couple ?s - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > couple ?s

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 10-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
copengrizz01
1997 ZJ 

couple ?s

i have a 97 zj 5.2 220,000 miles running strong!

first thing, when i turn left or right i get a loud pop coming from drivers side. ive replaced tie rod ends, drag link bar, and track bar due to death wobble. death wobble is gone and it drives 100% better but im getting that pop when i turn. i had my dad look as i turned the wheel back and forth and yes it pops even sitting still and turning the wheel back and forth, anyway he thinks its coming from the suspension spring. but i dont think so. i think its somewhere around the wheel, ball joints look fine tire has no play at all. its just getting annoying its getting to the point where people are looking over at me when i pull into a store or where ever lol

and my other problem is here lately it randomly dosnt want to start. i can hop in it head to the store come back out and it will just turn over and over and over and wont start wont even try to fire at all then it will just randomly fire up and run smooth. its like the coil wire is disconnected then re connected and it starts up fine. it normally fires up within a second after i turn the key. im not getting any codes. i replaced fuel pump and regulator about a month ago even though i know this isnt a fuel problem just thought id let you know lol

edit: forgot to add im also getting a noise from the rear end sounds like a bearing or something. id almost say its a growl sound only because thats about the only thing i can think of to explain the noise and ive seen someone else describe it that way. checked oil and its full but looks kinda black.
well thanks for any help!

copengrizz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by copengrizz01 View Post
i have a 97 zj 5.2 220,000 miles running strong!

first thing, when i turn left or right i get a loud pop coming from drivers side. ive replaced tie rod ends, drag link bar, and track bar due to death wobble. death wobble is gone and it drives 100% better but im getting that pop when i turn. i had my dad look as i turned the wheel back and forth and yes it pops even sitting still and turning the wheel back and forth, anyway he thinks its coming from the suspension spring. but i dont think so. i think its somewhere around the wheel, ball joints look fine tire has no play at all. its just getting annoying its getting to the point where people are looking over at me when i pull into a store or where ever lol

and my other problem is here lately it randomly dosnt want to start. i can hop in it head to the store come back out and it will just turn over and over and over and wont start wont even try to fire at all then it will just randomly fire up and run smooth. its like the coil wire is disconnected then re connected and it starts up fine. it normally fires up within a second after i turn the key. im not getting any codes. i replaced fuel pump and regulator about a month ago even though i know this isnt a fuel problem just thought id let you know lol

edit: forgot to add im also getting a noise from the rear end sounds like a bearing or something. id almost say its a growl sound only because thats about the only thing i can think of to explain the noise and ive seen someone else describe it that way. checked oil and its full but looks kinda black.
well thanks for any help!

Front clunk:
Sway bar bushings, maybe end link bushings?
Did you get a bar under the tire to check those ball joints? That always worked well for me.

The rear whine is probably carrier and/or axle bearings. Those are pretty painless if you have a vice or a press

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Yup, sounds like front sway bar end links.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
copengrizz01
1997 ZJ 

random no start hasnt happened for a few days

all bushings up front look good, ill have to take another look when its not raining

and for the rear end how exactly would i know if the carrier or axle bearings are bad? it definitely sounds like a bearing but how do i know which ones need replaced?
Unread 10-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Take the cover off, pull the bearing caps. pull the carrier. Look for pits in the races and bearings. And/or excessive metal in the diff lube

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

If your gear oil is black/dirty it sure wouldn't hurt to change it out if/when you do an inspection.

Here's a little insight from the FSM on gear and bearing noises.
gear-bearing-noise-med-size-.-p.3-3.jpg  

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Front pops can be bad CV's swaybar endlinks, and never underestimate the track bar even if it's new. The track bar bracket itself could be not tight enough even if it feels tight. Sometimes I would have to loosen the track bar bracket st the frame and retorque the bolts. I try to tighten them all equally and not just do one bolt at a time so they all get snug together. After that I bubba tighten them. My bracket sometimes came lose or shifted after some more moderate to hard wheeling and it would pop in turns.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
copengrizz01
1997 ZJ 

okay no start is happening again! happens about every other day. today it ran just fine all day long has been starting up perfectly fine, i just got in it and it wont start just cranks over and over and over. and i bet money i will get in it in the morning and it will fire right up. its like something is shutting off spark to the coil or something but what i dont get it starts fine all the time theres just these random moments when it wont. i just spent like 30min wiggling wires and cranking it over and it wouldnt start so i called it quits before i ended up breaking something lol
anyone have any ideas why or what would be causeing this? really wanna get it fixed before winter so im not out there in the snow wiggling wires lol
Unread 10-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
dave_dj1
1994 ZJ 

I would check the steering box for the pop, mine is doing that, even without it running and just turning the wheel back and forth a little.
No start issue I would look at grounds. I had a YJ that would do it occasionally and after I cleaned all the grounds it never happened again.
Unread 10-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by copengrizz01 View Post
okay no start is happening again! happens about every other day. today it ran just fine all day long has been starting up perfectly fine, i just got in it and it wont start just cranks over and over and over. and i bet money i will get in it in the morning and it will fire right up. its like something is shutting off spark to the coil or something but what i dont get it starts fine all the time theres just these random moments when it wont. i just spent like 30min wiggling wires and cranking it over and it wouldnt start so i called it quits before i ended up breaking something lol
anyone have any ideas why or what would be causeing this? really wanna get it fixed before winter so im not out there in the snow wiggling wires lol
A few days late on this one and just saw it. Try the crank sensor test w/a multimeter in my signature and if bad don't replace with anything else other than Mopar. Also read through ZeeJay's dirty dozen link. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Unread 11-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
copengrizz01
1997 ZJ 

okay so the crankshaft position sensor is what i need to be checking right? everything i look up keeps saying camshaft and crankshaft and i believe the camshaft sensor is under the distributor cap and the crankshaft is on the bell housing right? when trying to start it, after cranking it over a few times i get a code P0340 which says something about the camshaft position sensor so i just went ahead and replaced that and the cap and rotor since i had it off. but it still randomly wont start. its like every other time i go and try to start it it wont start just cranks.
Unread 11-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #12
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

When you replaced the cam sensor did you remove the battery ground cable or have you done so since? It's supposed to be disconnected when unplugging/working on any sensor. Then after your sensor is connected re-connect the neg battery cable which resets the PCM. If you haven't done this do it now.

The cam and crank sensor work in unison to supply spark to the engine/fuel to the injectors in the proper sequence by supplying info they gather to the PCM which distributes it. The code for a faulty cam sensor is P0340 but often a bad crank sensor won't throw any code which is supposed to be P0320.

First I'd check the cam sensor connector to make sure you are getting a 5V power supply to it with the key on. I'd also test the crank sensor to make sure you're getting power to it also. Hopefully you still have the meter you borrowed and if not they're only about $20.

The crank sensor test I have in my sig is not necessarily fail-safe and it's somewhat difficult to do if you're trying to just hold the meter probe pins on the little pins in the connector with the CKP installed. Also as I mentioned in the test I did have a bad crank sensor once which tested OK on one side of the engine compartment but bad on the other side. This was caused by a bad wire(s) right at the connector which were shorted.

Below is a real good video of testing the crank sensor for power. Link is courtesy of Oldfrog which I may also add to my signature too as a link/test. I still suspect you have a bad crank sensor causing a no-start problem or wouldn't even be posting this.

And here's a good link on diagnosing most no-start problems which is a link straight from ZeeJay's dirty dozen. Since your 97 is OBDII you should have 5V of power to the sensors rather than 8V on years 1995 and lower. Good luck!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/n.../#post15703248

Unread 11-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #13
copengrizz01
1997 ZJ 

okay its been a few days and its getting worse. i tested both crank and cam sensor and im getting 5v. i also replaced crank sensor with a mopar and im still getting random no start or i should say now im getting a random start. now its basically everytime i start it and let it run for 20min then shut it off let it sit for 20min and it wont start. today i had to go to the grocery store started up fine when leaving home but after i got out of the store it wouldnt start. i sat there for atleast 2 hours trying to get it to start and it just wasnt happening, ended up having my dad pick me up and i went back to it after 3 hours and wouldnt you know it it fired right up. i just dont get it, when it starts up it runs flawlessly no spit and sputter or anything not even a hiccup. ive also noticed i only get the P0340 code after ive been cranking it over several times. im gonna do i really good visual inspection of all the wires in the morning. ohh and yes i do disconnect battery when messing with sensors. thanks for your help i appreciate it!
Unread 11-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #14
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Since you're still getting the cam sensor code remove the cap and see if you have a bunch of side play in the distributor shaft throwing it off. Also checking the wires closely is a good idea and make sure you don't have corrosion where the relays make contact in the PDC. Make sure your horn works then flip the relay with the ADS relay. Check the coil to see if it's sending out a spark while not starting. Are you engine grounds good and clean? You don't have a security system do you?

I'm kinda grasping at straws here and those intermittent no-start problems are the worst to troubleshoot. I'd go through ZeeJay's dirty dozen thread in my signature.

Unread 11-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #15
copengrizz01
1997 ZJ 

distributor shaft has no play. ive tried switching the relays several times yesterday when it wouldnt start. and when its not starting theres no spark coming from the coil. engine grounds are good. and i do have a python security system, looks like someone installed it defiantly not stock. also its been acting up latley, when i use remote start it just fires up for 2 seconds and shuts off, and the alarm dosnt sound anymore. if this might be causing my no start is there a way to just rip it out of there? dont really need it anyways

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.