Coolant Sensor Bad/VIC removal - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Coolant Sensor Bad/VIC removal

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 03-18-2012, 12:43 AM   #31
j.love
1994 ZJ 

wiring harnesses are different for non VIC vehicles.

Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I wouldn't drive down a driveway on that.
''If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong.''
Joe Biden
j.love is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #32
cnaples

Worked!

I just swapped out my TC for the 249 and had to take out my VIC to swap the red and black wires. I figured while the VIC was out I would pop it open and try to get rid of the annoying beeps. The solder joint didn't even look bad but I re flowed them and sure enough it worked! Thank you for the awesome write up!!!
cnaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #33
johng1

THANK YOU for posting the details for this fix. After resoldering the target point on the circuit board on my 97 GC the problem is history. What a relief !!! Many thanks ! ! ! ! !
johng1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #34
dalemetal
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Worked great for me too, thank you so much. Yes, that clip did near ruin me, and fight to get it back together.
Thanks again!
dalemetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #35
SkipJunkman
1996 ZJ 

My first soldering and my first post on Jeep forum!
I'm afraid to speak too soon, but I did this and it seemed to work. Normally the code pops up as soon as I turn on the jeep, and if not soon after. I did a test cruise and so far so good.
Too bad I followed logic at first and replace both coolant sensors.
All together I got it done in about an hour, including a break to scratch my head over the circuits parts. I don't know what to look for as far as faulty soldering jobs, but everything looked pretty uniform. I went over it anyway and here we are. And as far as the clip, push the passenger side toward where it normally sits, and pull near the VIC. It was pie on mine.
If the message pops back up tomorrow on my way to deliver sandwiches freaky fast, I'm going to jump through my windshield.
Thanks x1000.
SkipJunkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:41 PM   #36
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Good job SkipJunkman... and welcome to JF!

Can't always see a fractured solder joint, even with a magnifier.
Dull or corroded connections are suspect.
Don't use too much heat or hold it longer than necessary to reflow the solder.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 10:18 PM   #37
Canyon411
1995 ZJ 

Since this thread is back up, check out the white zj toward the top with the polished ravine wheels!!
Canyon411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 07:03 PM   #38
gothchick
1998 ZJ 

Thanks again to the OP and all the great info in this thread. Reflowed the solder joints on the VIC, problem fixed. Damn, that thing was driving me nutz. Still need to swap the plugs for the TC swap we just finished. Props. Thanks again!

Finished 4x2 --> 4x4 conversion.
gothchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #39
rallycom
2006 KJ Liberty 

Changed VIC different light?

Great write up Thanks!
Since I usually solder with a bernzomatic tourch (or at least it looks like I do) I opted to pick up a used VIC before trying the fix. Pluged the used unit in & like magic the 'coolant sensor bad' & 'service 4wd switch' warning messages went away........for a week! Now the 'coolant sensor bad' message is back but instead of the display showing the lighted line by the radiator, it now displays a retangular light in the engine compartment. I was told the replacement unit came from the same year & trim level as my 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo. Anyone run into anything similar?
I just finished soldering the original one but haven't tried it yet.

Thanks
Rich, N2ZKX
Black 1996 ZJ 260,000 mi & running strong
Black 2006 KJ 121,000 mi just getting broken in
rallycom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #40
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

My '94 VIC rectangular box in the engine bay means the engine oil level is low. Part of the optional oil level sensor feature mounted in the side of the oil pan.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #41
dpjag

Great fix... did mine on the 98GC over the weekend
dpjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #42
rallycom
2006 KJ Liberty 

Oils good

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreaZJ View Post
My '94 VIC rectangular box in the engine bay means the engine oil level is low. Part of the optional oil level sensor feature mounted in the side of the oil pan.
Thanks for the response, I checked the oil right away & it's fine. I'm going to put the unit I soldered in tomorrow & see what strange things happen then.

Thanks
Rich, N2ZKX
Black 1996 ZJ 260,000 mi & running strong
Black 2006 KJ 121,000 mi just getting broken in
rallycom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #43
MYNUTOY
1998 ZJ 

UNBLIEVABLE!! Great write up Great pics.problems gone!! Can anyone help with the heater control head unit I pulled it out and when I put it back in the leds that indicate where the air is directed arn't lighting up all I did was unplug it and plug it back in and they wont light everything else in the head unit works fine anyone???worked before I removed it!!Thanks
MYNUTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 04:15 AM   #44
jeffcox
1996 FSJ Cherokee 

Collant Sensor

I'm really new to this site. Thank you guys for the outstanding support on just about every issue a person could encounter. I'm going to attempt this soldering fix. It appearing more time consuming than anything. Working and the single digit temps are slowing me down a little. Eventually I'll get to my sensor problem. I also have what I feel is my wheel bearings going bad. I assume these are just like any other bearings r and r. If there is any other special things I should know, please hollar at me. Thanks for everything.
jeffcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 11:13 PM   #45
smcalpac

1998 ZJ 

Just bought a 98 ZJ Limited with this problem. Previous owner said they had the sensor replaced and checked out. Mechanic couldn't figure it out....guess he didn't GOOGLE the issue. 30 minutes later, I've got the issue fixed, thanks!
on two wheels anymore!
Camoflauge, camoflauge, I disappear when I pull out of my garage!

PM me for LED light bars and HID off road lights
smcalpac is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.