cooling system issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > cooling system issues

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Wulfrich34
1996 ZJ 

cooling system issues

Alright so here it goes, i have a stock 96 zj laredo 4x4, about a month ago she randomly over heated while ideling and sprayed coolant out the water pumps seep hole, essentually a water pump and thermostat replacement an easy fix right?, well i dident have time to fix the issue myself so i took her to a "reputable" mechanic by my work so i could jump in drive the hour to my house grab some stuff then make a 4 hour trip to see my sister graduate, they diagnose it say the same thing and do the job, on the way home two of the bolts on the pump came loose and went up into the fan clutch, i was 5 min from the house and had to be towed back to the shop they ordered new bolts and did a radiator flush free as a way of saying sorry, got her back 6 days later (had to order new ones from jeep direct and they sent the wrong ones first) and she over heats on my drive home, they tow me again and replace the pump and thermostat again free of charge i get her back and she runs hot nonstop i call them they tow it back do it over again and again same issue finally they replace the fan cluch (same one the bolts went up into, and charged me for it) and say theres nothing else that can be done, i had the heads checked its good, what could the issue be?

again new pump, new thermostat and new fan clutch,and the heads good, hoses are good as well. I do hear a sound every once in awhile that sounds like the fan blades are rubbing against something metal but i cant find the source. I know my way around a wrench but iv never delt with this kinda thing before and am stumped plus having to stop 30 min into my commute during rush hour every day to keep her from over heating is really getting on my nerves (which is what im doing right now).
I also want to apologize for the poor grammer im on a crappy phone that has fought me thos entire post

Wulfrich34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Could still be a bad/clogged radiator, bad radiator cap, or even just a dirty condensor/radiator not letting enough air through.
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

You never said what size engine's in your 96? If it's a 4.0 it takes a reverse rotation water pump and a reverse rotation fan clutch. With the quality of work that shop does maybe they installed clockwise rotation ones which would be wrong or even put the thermostat in backwards? Any of which would cause some severe overheating.

Also check to make sure your fan shroud isn't hitting the fan since they probably removed it to replace the clutch. Try moving it towards the engine at the bottom and if not in tight they missed putting the bottom tabs in the slots. Also look at the bolts they used to make sure they aren't too long and hitting something as the fan/clutch rotates. Good luck!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.