Could I get confirmation on a problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Could I get confirmation on a problem?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Could I get confirmation on a problem?

95 jeep ZJ, used to be a construction worker's vehicle, so it's been used and more abused than the average DD. I'm getting sharp and increasingly fast wear on the outer edges of the tires. I checked the alignment with measuring tape. It's a little over 3/8" inward so a bit out of alignment. I'm thinking more around 1/8" toe in would be good for a vehicle that is probably 95%+ highway/city driving. Also starting to notice a lot more harsh vibration through the entire vehicle(pedals, body, steering wheel) so I'm thinking the ball joints are probably shot as well.. Since I neither have the time to invest, nor the tools to do the work, I would probably just pay a shop to do the repairs. This is my only DD for the household so I need the work done ASAP and don't have the chance to be a DIY guy unfortunately.
Can I get either a confirmation that I'm on the right track to fixing the problems, or put on the right track? Also if there are any suggestions on really cheap, quick and easy fixes I can try to see if it fixes the problem? There is a lot of highway driving in insane traffic quite often so I'm eliminating safety hazards before they become big problems. i've already had other jeeps with crippling "death wobble" and don't wanna be in that situation in a 70+mph area

Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
bigbill888
1996 ZJ 

You lost me at "construction workers are abusive to their vehicles".
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
TJ_guy90
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The wobble is likely due to worn out tie rod and draglink ends, toss a new steering stabalizer, alignment and balance the tires is the cheapest way to fix this. Keep in mind though with worn tie rod ends the stabalizer will wear out before to long. The proper way to fix it is new ends on the steering linkage, but this can start to get expensive, especially if your going to pay a shop.
TJ_guy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
Speedymcracer01

The problem is most likely in the ball joints.They can cause shacking that you fill threw out the vehicle. Along with alignment issues.when was the last time you crawled under it and greased your tie rod ends and ball joints?
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 01:38 AM   #5
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

I'd start with an alignment. 1/8" toe in is about right.
Then lay under the front with a flashlight. Get someone ( that you trust !) to start it and turn the steering wheel from side to side. Look for slop. Stuff that is NOT supposed to move, yet does. Tie rod ends, for sure.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 01:48 AM   #6
Speedymcracer01

I would also check for play in the power steering gear box it can also cause shimming
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

The viscous coupler in the 249 might be wearing out. One of the signs is outside edge tire wear on the front tires. Also a tight lumpy binding feeling in tight turns. It will progressively get worse and put wear on the front suspension and drive line parts.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

I never got notification of replies, sorry for the delay..
By abused from construction workers, I mean taken heavily off pavement, rough, unfinished dirt terrain, through ditches, etc, so more than the avg driver's kind of abuse to the suspension and such. It definitely got it's name put to the line and came out pretty far ahead XD
I'm dead positive the VC is bad and am working to get that replaced but the hefty pricetag on virtually all options is holding me back a bit.
greased up all of the front end just a couple weeks ago. That was beyond overdue, but it didn't help the initial problems. its much more responsive now though!
The alignment is next but with it raining virtually every single day and all day on my days off(why must you hate me, mother nature??), i haven't had the time to get to an alignment. Thanks for the advice, I'll check all of that stuff after I hike it up on some jack stands.
Unread 09-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Just replace all control arms, motor mounts, and any other rubber load bearing part. Like the trans mount, ball joints, tie rod ends, ect. Don't forget about the sway bar end links either. After the control arms and possibly the track bar and new shocks it should feel a whole lot better.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
mig1289
1998 ZJ 

I can attest that doing what polka power recommends will make your Jeep ride 100x better. I did everything except track bars, steering stabilizer, and tie rod ends yet it feels like a brand new zj.
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

anything that requires dropping the motor, trans, axles, etc is going to have to go to a shop due to a depressingly large lack of proper tools and an extra hand to not kill my DD for too long.. I'll do what I can and the rest will have to be as time/money allows. Thanks for the advice! I'll start browsing for parts and cheap(but not rip offs again, long story there) shops to get the more intensive bits done.
Anyone familiar with Jeepetos? I've heard lots about them but nothing I could take to heart.
I already have a TC rebuild, ball joint replacement, stabilizer replacement, all new shock tubes, new tires, new bits under the front end, and some sprucing up on the motor planned so this all helped a lot to guide my priorities out. Thanks again!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.