Coolant Temp Sending Unit - to dash/gauge (not computer) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Coolant Temp Sending Unit - to dash/gauge (not computer)

JKS Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 07-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
Oxenhandler
1995 ZJ 

Replacing Coolant Temp Sending Unit - to dash/gauge (not computer)

The change out described in this thread was on a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6 cylinder, 4 liter engine, here known as a ZJ.

The 95 has two temp sensors, one in the front of the engine compartment, on the t stat for the computer and one on the back of the head for the dash. The one on the back of the head is the one to the gauge.

The 96-98 have the gauge run by the pcm (powertrain control module, aka, computer) with no need for a second sender.

Yesterday, TheHalfWit on this forum wrote and I paraphrase, "But the 93-95 4.0's have a second sender on the very back of the block, under the wiring for the injectors, 3" from the firewall and it is a ***** to change."

Here's where you'll find the temp sensor/sending unit/switch for the gauge, follow the orange arrow (a).

jeep-broken-back-door-002.jpg  
Oxenhandler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
Oxenhandler
1995 ZJ 

It is hard to see and harder still to change out because there is so little clearance above and beside it, add to that, that the sensor itself is extremely fragile and easy to break.

Here’s another view of the temp sending unit in place. It is white. (b)
jeep-broken-back-door-003.jpg  
Unread 07-10-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
Oxenhandler
1995 ZJ 

The factory original stopped working. It was broken, probably snapped by a mechanic's tool during a tune-up. Removing it, I broke the white ceramic top completely off because I didn't have the deep socket tight against the nut when I cranked it. Here’s what I was left with, the shaft, the threads and the nut (c)
temp-sender-2-.jpg  
Unread 07-10-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
Oxenhandler
1995 ZJ 

To replace it I bought a Duralast brand temp sending unit from Autozone, part number TU236 Temp Switch. But I over tightened it, installing it, and snapped off the white ceramic top AND the brass nut, leaving the brass shaft and threads imbedded in the engine.

Here you see the factory original with the white top snapped off, the Duralast brand with the brass shaft/tube broken off and the Duralast part box. (d)
duralast-part-no.-tu236-temp-switch.jpg  
Unread 07-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
Oxenhandler
1995 ZJ 

Here's what the sending unit port looks like with the brass shaft/tube and brass threads of the sensor imbedded in it. (e)
temp-sender.jpg  
Unread 07-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
Oxenhandler
1995 ZJ 

To extract it I used a 7/16" screw extractor (f)
temp-sender-8-.jpg  
Unread 07-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
Oxenhandler
1995 ZJ 

I tapped the tip of the extractor into the hollow tube of the sending unit and turned it with a wrench. It was difficult as the swing room for the wrench was only an inch or two. (g)
temp-sender-13-.jpg  
Unread 07-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
Oxenhandler
1995 ZJ 

But I did get it out. (h)
temp-sender-15-.jpg  
Unread 07-10-2011, 09:39 AM   #9
Oxenhandler
1995 ZJ 

I bought another sender, NAPA part No. TS6685 and installed it gently. Even so, I broke it. But not so much that it doesn't work. It works great!

The trick is not to over tighten as the nut and tube are thin, hollow, brass and not to crank on the ratchet unless you are certain the deep socket is all the way over the nut. The socket will twist the white part independent of the nut and break it if you do not have the socket all the way over the nut and the hollow, brass nut will twist off the hollow, brass threads if you over tighten.

Note: each of these senders required a different size deep socket, 11, 12 and 14mm.

Here you see the NAPA box, two broken senders, one intact sender (the one that's in my Jeep now!), and the screw extractor (i)
temp-sender-10-.jpg  
Unread 07-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #10
Oxenhandler
1995 ZJ 

Here's the sending unit and the brass shaft that was once part of it (with the screw extractor still inside it). Ever wonder what's inside the temp sender? A steel spring inside a paper tube. (j)
temp-sender-16-.jpg  
Unread 07-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #11
Oxenhandler
1995 ZJ 

The End
Unread 07-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #12
TheHalfWit
1995 ZJ 

I know this isn't strictly related to the thread, but its a mistake I managed to do while I was changing the sensor.

That crooked hose is the PCV hose, and it looks like you knocked it loose like I did. The easiest way to check for that is just to listen for a hissing. In all likelihood you'll need a new grommet for it, so that it will seal up tight.

If a week goes by without needing to replace something, pinch me because I must be dreaming.
TheHalfWit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2011, 05:26 PM   #13
JeeperV8
1996 ZJ 

If this sensor is bad what will happen?
JeeperV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 06:44 AM   #14
Oxenhandler
1995 ZJ 

You won't be able to monitor your coolant temperature. So you won't know you're overheating until you see steam escaping from under your hood by which time it may be too late to prevent costly, repairable harm to your radiator and engine. For starters, your radiator may crack.
Unread 07-31-2011, 08:49 AM   #15
JeeperV8
1996 ZJ 

Got ya, how do you know when the sensor hours bad on you
JeeperV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.