Couple of Q regarding replacement parts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Couple of Q regarding replacement parts

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 04-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

Couple of Q regarding replacement parts

Q1
I had a "clunk" from front end and saw the swaybar-to-frame bushings were shot, so I had them replaced. But the "clunk" is still there, in some (not all but most) of the turns, when the body leans. It feels like something hits under my feet. So I guess I'd have my front control arms bushings replaced. Can somebody tell me how many bushings are there in the front (both upper and lower control arms), since I really can't figure it out. I looked at rockauto.com and some are sold as one, some as a pair, there's "front" label but also "front lower rear" all together, so I can't decide what to order.

Q2
A/C was recharged, with the color so it would point to a leak, and it discharged pretty fast (month or so - without even using it once). But there are no traces of color anywhere, so the mechanic guy concluded it's a part that is inside, on passenger side, and it requires the dash to come out to be replaced. He gave me the name in my language, but I don't know how to translate it so I could order it. He said it looks like a "radiator" in the front of the Jeep, approx the size of a thick book (encyclopedia or similar). Like a radiator, with all the little "ribs". What's it called in english?

If it's easier, I'm ordering all from rockauto.com so if somebody can point me to the right part number+quantity (for control arms bushings) and maybe partnumber or name for this "radiator" for A/C, I'd be very grateful!

Thanx!!

Unread 04-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

Q1:
there are 2 lower control arms and 2 upper control arms and both have a bushing on each side. so a total of 4 lca bushings and 4 uca bushings.
Unread 04-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

So in all, for the complete front, it's 8 pieces? Thanx!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 04-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
MaintMech
Old, and in the way.

1996 ZJ 

I'm sure someone will correct me if I've got this wrong but:

The condenser coil is in the front of the radiator, the evaporator coil (where the cool air comes from) is under the dash.

I'd also be looking at new hoses if you're going to tear into the A/C that far. You might want to have your mech. just pull the dash and check the connections to the evaporator coil. Doesn't seem too likely that the evap. coil is bad/leaking.

Good Luck!

I fought Oracle and Oracle won!
MaintMech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
leob1

I just had a "clunk" on my 97 zj, it was worse during the turns. I took it to a shop(forgive me), it was the u-joints in(at) the wheel hubs. Makes sense when you think about it, so I'd have them checked before you replace the control arm bushings.(just my $.02) My sway bar bushing are also shot, I'll do those myself.
leob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
Beep000
1993 ZJ 

Yes - first you should check U-joints on wheels. Had same problem with "clunks" about 6 month ago on my 93' ZJ. Just turn the front drive shaft in different directions with hand & see some play in U-joint.
Replacing U-joint can be done at home - not so difficult, except regular tools you need 32mm (if I am not mistaken) deep socket.
Beep000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
no5son1962
1995 ZJ 

The AC recharge with a "color" usually shows up under a black light. You either need a really strong black light or just wait until night and use any black light.
Unread 04-13-2011, 02:32 AM   #8
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beep000 View Post
Replacing U-joint can be done at home - not so difficult, except regular tools you need 32mm (if I am not mistaken) deep socket.
Any thread detailing on this? From what I found via search, it seems like a serious job, requiring pulling of the axle from the shaft and other complicated stuff

As for evaporator core (I belive that's the proper term), I'll be ordering one. It's a big job taking the whole dash apart, discharging the coolant from the engine, removing the PCM, coolant reserve bottle to get the A/C-Heater unit out, then removing the evap. core from it - to be done twice. I'd rather have a spare evap.core standing by (and it comes with tubes attached) in case it needs replacing it can be done right away. PLS correct me if I'm wrong...
Unread 04-13-2011, 03:51 AM   #9
Beep000
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post
Any thread detailing on this? From what I found via search, it seems like a serious job, requiring pulling of the axle from the shaft and other complicated stuff
Not very complicated. I did it on passenger's side & changed driver's hub for about 3 hours.
Pulling out the axle - you should pull it only a little bit for comfortable work. It is rather difficult to turn off the hub nut by your self. If I remember the proper way, in manual it is said that you need to unscrew the hub nut through the wheel hole, but socket doesn't fit this way. So take off wheel, brake caliper (unscrew 2 bolts on the back with 1/2" socket, push brake piston in, don't forget to tie the caliper to spring) & rotor, then unscrew the hub nut - push any metal rod between axle yoke & axle case (don't really know how it is called in English) for stopping the shaft. Then take off wheel hub & pull the shaft a little bit - you are free to go with U-joint. Install in reverse, apply a lot of grease in new joints. When doing this you can also grease suspension & steering components.
Unread 04-13-2011, 04:01 AM   #10
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

Ahem. Seems too much for a parking lot, which is the only place I can work at :/
I guess my mechanic will be seeing me soon...
Unread 04-13-2011, 05:41 AM   #11
Beep000
1993 ZJ 

Of course it is better to perform repair in professional shop. But you can still try DIY.
Unread 04-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #12
MaintMech
Old, and in the way.

1996 ZJ 

I can understand where you're coming from about this. Esp. since the parts are tough for you to get.

Good Luck, Stay Cool!

Unread 04-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #13
MaintMech
Old, and in the way.

1996 ZJ 

While looking for something else I found these. It might help you out.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...vaporator+core

http://www.sgarlic.com/jeepsite/heatercore.html

Good Luck!!

Unread 04-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #14
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

MaintMech, thanx for the links!
But wow, taking the dash apart seems a bit too much for me... Gonna wait till the new core arives (mid/end of may) and then gonna talk sweet to my mechanic...

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.