coralman's front axle rebuild - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > coralman's front axle rebuild

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #46
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Thanks just urd!

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #47
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Why not upgrade to the V8 tie rod at least while you're doing all this. Seems like a small thing for stronger components.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #48
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Mainly because I don't do anything to warrant stronger stuff. I mean the stuff there was all original I believe cept the brakes. I'm 55. If it last as long I probaly wont care much past that point.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
Unread 05-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #49
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
I'm just not committed to the wj manifold, apn header, 703's, and magnaflow exhaust just yet.
Well if you decide you not gonna do it, that should clear up some space in your living room.

If my plans work out, I should be rid of the ZJ before the end of the summer. It's getting in pretty sad shape... by my standards at least...
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #50
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

What do you want in its place?

Unread 05-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #51
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
What do you want in its place?
Something that pulls well behind a motor home. Planning to make move to the four corners area and live a nomadic lifestyle as a precursor to retirement. Trying to transfer.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #52
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Just got around to reading your finish coralman. Great job and looks really nice! Definitely worth referring other members to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Something that pulls well behind a motor home. Planning to make move to the four corners area and live a nomadic lifestyle as a precursor to retirement. Trying to transfer.
Best of luck to you Zee and I was going to move out west when younger. Could kick myself for not doing it sooner but it's never too late! Believe I could get off in doing a little gold mining and searching for precious stones.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 05:05 AM   #53
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Well,I learned something about tires in doing this. The new tires were all nice and clean ,but within a few days they developed this brown residue on them. So I scrubbed the stuff off and it came back. It was nasty looking. Come to find out it is a compound they are adding to new tires called an "antizonant". Its seeps out of the rubber as you drive it to prevent oxidation of the rubber. Info said you can't stop it but can minimze by using tire dressing. Went to wally word got some brand called "california pro tire dressing" and it looks good. Not tooo shiny. Another fact I forgot to mention was the niner wheel/tire combo is 8lbs heavier than the original rims and tires. so thats 40 more pounds counting the spare.

Unread 08-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #54
NJ2MDJim
1993 ZJ 

Awesome write-up! Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this. I'm sure it will help a lot of people.
NJ2MDJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 02:58 AM   #55
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Yw!

Unread 12-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #56
9496ZJs
1996 ZJ 

Coralman:
Wow! What a project. Nice work. But you were seriously deprived of the experience of chasing rust around every corner and asking yourself, "hmm. Should I wire wheel that bracket before I reinstall that control arm? Or is the steel too thin to survive?"

Must be nice to work on bare steel.
9496ZJs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 04:58 AM   #57
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Thanks! Yeah I have always felt bad for the guys who have to deal with the salt. Jeep could've done more to protest the underside. I think it was RAT who said something about if the salt didn't get you the A/C draining into the frame would. Currently working on solving that among other piles. This weekend is leaking tstat gasket, coolant temp sensor, on the WJ, it never ends.

Unread 12-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #58
shaban
1996 ZJ 

In here, ZJ bodies last pretty much forever, they're going to junkyards after either hitting a kangaroo/other car, or after 42RE tranny crapping out.
However, I've seen a few XJ's with rust around the windshield frame.

Plus sometimes rust gets'em it the owner lives on a coast too.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #59
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Back in the day,lol, when vehicles were allowed to run the coast in northern fla the rust got stuff too. Used to be a guy with a halftrack that practically lived on the beach. That was along time ago.

Unread 06-27-2014, 05:49 AM   #60
jeepjeepster

Sorry to bring this post back from the semi dead but I must comment on a wonderful job. Thoroughly enjoyed reading through it and seeing a job well done. Hate that you had to have it towed after doing so much work.
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.