couple quick questions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > couple quick questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-11-2010, 10:53 PM   #16
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

lol. its always empty...just empty every pocket.

i've heard that temp is pretty normal. it never goes over 210 and only hits 210 when i'm flooring it for a little while.

i'm going to run to autozone tomorrow and see if there are codes and start hunting down a voltmeter to do someother tests so i dont just start buying random parts that do no good. lol

Moss Green 95 5.2l zj- 3in lift (2" BB + Upcountry coils), 255 75 R17 BFG M/T on JK Moabs, Durango Airhat, Mopar ECU, Mopar Tire Carrier
vonericsen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #17
nlynd1978
2001 WJ 

What kind and weight oil are you using out of curiosity.

As for the temp mine sits at about there when driving on a 70 degree or 95 degree day. I have not overheated yet. when i towed my friends car, i hit just barely above the 210 mark and it never when higher. It was about 85 degrees and very humid that day.

Looking for help- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/completely-turns-off-while-driving-no-codes-1049268/
nlynd1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 01:38 PM   #18
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

it currently has Pennzoil 5w30 in it and it is due for a change.

Moss Green 95 5.2l zj- 3in lift (2" BB + Upcountry coils), 255 75 R17 BFG M/T on JK Moabs, Durango Airhat, Mopar ECU, Mopar Tire Carrier
Unread 07-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #19
sirgildus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe that's the reason you have such a low oil pressure.
sirgildus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #20
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

that might be it, but i have a feeling my low idle plays a part in this too.

i just went and cycled the key between on and off a few times to get codes and all i got was 12 meaning i disconnected the battery within the last 50 key-on cycles. i disconnected it when i was pulling out the IAC to clean it.

Unread 07-12-2010, 11:37 PM   #21
Whiskeypete
2012 JK Wrangler 

may be talking apples to oranges.....not sure which engine your running

i recently cleaned out the throttle body and a month before that did a spark plug job. after cleaning the TB my idle rpm went from an avg of 1000-1500, down to 500-1000. sometimes i had the hesitation when i floored it but that is now gone.

my oil temp sensor drives me batty. im on the other end of the spectrum. when the engine is warm and running it sits at 60. the engine temp sits a tick or two over 210. different fluids will cause different results but the range to me is just wonky from one GC to the next
Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 12:13 AM   #22
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

i've got the 5.2l v8. when i pulled out the IAC to clean i also cleaned the TB. didn't make much of a difference. the throttle response a little better but i still have some hesitation but it isnt nearly as bad as it was. the idle went up a little when its warm, but it still isnt quite right and it comes close to stalling when shifting into drive or reverse.

i'm still reading up on what may cause this. to keep the warranty on my rebuilt engine i need to take it to get a tune up so i'll ask whoever i have do that, check if there's anything that isn't functioning correctly.

i also made the investment into a service manual. i ordered the cd version. i'm sure it'll help with a lot and it might help with this issue...we'll see when it arrives

Unread 07-22-2010, 02:50 PM   #23
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

my idle is still low, but i have thoroughly cleaned the throttle body and iac and that helped a little bit. I just disconnected the o2 sensor and drove it a bit. i dont really have hesitation anymore, but i'm going to leave it like this for a few days to see if hesitation returns or not. any other ideas on the idle(when warm)?

Unread 07-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #24
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

ok, so i just changed the oil and had the transmission fluid and filter changed and the transfer case fluid changed and the differential fluid changed.
I also had the fuel filter replaced and i currently am running BG 44k fuel system cleaner and so far it has helped a little bit. the idle is still a little low though.
I was told i might have a cat problem (it rattles), but i'm not entirely sure if that is the problem or not.

heres another picture (sorry for crappy cellphone pic):

should i get out a voltmeter (or walk to the engineering building on campus) and test the tps? or could all of this relate to a bad cat? I've also noticed when i shift gears the idle drops and takes a second to bring itself back up and it doesn't always go back to what the idle was before shifting, would that be a IAC issue, torque converter issue, or is that normal?

Unread 07-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #25
sirgildus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

As long as your idle is fine when the transmission is engaged and when the engine has reached operating temperature and is still running smooth at load, I wouldn't worry too much about the idle.
sirgildus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #26
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

it just seems really low sometimes...sometimes it seems to stop at one spot then gradually settle into something lower. Thats the only thing that bothers me about it. Sometimes it feels like its going to die but it hasnt yet

Tags
low , idle , temp , temperature , throttle , hesitation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.