Couple of questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Couple of questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-09-2015, 08:56 AM   #1
bahamit_147
1994 ZJ 

Couple of questions

I've got a few questions/comments.
1. How many grease points are there in the front end of a 94 jz? Was changing oil last night and only visually saw three to grease, wanna make sure I didn't miss any.
2. Could they have put the oil filter any closer to the exhaust? I've never nearly burned my hand changing an oil filter before, holy ****...
3. I've got an occasional low RPM stall. I've read a bunch of threads and with my luck just missed the one I wanted to read. It's a 94, with the 5.2L motor. It only happens when I go from a stop and give it a quick bit of throttle (then foot off the gas), such as backing up and just need a little more speed or moving around a parking lot. The same happens when I go from stand still to gas to stop again quickly, stop and go traffic. What happens is the RPM will jump normal for accel then drop to far such as rather than down to the 750 for idle.down to maybe 100 RPM.and sometimes will stall and sometimes will pick back up and jump to 1200 and steady out (where if I'm not on the brakes it will lurch forward.
What are a few things I can look into for this, I intend to do the plenum this summer,
4. I want to clean the motor and have good pressure washers at work with an engine foam degreaser. What are points other than the obvious that I should avoid hitting with pressurized water. (Pcm, ignition wires etc being obvious).
5. How much pressure should be in the coolant lines? Just replaced upper rad hose and when it's running or just been running I can't compress it at all, just wondering if that's normal or not, after the engines been off for a while the pressure is gone.
6. Are the coolant temp sensor and thermostat easily accessible for this motor (easy to do in my driveway easy?). I've also read so many mixed reviews about temp for the thermostat, for a daily driver what temp one should I get?

Sorry bout the long post, figured one would be better than several and a rant. Thanks in advance, waiting for parts for my laptop so running off my phone.

bahamit_147 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2015, 08:54 AM   #2
bahamit_147
1994 ZJ 

1. Still wondering number of grease points.
2. Still pissed about the oil filter position.
3. I've got an occasional low RPM stall. I've read a bunch of threads and with my luck just missed the one I wanted to read. It's a 94, with the 5.2L motor. It only happens when I go from a stop and give it a quick bit of throttle (then foot off the gas), such as backing up and just need a little more speed or moving around a parking lot. The same happens when I go from stand still to gas to stop again quickly, stop and go traffic. What happens is the RPM will jump normal for accel then drop to far such as rather than down to the 750 for idle.down to maybe 100 RPM.and sometimes will stall and sometimes will pick back up and jump to 1200 and steady out (where if I'm not on the brakes it will lurch forward. What are a few things I can look into for this, I intend to do the plenum this summer,
4. I want to clean the motor and have good pressure washers at work with an engine foam degreaser. What are points other than the obvious that I should avoid hitting with pressurized water. (Pcm, ignition wires etc being obvious).
5. Problem was stuck thermostat (only opens like 5%) replaced.
6. What size deep socket does the coolant temp sender need to be removed, I believe it is 13 mm but please correct me. Noticed that when I brake the coolant temp goes up and when I release the brake it drops again. So wondering if that's happened to anyone before and if that means that the sensor is fine but a wire is crossed etc.
Unread 03-11-2015, 09:42 AM   #3
corycarr84

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamit_147 View Post
1. Still wondering number of grease points.
2. Still pissed about the oil filter position.
3. I've got an occasional low RPM stall. I've read a bunch of threads and with my luck just missed the one I wanted to read. It's a 94, with the 5.2L motor. It only happens when I go from a stop and give it a quick bit of throttle (then foot off the gas), such as backing up and just need a little more speed or moving around a parking lot. The same happens when I go from stand still to gas to stop again quickly, stop and go traffic. What happens is the RPM will jump normal for accel then drop to far such as rather than down to the 750 for idle.down to maybe 100 RPM.and sometimes will stall and sometimes will pick back up and jump to 1200 and steady out (where if I'm not on the brakes it will lurch forward. What are a few things I can look into for this, I intend to do the plenum this summer,
5. Problem was stuck thermostat (only opens like 5%) replaced.
6. What size deep socket does the coolant temp sender need to be removed, I believe it is 13 mm but please correct me. Noticed that when I brake the coolant temp goes up and when I release the brake it drops again. So wondering if that's happened to anyone before and if that means that the sensor is fine but a wire is crossed etc.
Answers)
1) I believe it is 7 grease zerks last time I counted.
2) oil filter position does suck.
3) I want to tell you to run some seafoam through it but i'm not really sure what the problem it.
5) I figured this would be your problem
6) I just changed mine a couple weeks ago I want to say it was a 13mm, my suggestion to this one is take the wire off before you buy a new sensor check the shape of the plugin and how many prongs it has, my local auto shop got it wrong so I ordered one from amazon.
hope this helps a little at least
corycarr84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2015, 10:38 AM   #4
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I've got a few questions/comments.
3. I've got an occasional low RPM stall.
I'd look into cleaning your IAC valve. Possible vacuum leak? Clogged exhaust?

Quote:
I've spray-cleaned my engine compartment a couple of times, and have never had issues. I do try to avoid concentrating the pressure at anything electrical. I have never had to remove my distributor to dry it out. The Jeep has restarted right after being sprayed.

Quote:
6. Are the coolant temp sensor and thermostat easily accessible for this motor (easy to do in my driveway easy?). I've also read so many mixed reviews about temp for the thermostat, for a daily driver what temp one should I get?
FAIK, most run the stock 195 degree F thermostat. Those who don't, generally have negative consequences of some sort.
MrRoundel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2015, 09:36 PM   #5
tjcustomranger

I have the same issue as #3, if you let of the gas it idles down to 100 or stalls. I ckeaned my iac and it didnt make any difference, i put my new coil in that i got still made no difference. So if you figure it out before me let me know what you did to fix it please. Ive tried seafoam and i put a bottle of techron in it, but i wont know if the techron helped until i actually drive it enough...
tjcustomranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2015, 08:19 AM   #6
tjcustomranger

I dont know if it was the techron i ran through my jeep or driving it kinda hard and burning everything out of it but it doesnt stall or drop below 700 anymore
tjcustomranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2015, 09:30 AM   #7
bahamit_147
1994 ZJ 

I'm guessing techron is just a fuel injector cleaner. I usually use lucas fic and lubricant. But this morning by exhaust broke just after the glasspack I installed to replace the muffler and it's not dropping as hard as much so I think that something may be plugging it slightly. I also think what I thought was a resonator was actually a high flow cat someone welded in May be toast, gonna get down, look through the glasspack and see if I can see if it's toast. May run annother cleaner and seafoam it. How do you seafoam yours, I used to just slow pour through the throttle body on my Yukon but that was a Tbi and had a wet intake, would that work on this motor?
Unread 03-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #8
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I'm guessing techron is just a fuel injector cleaner. I usually use lucas fic and lubricant. But this morning by exhaust broke just after the glasspack I installed to replace the muffler and it's not dropping as hard as much so I think that something may be plugging it slightly. I also think what I thought was a resonator was actually a high flow cat someone welded in May be toast, gonna get down, look through the glasspack and see if I can see if it's toast. May run annother cleaner and seafoam it. How do you seafoam yours, I used to just slow pour through the throttle body on my Yukon but that was a Tbi and had a wet intake, would that work on this motor?
Take the line off the brake booster and use a funnel to slowly pour it in without stalling it.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.