Unread 11-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #10
oldfamilyguy

Happy to hear you got it done. Where theres a will, theres a way (most of the time)
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 06:00 PM   #11
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizza View Post
Completely removed the dash so I could get at the transmision tunnel and after removing the gear cable plates I could see the cps. Recip saw in hand I cut a section approx 4" square out
That's a first!
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.