coralmans a/c housing rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > coralmans a/c housing rebuild

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 11-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

coralmans a/c housing rebuild

After seeing the steam mist and an upsurge in freon use I figured it was time to do this. I followed Ifly's thread to get it out and other than the spring locks on the refrigeration lines it went smoothly. My plan was and is to get the heat back functional and hook up the new evaporator after I rework the a/c system under the hood. I took plenty of pics and attacked it as far as content of this like I was a newb, since I was.

I had about 25 minutes of posting done last night when JF timed me out and I lost all the post,lol. So This will a follow along kind of thing cause I don't want to do that again. Here's the link to Ifly's post, he did a good job of it.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/3...-98-a-1398459/

Mine is for a manual control version. I did not want to dead end during the course of this repair so as usuall I ordered a bunch of parts, but wound up using some of the original as well. Posted parts breakdown so you can familiarize your self with the parts. As you can see, it needed to be donejeepbox98.jpg jeepbox99.jpg

jeepbox1.jpg jeepbox2.jpg

jeepbox3.jpg jeepbox4.jpg

jeepbox5.jpg

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Pulled the fan motor by removing 3 screws and wiggled the cooling hose out of the motor. disconnected the white connector in the pic.

jeepbox6.jpg jeepbox7.jpg

Remove the recirculating air housing from the assy.Four screws attach the housing. Disconnect the red vac line fom the actuator with a twisting motion. I put the screws I took out in the whole project back in the holes so I wouldn't them.

jeepbox8.jpg jeepbox9.jpg

Go ahead and pull the heater core after removing the two clamps. A slight rocking motion while pulling seemed to get it out easier.

jeepbox10.jpg jeepbox11.jpg

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
Unread 11-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Vacumn harness removal. These pics will be used as a reference to reinstall them. Eyeball the routing, there are little body clamps that hold the harness in place. Be gentle removing the lines, you don't want to break one. I had a new one ordered but it got sent back from the dealer by mistake so I was stuck with the old one. We took it loose from the actuator in the previous step. remove it from the "S" tracks that hold it in place on the box. It then dives down the box of the box into a little clamp by the heater core lines.

jeepbox12.jpg jeepbox13.jpg

Be sure to give that black vac supply line a close inspection,it's the one that always breaks. The brown, green and yellow lines are the next ones.Disconnect them from the actuators with a twisting motion. Note which line goes where.

jeepbox15.jpg jeepbox16.jpg

jeepbox17.jpg

They go over the housing by the suction line exit through one of the little clamps and then run down the front through another clamp. Remove them gently.

jeepbox19.jpg jeepbox18.jpg

Unread 11-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Electrical harness removal.Disconnect the resistor plug and remove the resistor. The harness takes off up the back of the box where it would virtually impossible to replace if you ever had to,lol. It will travel over the top in a valley next to where the recirculating box wasand back down to the front. Take the black plug off the housing where it slides onto a tang.Same with the white plug. Take the wire run loose from the housing that goes to the actuator motor,the one with the foam, and unplug it from the motor. Leave the motor in place for now.

jeepbox22.jpg jeepbox21.jpg

jeepbox23.jpg jeepbox25.jpg

jeepbox26.jpg

Unread 11-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Vent doors,levers and actuators. Note all posistions of the doors, levers and actuators where you can. The pics are pretty complete so if you forget you can refer back. Take the actuators loose one at a time and rotate them where they slide off the small tits on the end of the levers. The tits have a flat spot on them that will allow actuator to slide off when they are aligned.The vent door will be the first one we deal with.

The vent door actuator is the one on the lower left in the first pic.With the door in this posistion the lever will look like this in the third pic.

jeepbox27.jpg jeepbox29.jpg

jeepbox30.jpg

With the door in this posistion the lever will look like this.

jeepbox31.jpg jeepbox32.jpg

Take a flat prying object and pry the door clip/lever out from the door. This is what it looks like once out.

jeepbox33.jpg jeepbox34.jpg

Push the door to the right and lift it out of the hole in the housing. The foam looked pretty bad on both sides.

jeepbox35.jpg jeepbox36.jpg

jeepbox37.jpg

Unread 11-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

I totally to forgot to tell you after removing the actuator you can split the case. 14 easily visable screws around the perimeter and this hidden one make 15.

jeepbox28.jpg

Unread 11-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

With the housing split, you can see the temp/mode door and the floor defrost door, which is actually two pieces. The smaller door attaches to the larger one but you'll see that later on. The posistions you see are the actuator off posistions if that makes any difference. Take the two large mounting screws on the actuator motor and remove it and the door.

jeepbox38.jpg jeepbox39.jpg

The floor/defroster door actuator is shown in the pic. Two screws and rotate if you haven't already removed it. You can see the "flats" on the tit in the pic. You can also see the tiny locater tang that snaps into the end of the door shaft. You will have to pry this tang out to remove the door. Most likely it will break off as mine did. So if you order no other lever, order this one.

jeepbox40.jpg jeepbox41.jpg

Unread 11-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

I don't see anything wrong with your original heater core.

Seriously though, awesome write-up. I'll know exactly where to come when I have any issues with the HVAC or A/C system.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #9
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

The fresh air/recycle housing is next. Rotate the white clip away from the actuator rod to unlock it. Remove the two mounting screws. The white round clip to the right at the bottom holds the door in the housing. It will have to be pried out, but mine gave me a fit and would not release so I had to break chunks of it off until I could get it out of the housing enough to free the door up enough to remove it. The door will slide to the left,up, and out once this is done. The evap core should be able to be removed at this point by pulling it out of the housing. If there is any of the styrofoam insulator left at the bottom underneath it gently remove it. Clean the housing up. I left the remnants of foam adhesive in place while cleaning to give indication of where to put the new foam on the openings. It will be easy to remove later on. Tommorrow night I will post the reassembly.

jeepbox42.jpg jeepbox43.jpg

Unread 11-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Thanks Jason, it was a blast......NOT

Unread 11-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
Thanks Jason, it was a blast......NOT
I noticed I ruined your write-up with my post. Sorry about that.

Very detailed and extremely helpful. I'm glad I didn't have to remove the entire HVAC system when I did my heater core last month. Looks like quite a project.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #12
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Dont worry about it,,as long as the idea gets across is all that matters to me.

Unread 11-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #13
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins View Post
I don't see anything wrong with your original heater core.

nice work coralman. did you make up any new cuss words?
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #14
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

LOl, nope the tried and true originals worked quite well.

Unread 11-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #15
jorhay
1997 ZJ 

Great write up again!
jorhay is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.