Could my 5.9 pull a trailer with another Jeep/Camaro on it ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Could my 5.9 pull a trailer with another Jeep/Camaro on it ?

Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Could my 5.9 pull a trailer with another Jeep/Camaro on it ?

Just wondering...

My Jeep is in top shape so far as far what I have fixed... doesn't leak anymore. plenum is done, new alt, new power steering ect.. Tranny has been good for the 3 years ive had it... The only problem I noticed is it makes a weird noise in the rear above 65mph but its been doing that since I got it... other then that I have driven 600 mile trips in it no problem..

So basically my mom wants to leave Virginia, we have 3 cars and I think I will go with her back to Arizona. So you see my predicament ? She suggested we drive 2 vehicles down then drive 1 up and drive the other back but that's like crazy amount of miles driving lol... I suggested to get a U-Haul trailer and put either her Camaro or the 4.0.. Most likely the Camaro because the Jeep has cargo.. So yea... if I keep the speeds around 55-60mph think itll be ok ? I've never driven with any kind of trailer however

Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Will it pull it? Sure

Make sure your cooling system is in top shape. That noise in the rear would concern me though, could be bearings going out in the diff.
Unread 08-10-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
Bocajnala
1997 ZJ 

I've done nearly 5,000 miles with this so far this summer. It's the 5.2 and a '97. No issues other than losing the muffler. Keep up on your maintenance and check it over every fuel stop!
-Jake
996856_10152030052772926_2088913591_n.jpg

Bocajnala is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
Just wondering...

My Jeep is in top shape so far as far what I have fixed... doesn't leak anymore. plenum is done, new alt, new power steering ect.. Tranny has been good for the 3 years ive had it... The only problem I noticed is it makes a weird noise in the rear above 65mph but its been doing that since I got it... other then that I have driven 600 mile trips in it no problem..

So basically my mom wants to leave Virginia, we have 3 cars and I think I will go with her back to Arizona. So you see my predicament ? She suggested we drive 2 vehicles down then drive 1 up and drive the other back but that's like crazy amount of miles driving lol... I suggested to get a U-Haul trailer and put either her Camaro or the 4.0.. Most likely the Camaro because the Jeep has cargo.. So yea... if I keep the speeds around 55-60mph think itll be ok ? I've never driven with any kind of trailer however
I dont think U-Haul will let you tow that much with thier trailer. They have a 'towing calculator' on thier website and I entered my 98 towing a 89 Wrangler and it said 'not compatible'.
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Notable fact: the 5.9 has a lower tow rating than the 5.2, because it makes a lot more heat. Keep that in mind, especially in summer. The niner and the 4.0 have the same rating, 5000lbs, according to my research.

Also, Uhaul trailers are galvanized and heavy as hell. Around 1000lbs for the full car trailer as I recall. If you take that 1000lb trailer and put a car as heavy as a Camaro on it, you're not necessarily gonna have a good day. Now, if it's an older Camaro, pre-F-body, it should be fine, but if you're talking about towing a Zeta, put the other ZJ on the trailer, at least that'll look funny.

If you're doing a full move from Virginia to Arizona, you might consider renting a Uhaul truck with a trailer, loading it up, and putting whatever vehicle on the back, then using one of the Jeeps to make up the rest of the transport. This adds another vehicle, but the added vehicle is a safe tow vehicle with enough rated capacity to move most of a house while pulling a trailer. (Uhaul trucks are all equipped with OEM tow gear and Uhaul brake controllers and even the small van is a full ton van) You'll still need to tow one of the vehicles, but this way you're not using a laden Grand Cherokee to tow another car on a galvanized Uhaul trailer, cross-country, in August, without a brake controller.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
Notable fact: the 5.9 has a lower tow rating than the 5.2, because it makes a lot more heat. Keep that in mind, especially in summer. The niner and the 4.0 have the same rating, 5000lbs, according to my research.

Also, Uhaul trailers are galvanized and heavy as hell. Around 1000lbs for the full car trailer as I recall. If you take that 1000lb trailer and put a car as heavy as a Camaro on it, you're not necessarily gonna have a good day. Now, if it's an older Camaro, pre-F-body, it should be fine, but if you're talking about towing a Zeta, put the other ZJ on the trailer, at least that'll look funny.

If you're doing a full move from Virginia to Arizona, you might consider renting a Uhaul truck with a trailer, loading it up, and putting whatever vehicle on the back, then using one of the Jeeps to make up the rest of the transport. This adds another vehicle, but the added vehicle is a safe tow vehicle with enough rated capacity to move most of a house while pulling a trailer. (Uhaul trucks are all equipped with OEM tow gear and Uhaul brake controllers and even the small van is a full ton van) You'll still need to tow one of the vehicles, but this way you're not using a laden Grand Cherokee to tow another car on a galvanized Uhaul trailer, cross-country, in August, without a brake controller.

Thier auto transport trailer is 2200 lbs.. Empty!

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=AT
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #7
dunkeye11
1996 ZJ 

I recommend getting a uhaul truck to.....or at the least trailer brakes.....ZJ brakes suck
dunkeye11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #8
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkeye11 View Post
I recommend getting a uhaul truck to.....or at the least trailer brakes.....ZJ brakes suck
uhaul car trailers have surge brakes, i used one to tow a 69 grand prix home last summer
Unread 08-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #9
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post
I dont think U-Haul will let you tow that much with thier trailer. They have a 'towing calculator' on thier website and I entered my 98 towing a 89 Wrangler and it said 'not compatible'.
you can lie if you really want to. when i had to tow a 69 grand prix on one of their trailers, i knew it would be too heavy, so i told them i was towing a suzuki samurai
Unread 08-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #10
dunkeye11
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio

uhaul car trailers have surge brakes, i used one to tow a 69 grand prix home last summer
My braking distance fully loaded was pitiful
dunkeye11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #11
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

No ill be pulling the 2013 Camaro.. we don't need a uhaul truck because well be renting the house with the furniture and put some things in storage.. Im not sure what she wants to do honestly... shes just going bat **** crazy latetly.. about her job.. her ex is stalking her.. she wants out.. long story..

The thing with the diff is im thinking it is the bearing.. the noise it makes tho is weird.. at 60mph under its very quiet no howling nothing.. at 65-75mph when road makes the vehicle rock up and down it makes a uhhhnn uhhn uhhn noise.. I noticed tho when the vehicle is loaded with 4 passengers or a lot of weight in the back it doesn't make that noise anymore but it does have a slight rumble.. I've changed the gear oil on it twice and I noticed both times compared to the front it gets really dirty.. the front would still be honey colored the back would be dark colord.. The gears look great tho, but obviously I cant see the bearing in the back.

As for my cooling. my cooling system on the Jeep is in top shape, new water pump, thermostat, new coolant from the plenum fix I did recently.. new electric fan, new fan sensors from a jy 5.9, and the tranny is bypassed into a 22,000 gvw hayden looped cooler.
Unread 08-11-2013, 12:42 AM   #12
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

The noise could be a tire out of balance or out of round...or a wheel bearing going bad....

Uhaul is overly cautious with their car trailers....either tell them your hauling something really light, or borrow a big heavy truck to pick it up, then swap it out....
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #13
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Dell isn't the tires it did it with my old set of tires before I replaced them and went bigger.. I don't think its the sway bar back there either. If it were a wheel bearing wouldn't it do it at all speeds ? I just dunno why it only does it at 65mph and goes away above 75.

This issue is literally the last issue on my Jeep I need to fix.. im finally done fixing everything on the Jeep im pretty happy lol only took 3 years of slow maintenance and learning.. (well cept for my sunroof which broke recently but I sealed that thing up lol) Problem is im afraid to bring it to a shop I've fixed everything myself.. I haven't had a shop do anything to my Jeep.. at all cept mount new tires lol.. I doubt ill be able to do this myself tho.. altho I was told I could take the carrier out by simply unbolting those 4 bolts on the carrier bearings and pulling It out and checking out the bearings and pinion.. but I don't see what that would do.. i dunno, i know a shop is gonna charge me an arm and leg just to diagnose it and i don't know of any good shops who do work on axles here.. a lot of these shops i really dislike when i talked to them about my plenum and other problems they were pretty clueless and it really shocked me.. i don't want them touching my car
Unread 08-11-2013, 03:07 AM   #14
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba974 View Post

Uhaul is overly cautious with their car trailers....either tell them your hauling something really light, or borrow a big heavy truck to pick it up, then swap it out....
Exactly. We do it all the time. U-Haul doesn't want you pulling a Radio Flyer with a Peterbuilt, so they leave you little choice but to lie. Truth told, they don't really care-- they just don't want the liability.
ErikTheRad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 05:47 AM   #15
stubburnjdh
1995 ZJ 

Why not rent a tow dolly? Much lighter than a trailer.
stubburnjdh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.