Cowl air intake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Cowl air intake

Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic HalogFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-20

Unread 11-05-2009, 01:34 AM   #1
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

Cowl air intake

Copy and pasted from another board:

I saw this idea on an XJ and thought it was pretty cool.

It seems like the cowl drains very quickly, but I am concerned in an instance of an inordinant ammount of rain watter flooding the windshield and collecting in the cowl, and then flooding the filter. Upon further inspection, the bottom of the windshield (under the plastic cowl cover) there is a lip that will help as a gutter.

If the hood were to ever be under water, the engine would begin sucking in water, lets hope it never gets that deep.

Here is what I got done tonight, it seems to be working alright, there is a loud swish noise when you first turn the key, but then all is quiet after the innitial gasp.

I used a 3" holesaw to make the hole in the cowl wall, then widened it out to fit the 90*. I will likely buy a good piece of flex tube to go the entire rout, from hat to filter.

As you can see I turned the airhat 180*, it worked perfect and doesn't interfere with the throttle cable. I also cut the cowl cover in half, making it much easier in the future to clean/inspect/replace the filter underneath. This way the wiper arms don't have to be removed EVERY time. PITA, those arms.

We'll see how it works in the long run.

1998 5.9 limited, DT headers, CAI, 3" exhaust.
FortCollinsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 03:06 AM   #2
Kramer H
Built and Supercharged 47

2001 WJ 

i like this setup, for a street jeep. in any instance, water WILL get to that filter, that gutter cant help that.. but its a clean, sweet setup im sure
K8 GSXR 1000- Racefit,Comp Werks,Puig,Woodcraft,B2 Industries,55W HID'S, R&G Engineering, Two brothers, ASV, DDM, "The pantie dropper"
Kramer H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 04:39 AM   #3
ZJcrawler45
1998 ZJ 

i do not like this set up. I cannot see putting a filter for the engine where all the rain water collects.
Unread 11-05-2009, 05:09 AM   #4
footinmouth47
1998 ZJ 

it only rains like 3 times a year in Fort Collins so he will most likely be fine. Im sure it has also freed up lodes of space for another bat. or a place to relocate the charcoal canister.
Greg

Built not Bought member #247

SOLD:( new DD- 04 polaris sportsman
footinmouth47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 06:08 AM   #5
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJcrawler45 View Post
i do not like this set up. I cannot see putting a filter for the engine where all the rain water collects.
A filter in the engine eh? Hmmmm.... never thought of putting it there!!!

From the few setups I have seen for cowl air intakes, they work. I have yet to see anyone with an issue.

Think about interstate driving, with a stock setup the rain water is flying straight into the grill, into the intake, not hydrolocking the engine. also think about any 5.9 with a CAI, that hood louver sits directly above the intake filter.

This setup is alot higher than the stock airbox, and will obviously have a cover on the cowl.

Here is another cool setup.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/a...ite-up-741764/

1998 5.9 limited, DT headers, CAI, 3" exhaust.
FortCollinsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 07:22 AM   #6
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortCollinsZJ View Post
A filter in the engine eh? Hmmmm.... never thought of putting it there!!!

From the few setups I have seen for cowl air intakes, they work. I have yet to see anyone with an issue.

Think about interstate driving, with a stock setup the rain water is flying straight into the grill, into the intake, not hydrolocking the engine. also think about any 5.9 with a CAI, that hood louver sits directly above the intake filter.

This setup is alot higher than the stock airbox, and will obviously have a cover on the cowl.

Here is another cool setup.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/a...ite-up-741764/
The hood louver has a tray underneath that directs the water to the fender. The bigger issue is water coming through the hole under the airbox or through the grill with a 5.9.
Unread 11-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

I would at least put a deflector on top to prevent direct water contact, but I live in oregon . More rain than sun and I love it! Puddles to romp trough! Lol

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
ExpeditionXJ

So how is this mod working for you? Any revisions or issues since? Can the filter fit below the plastic cowl cover.. thinking of perforating the cover off to the side of the filter.

I had been wanting to do this as well, i need the airbox space for a second battery. Coming from an XJ with a snorkel i really like a cold air intake source... but dont like the ZJ lines with a snorkel.

Anyone else done this?
ExpeditionXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
mdoffroad
2004 WJ 

Love to hear an update too...
Unread 07-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #10
gothchick
1998 ZJ 

Interesting idea... Seems a little exposed to the elements.

Finished 4x2 --> 4x4 conversion.
gothchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #11
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

He's probably got the bugs worked out or went another direction by now, 2 years after his post.
Unread 07-01-2011, 11:11 PM   #12
paulyboy
1996 ZJ 

i didn't like the lines with all the snorkels either on the zj that's why i took the go big or go home attitude and made mine come out the passenger side

paulyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 11:12 PM   #13
paulyboy
1996 ZJ 

wow didnt realize this was old as hell lol
Unread 07-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #14
ExpeditionXJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster51 View Post
He's probably got the bugs worked out or went another direction by now, 2 years after his post.

Exactly why i asked, couldnt find more info on a cowl setup here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyboy View Post
i didn't like the lines with all the snorkels either on the zj that's why i took the go big or go home attitude and made mine come out the passenger side

Yeah, i'm not a fan of the PVC stuff either.
ExpeditionXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #15
paulyboy
1996 ZJ 

so get some aluminum tubing that's what im going to eventually end up with. I basically used standard piping just to see it it would even be possible have not seen a zj with passenger exit yet.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.