Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Couple of questions..

701 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Gearhead31 
#1 ·
1. Crushed the bolt for the steering stabilizer when replacing drag links and tie rod ends, where to buy a new one? Also stabilizer is disconnected, could this be a cause for the occasional death wobble I get when hitting a lot of bumps?

2. I have old mud basically baked onto the undercarriage, is a pressure washer safe to blast it off? What about getting mud from the engine compartment?

3. Catalytic converter is fried entirely, should I cut it out and just throw in a straight pipe temporarily as a cheap fix for the removal of rattling?

All help appreciated.

#2 ·
1. bolt im not sure about but the steering stabilizer can never cause dw it can cover it up though. dw is most likely trackbar or control arm related.
2.i use a pressure washer to spry the underside of my jeep weekly you should be okay there. as for the engine i useualy use gunk engine cleaner and then rinse everything below the intake with a regular hose
3.just save the money for a replacement cat id message kolak about that removing the cat is very illegal and will throw a code

#3 ·
Well it only started when the stabilizer was disconnected, so that was my best guess. I have new control arms and a track bar with all the bolts tightened so when I reconnect it I guess I'll wait and see the outcome.

Other than that thank you for the responses, much appreciated!

#4 ·
Yeah, they get a bit P*SSY here if you even mention removal of a cat. I hollowed mine out & it runs fine but you can do that in the UK :) I also removed my sensor and dont throw codes, seems some do and some dont.

#6 ·
i wasn't trying to be pissy sorry if i came off that way. removing your cat wont hurt your muffler. the stabilizer will stop minor dw from occurring that's why it showed up when you disconnected it, if you put it back on it will most likely go away but the cause will still be there

#8 ·
Eduquack...it isn't pissy sounding. Federal law and jeep forum regulations.

#10 ·
Lol, i was waiting to see which mod would chime in on it.
Yeah, I can't recommend you run without a cat but if you have zero choice, that will get you to a parts store to pick it up. It shouldn't do anything to your muffler other than raise temps marginally due to less restricted flow, and possibly change the sound some. I ran without everything just before the cat all the way to the tip for a while when it rusted out till payday came around. Didn't do anything in my case, didn't even throw a CEL. BTW, any mention of running without a cat or other emissions related situations, expect to recieve some sort of flack from someone. Just the nature of forums!

The DW is usually caused by something related to track bar and tie rod. The stabilizer really only serves the purpose of preventing a pot hole from ripping the steering wheel out of your grip and helping marginally to re-straighten the tires after a turn, keeping them facing mostly straight ahead(though physics does most of that anyways). Your best bet is leave it disconnected until you find out what is causing the DW, as that will mask the real problem and make it harder to track down. It could be as simple as a bolt loosened up on you, as a few threads here have demonstrated.

You do NOT want to spray pressurized water under the hood. That is just asking for problems. The undercarriage should be fine though, as long as you don't have any rust spots that will let water inside the vehicle. Under the hood, just use some sort of engine degreaser and non-pressurized water(regular garden hose). Be sure to use care around the computer, sensors, battery, etc.(covering them up with a plastic bag usually solves that problem)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.