Cooling Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Cooling Questions

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
adouglass

Cooling Questions

I went for a drive today up some mountains, nothing real serious though. Just took my laredo up the main highway and noticed my water temp was getting questionably high. It would fluctuate with speed and the steepness of the incline and what not. I understand the concept of getting hotter when working harder, but it was above the 210-220 range and it continue to climb a little higher at times. Is this normal for a jeep or is there something I can do to help cooling. I've just recently gotten the Jeep from a friend, it's got over 203k miles on it.

adouglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
Afdude88
1993 ZJ 

Do you ever hear your fan? if not your fan clutch is probably shot.

Cheap and easy to go ahead and change your thermostat.

Make sure your cooking system has no air in the system (do you hear a bubbling noise after shutdown?) and that the coolant level is full. At both the reservoir and inside the rad.

Water pump good? No leaking from weep hole.

Rad cap good? Cheap and easy to replace this as well.

your radiator could be partially clogged. Internally or externally. Hose it off real good and see if any mud comes out. You can check internally by using an ir thermometer and check every 2-4 inches in a grid pattern. Any readings way lower than the other ones indicate a partially clogged.

Make sure that the a/c condenser is dirt/mud free. Also the trans cooler if equipped.

In the subject of the trans make sure that none of the trans cooling have no kinks or are collapsed. Even with a separate cooler the trans lines go through the rad. I have personally dealt with a partially collapsed trans line that caused a slight engine overheating issue. Not full red line but enough to know something was wrong.

Dana 35c behind a 242, behind an AW-4, behind a 4.0L Inline Six sitting over a Dana 30, all turning stock 215/75/15 tires and moving a 93 Grand Cherokee to places your truck only dreams of.
Afdude88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
jt_armstrong
1994 ZJ 

Check that there is enough coolant in it. Don't just look at the overflow reservoir as that can be deceiving if there is a leak. This happened to me when I first picked up my ZJ and she overheated on the way home. I pulled over and checked the overflow reservoir which appeared OK. Thought I had bought a pup but noticed later that I had a leak at the thermostat housing. If air can get into the system the vacuum effect is lost and the reservoir will show full even though there is low coolant in the engine.
jt_armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
Afdude88
1993 ZJ 

Deleted
Afdude88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt_armstrong View Post
Check that there is enough coolant in it. Don't just look at the overflow reservoir as that can be deceiving if there is a leak. This happened to me when I first picked up my ZJ and she overheated on the way home. I pulled over and checked the overflow reservoir which appeared OK. Thought I had bought a pup but noticed later that I had a leak at the thermostat housing. If air can get into the system the vacuum effect is lost and the reservoir will show full even though there is low coolant in the engine.
Sounds like you may also have a bad radiator cap. I had the same issue when I bought mine. My cap nearly fell off as soon as I touched it. Overflow was at the low mark and no fluid was visible at the top of the radiator.
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
jt_armstrong
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post

Sounds like a bad radiator cap.
Eh..no. Like I said it was a leak at the thermostat housing. New gasket fixed it. Recently just replace the housing along with all the pipes. Better safe than sorry..
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt_armstrong View Post
Eh..no. Like I said it was a leak at the thermostat housing. New gasket fixed it. Recently just replace the housing along with all the pipes. Better safe than sorry..
Mine was leaking everywhere.

I would fix one leak and another would pop up and another and another. The radiator was the last thing to go
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
jt_armstrong
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post

Mine was leaking everywhere.

I would fix one leak and another would pop up and another and another. The radiator was the last thing to go
I had that on an old range rover I had a few years back. Every time I fixed something the next weakest thing would spring a leak. I ended up changing hoses, radiators and the heater matrix on that bad boy...:-)
Unread 06-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #9
Speedymcracer01

Check your passenger floor pan for moister mine will start to over heat on trails because my coolant is low from leaking out of the heater core which is why the floor pan would be wet.i just keep a check on my coolant until i can afford to buy a new one then find the time to replace it.plenty of other explanations this is just another suggestion
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #10
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

If its the original radiator then its almost certainly shot. Look closely in front of the fan and you will probably notice many of the cooling fins are missing.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.