a couple locker questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > a couple locker questions

Jeep Gear & Install Packages!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 01-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #1
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

a couple locker questions

95ZJ, 4.0, np249, oem D30/35 axles, 3.55 gearing, all OEM for the time being

so doing some research on the lockers, locker types, comparisons, etc.. it looks like a truetrac LSD for my d35 and an e-locker for the front would be the best combination seeing as most of the driving is strictly pavement, and will eventually be medium offroading once every few weekends or so while still being my DD. Will eventually do 3" lift, no bigger than 31-32" tires. Will that same set up treat me right down the road as it would now? I have the 249 tc if that applies. the only zj threads I could find didn't have much 249 info listed. Most of what was, it was all flip flopped.. Locker ONLY in the rear, locker in front is okay, lsd only in the front, etc.

I'm thinking the Truetrac lsd in the rear and eaton e-locker up front. Can it be transfered directly from a LPD30 axle to a HPD30 axle or is it a different part? Is there anything better than the trutrac LSD for our D35C's? I read through dozens of the TJ and TK threads just for the learning bit but some of the technicals, I want to leave to those with experience. I know the axles are pretty much the same between the jeep models but i know there are some key differences

Most of the info on all of this seems to be strictly related to wranglers or non-factory axles(8.8, 9, d44, etc) and I can only find a handful of info on the d30/35 let alone for a zj with a 249tc so anything you give will probably help some.

Thanks!

[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

I'd put a Detroit in the rear and an e-locker in the front. In fact that is what I have done.

The tru-trac is a good high-bias limited slip but its still not a locker. I have only used the tru-trac for front axle applicatons. The tru-trac can swap between low pinion and high pinion but of course the gears cannot.

From 93-95 the 249 did not lock front-to-rear in low range which ranks as one of the most bone-headed decisions in Jeep history. It does not make much sense to lock your axles and keep that 249.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 09:29 PM   #3
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

?? seriously? I could've sworn the 249 locked 50/50 to f/r on all zj's... *facepalm* what idiot planned that bit of engineering out!? Is it just the VC that 'locks' the two together like in 4-hi?

also, I'll never be pushing this specific jeep overly hard but I want the comfort of having something more than two open diffs for when I do end up finding that one bad spot that I can't conquer too well, hence the LSD and not double lockers. Noted though!
Unread 01-23-2014, 09:44 PM   #4
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

I have a like new Detroit locker for a D35 sitting in my garage. I was going to put in my 94 but I totalled her. PM me if interested.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

No money right now, I'm just gathering up a list of parts and prices and getting it all planned out. I'll give you a shout whenever I end up having the money for all this just in case though, thank ya!
Unread 01-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #6
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Here's my suggestion, as both you and I have/had the earlier year 249 that doesn't have lo-lock. Since you live in Fl I imagine you don't need the awd that much right? So in that case swap your 249 out for a good used 231. Then put a lunchbox in the front that way it's there when you need it in 4wd, but won't effect streetablity in 2wd. Then do whatever you wanted to with the rear. You'll save a good $500 and will have almost the same functionality of an electronic locker. Sure it won't be quite as strong, but if your only going to run 32s you should be fine. Anyways that's just my opinion based on the route I've gone.

The benifits of this would be that you'd have lo lock and a front locker for cheaper than just buying an e locker.

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

That's a good thought. It seems I have a lot more planning to do on this to find out what exactly I want before I can go any further. I love the simplicity of the 249 and don't mind the vc but that may be a better option for what I want to do

Sent from mobile, where errors are common and I'm too lazy to correct them.
Gearhead31 Hooah!
Unread 01-24-2014, 02:25 PM   #8
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

ditch teh AWD transfer case then lock withever axle you want.

i'm preferrable to the rear but whatever floats your boat. of if you are made of money and really want to do an elocker in the front then do it. and put an aussie in the rear.

you'll have so much traction you probably won't be able to break the D35 at that point hehe
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.