cooling question.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > cooling question....

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-04-2003, 03:43 PM   #1
tetatdo
1994 ZJ 

cooling question....

Hi. I have a 94 ZJ 4.0 and I recently went through and changed all the hoses. I drained the radiator, replaced all four houses and the thermostat and put it all back together. I even put in a 180 Deg thermostat.... the car seems to run cooler according to the guages but Im a little bit skeptical.... Every time I feel the upper radiator hose, it is not under pressure.. i can squeeze it all the way till my fingers touch. I can even do this when its hot and its still not under pressure. The lower radiator hose seems to only be under a slight more amount of pressure, but even that isn't much... Did i do something wrong? I seem to remember with the old hoses and thermostat that there was more pressure in the system... Should I not drive around the car? Is the guage lying to me? is there a coolant blockage somewhere? or air in the system? I think i burped the radiator right, I just kept filling and squeezing the upper hose and letting air out.. I don't want to ruin the car.. I hope its running okay.

tetatdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2003, 04:07 PM   #2
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Is the resevoir for the fluid full? Add more fluid and see what happens.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2003, 04:17 PM   #3
tetatdo
1994 ZJ 

yeah, the reservoir is full

mind you, the car doesn't run hot.. Which is why its baffling me.. I mean the temp guage says its running kinda cool. but the hoses aren't under pressure. I get the feeling something's wrong
Unread 08-04-2003, 04:37 PM   #4
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

That's weird. When I replaced all the rad fluid, I just kept adding until the rad was full. Then, I squeezed the top hose and it filled allowing me to pour more into the rad.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2003, 05:00 PM   #5
tetatdo
1994 ZJ 

yeah I was doing the exact same thing. When i squeezed the top hose, air would bubble out... I did it till i got no more air out of the rad and i capped it..

The upper hose gets a little bit of pressure, and it certainly gets hot when the car is running, but its just not under pressure

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.