Could my 5.9 pull a trailer with another Jeep/Camaro on it ? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Could my 5.9 pull a trailer with another Jeep/Camaro on it ?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #16
leadfootny
1996 ZJ 

For that kind of trip, I would certainly get that rear end noise checked. Sounds like you have a bad wheel bearing if the noise changes as the sides are loaded/unloaded. Super easy to change and takes about a hour. I don't know what a camaro weighs, but I have looked into using the niner s a tow vehicle for my lifted zj. General consensus is that the 5.9 can do it assuming you have outfitted the 5.9 properly. This means change the diff fluid to 85-140w synthetic, trans cooler, air bags/helper springs and upgraded brakes. I personally have towed a saturn on a tow dolly with a zj (my 4.0 before it was lifted) about 400 miles where at one point I did need to make an emergency stop from 65 mph and was interesting. I had to really stand on the pedal and hold on the steering wheel to keep it under control. Don't know what the dolly weighs but the car was about 2500...jeep was loaded with tools as well. Your results will vary with uhauls reps on how much trouble they will give you with renting. The individual I was dealing with almost didn't let me take the dolly because she couldn't read the tow hitch rating on the hitch itself (had to get a little upset with her to move things along), but I've rented other trailers from them where they practically just gave me paperwork and pointed one out and said 'there ya go'.

Unread 08-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #17
LouC
2007 WK 

Honestly I woud not. It's going to weigh in at well over 6000 lbs and you have ZJ brakes and the soft rear suspension. You would need to be safe a WD hitch/electric brakes. If its a Uhaul the come with surge brakes and they do not have as good control.
I have towed 4000 with a ZJ (good trailer brakes) well balanced trailer Bilstein shock, air bags and oversize LT rated tires . 2000 over that, I don't know if it's safe, I would do it with my WK because it's rated for 7200 and has much better brakes.
Unread 08-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #18
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Towing a 2200lb trailer with a 4000lb Zeta on top of it? No. You can't do that with a ZJ. Especially since your ZJ doesn't have a brake controller, and it has a noise in the rear end.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #19
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubburnjdh View Post
Why not rent a tow dolly? Much lighter than a trailer.
Camaro is rear wheel drive, he'd have to pull the driveshaft
Unread 08-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #20
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
Towing a 2200lb trailer with a 4000lb Zeta on top of it? No. You can't do that with a ZJ. Especially since your ZJ doesn't have a brake controller, and it has a noise in the rear end.
uhaul trailers dont need a brake controller.
again, i towed a 3800lb car on the car trailer from them (6k total) and it stopped fine with the surge brakes.
you can tow anything with anything (provided the vehicle is properly equipped) you just need to know how to drive with that load back there.
i would however be worried about his rear end noise
Unread 08-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #21
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

I'm under the impression he also plans to load down the ZJ with various things they'll be moving, and even at 6200lbs, he's over his tow capacity by more than 1000lbs, and even that is rated with an empty vehicle.

I would not tow that load with that tow vehicle. Not safe for the driver, the cargo, or the vehicle.

Unread 08-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #22
kachink
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubburnjdh View Post
Why not rent a tow dolly? Much lighter than a trailer.
This. I tried to rent a trailer to move an MGB with my XJ (factory to package) and no one wanted to rent it for anything smaller than a full size pickup. I ended up with a tow dolly and it was a piece of cake. Just make sure you follow the instructions in the owners manual about how to set the transfer case, etc. on the towed vehicle.
kachink is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #23
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Ive done this at least 30 times. Tow dolly, pull the ds from the towed vehicle and you will be just fine. Just drive safely.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #24
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Bad idea all around. Car+trailer+stuff in Jeep will put you way over the tow limit. With that kind of weight you'd want electric brakes, a controller, WD hitch and better brakes on the Jeep. This whole thing also assumes that you have a class IV hitch
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #25
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

ZJ from the factory is rated to tow 5,000lbs (class 3) and with a rig in generally well maintained condition, this tow is easy to do.

Again, with a tow dolly, the Camaro dry weight and 500 lbs of stuff in the Grand, you will be fine.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 03:10 AM   #26
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
Bad idea all around. Car+trailer+stuff in Jeep will put you way over the tow limit. With that kind of weight you'd want electric brakes, a controller, WD hitch and better brakes on the Jeep. This whole thing also assumes that you have a class IV hitch
I have a brake controller in the jeep but its broken, its already wired up via the previous owner I could get a replacement controller.. the wires run through the firewall and to the battery of the Jeep, and spliced into the wiring under the steering wheel..

My 5.9's build sheet states it has a class 4 hitch and going under the Jeep the sticker on it says its a class 4 with a tow rating of 6500lbs.. That and the previous owner bypassed the cooling system and put a aux cooler for the transmission so the Jeep has been used for towing before I just don't know how much he pulled.. and I really dunno if this noise is axle or something else.. All I know its in the rear somewhere... I wish I could get a camera down there driving on the freeway and see if I could hear it lol.. Maybe Ill sit in the cargo and have my mom drive it on the freeway and listen so I can see if its coming from the middle or sides.. All I know is its quiet at 55-60mph and starts at 65 goes away away at 75.... It only happens as the Jeep waves up and down from the road at those speeds.. and it seems to be gone when the Jeep is loaded with 4 people.. me I weigh 250lbs, with the 3 others I had like 650-700 lbs in the Jeep and you can deff tell the Jeep handles diff with that weight in It but its really quiet with a load in it.
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #27
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Like someone said earlier, it doesn't matter about your broken brake controller; Uhaul trailers have surge brakes, not electrics. You'd need your own trailer with electrics to get that kind of work.

Your main problem when towing, especially with a Grand, is not the going, but the stopping.

Unread 08-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #28
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

It would be a good idea to upgrade the transmission cooler to the largest one you can fit in front of the radiator but other then that your Jeep will pull it easily.

I towed my 3k lb boat/trailer with my 4.0l
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #29
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody5788 View Post
I towed my 3k lb boat/trailer with my 4.0l
I can tow my Jeep fully loaded on a flat deck at 70 with my 5.3 Sierra.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #30
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

I have towed a 85 mustang across country with my 5.2. you just need to brake ahead. Do very slow take offs. Don't strain the tranny. Problem with this post is 1 wheel bearing is bad and slowly cutting thru shaft. 2 incorrect fluid in rear diff. The noise at 65-70 is most likely the gap between the bearing and shaft it creates an unbalaneced wheel/shaft. Which will leak from the seal then eventually snap. Leaveing your jeep on the side of the road - a tire. on the axle housing if your lucky. Adding more weight will use that bearing like a saw to the shaft. I would take apart the rear diff. RTV is cheap take a look. Look at the shafts they should be nice and smooth with no gaps. It will almost look like a factory cut lol. I took mine out and thought it was suppose to be like that the first time. Look inside the diff for issues aswell and look at the fluid glitter? metal?. It would be nice to do before you have serious issues. You will want either 75w140 or 85w140 in there anyways for towing. Call junk yards for shafts if you cant afford the new ones. The bearings are cake. maybe you will be lucky and not need a new shaft but I highly doubt it with how long you waited.
Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.