cooling system problems , water pump and thermostat replaced . no heat. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > cooling system problems , water pump and thermostat replaced . no heat.

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-25-2009, 07:24 AM   #1
natesxj

cooling system problems , water pump and thermostat replaced . no heat.

i parked it way up on a hill , to blee any air out after replacing my thermostat and water pump. ran it for like 45 minutes of different tricks to remove air lock.

it seemed like the water was only trickling through the heater hose. no heat.

engine only warms up to 1 notch above the coldest mark on the factory guage. when the pump was bad it was running 75% of the guage lol making heat before.

i thought there was an air lock preventing heat but then why would the ENGINE temperature stay so darn low? not harmfull but i cant defrost my windows very well.

so we hooked a garden hose into the heater hoses feeding water through the core and now i have SOME heat , takes a while to warm up.

thermostat and water pump are brand new. any sujjestions would be great.

------
- my last post about the leak i couldnt find was out of the weep hole on the bottom like everyone was telling me , it leaks down and sneaks behind the timing mark thing above the crank pulley apearing to "not come from the pump" when it actually does. and can poor very quickly .

natesxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
McGR
2007 XK Commander 

Because you say that the engine isnt getting up to normal operating temp, it would seem that somethings amiss with your new thermostat. You may want to pull it and test it in some water heated over a stove.
McGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
Zembonez
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Make sure you have the right thermostat and it is functioning properly (yeah obvious I know). I always fill the system through the heater hose when I refill it. It verifies that the heater core is full and removes air from the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Cadillac
Canada has 4 seasons...Almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction
Zembonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2009, 08:55 AM   #4
natesxj

thanks for the help guys im going to go put the old thermostat back in and see if theres a dfiference its a $1.50 for the gasket so no big deal right lol.

ive got some RTV here just incase i tear the gasket removing it.

ill let u know what happens , thsi would be my third bad part ive bought and had to exchange lol... lots of DOA stuff
natesxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #5
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would just buy another thermostat and install it... its a ~$4 part anyway

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.