Coolant Sensor Bad/VIC removal - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Coolant Sensor Bad/VIC removal

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #46
Spinnaker71
1996 ZJ 

Many thanks to all those who contributed to this thread, 1 succesful repair done and no more beeping!
This forum is a life saver for a newbie!
Just to say I am enjoying my ZJ, and we are going on its first long trip 900KM this weekend!

Spinnaker71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #47
Mazzacr
1997 ZJ 

Another thanks from a beepless GC !
Mazzacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #48
yamifj1200
1997 ZJ 

+1 thanks so much for you finding the problem and letting us all know how to fix it. I drove 200,000 miles with that annoying beep going on and off. Thanks to your info its fixed. I cant tell you how much I appreciate this group..

Eric M
yamifj1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #49
Mad-Duke
1997 ZJ 

I found this from another thread but I think it would be more helpful if someone explained how to solder for noobs like me. I youtubed it.

Tin the Solder Iron = Melt a small bit on the solder iron gun.
Use the melted solder on the gun to touch the piece of metal/wire/whatever your trying to add solder to.
Don't use the solder on the gun but instead on the metal/wire/whatever and let THAT melt the solder.

Hope this helps someone looking for this in the future.
Mad-Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 01:08 AM   #50
matt5tt
1998 ZJ 

Many thanks to everyone, especially phild328 and Glued2aPost for the detailed write up on how fix this. I have successfully done it and would recommend anyone give it a go, following this write up.
matt5tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #51
Gibby913
1997 ZJ 

Great write-up......today I performed the solder fix on the schitzo dimmer switch......I let it go long enough I decided when it did it while I was driving by a parked cop.....Surprised he didn't pull me over with all my lights including the headlights flashing on and off...lol.....we'll see soon if that did the trick or not.....If it did this is next on the list to get fixed.....Damn things drives me nuts
Unread 09-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #52
mozman68

Wow...was a little tougher for me. My 96 has screws all over the place...clip wasn't that bad. Couldn't see a crack in my solder, but hit it anyway and cleaned it up. I can't even tell if I changed anything on the circuit board since it is so small. Threw it back in anyway and no beeping...for now...hopefully forever. Thanks for the pics!
mozman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #53
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Looks like I'll need to add this to the 'to-do' list. My VIC started randomly beeping 'Bad Coolant Sensor' a couple weeks ago.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #54
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

Hey those points right under the "223" that I have circled in red in this picture.. are those supposed to be connected? the one on the right is connected the one on the left that is circled next to it IS NOT ... but in this picture (from original post) it looks like it is??

Anybody have any idea?? Let me know bc I'm about to solder those two small circles...
one is connected.. other IDK if it broke or is supposed to be together... lol
untitled.jpg

www.youtube.com/pharis88

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1...hread-1507279/
PHARIS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #55
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

So I resoldered the points that were supposed to be fixed.. EXCEPT for that one spot on I circled in red.. I plugged it in and it still IS NOT turning on.. going to check fuse and see it's the fuse... the harness looks fine... I will solder those points if nothing else works... I DO NOT have a VOLT meter...

www.youtube.com/pharis88

Unread 09-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #56
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

When mine went bad (dead) the problem was a bad capacitor. It was near the corner of the board and when I looked closely it had burst and spilled corrosive goo all over that corner. The goo dissolved one of the circuit traces leading to the cap. I bought a new cap at Frys for a dollar and soldered it in using solder to bridge the 1/16" of broken trace. Works fine now. Sorry I don't have pics.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #57
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
When mine went bad (dead) the problem was a bad capacitor. It was near the corner of the board and when I looked closely it had burst and spilled corrosive goo all over that corner. The goo dissolved one of the circuit traces leading to the cap. I bought a new cap at Frys for a dollar and soldered it in using solder to bridge the 1/16" of broken trace. Works fine now. Sorry I don't have pics.
Ok so, I've carefully looked at all the connections, capacitors, relays, etc.. everything looks good like it should... Which/WHERE is the fuse for the VIC?? Tried searching for it on here and can't find it and don't have the manual with me. Maybe I have a bad fuse?

www.youtube.com/pharis88

Unread 09-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #58
Mr_Mom
1998 ZJ 

Thank you so much! Was about to go to a dealership to have them look, but I don't want to pay out the nose. This is going to help me tremendously
Mr_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #59
craftworks125
1996 ZJ 

Very helpful thanks!
craftworks125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #60
CoachDad
1998 ZJ 

Great write up! I'd been plagued by the insidious "Coolant Sensor Bad" beeping for a couple of years now. I finally had enough, went to Harbor Freight for a $3 solder iron, and yanked my VIC tonight. I wasn't able to identify the bad solder joints by myself, but I merely soldered the points indicated in the photos on this thread. My first solder job was rank amateur at best, but... Now I'm driving beep free, and think I may actually grow fond of the little bugger under the climate controls. Hey, it's an easy way to be sure the oil changes are done promptly.

Thanks a ton, guys.
CoachDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.