Coolant Sensor Bad/VIC removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Coolant Sensor Bad/VIC removal

50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 06-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
Glued2aPost
1998 ZJ 

Coolant Sensor Bad/VIC removal

First, HUGE thanks to phild328 for figuring this out. I wanted to make step-by-step instructions for anyone who felt like this common problem is beyond their technical abilities. PM me if you have any questions.

To make accessing the VIC easier, apply the hand brake and shift the gear selector down to 1. Remove the ashtray and the two screws behind it. Then remove the two screws in the top of the panel directly above the VIC.

Loosen the lower dashboard on the driverís side by removing the four screws on the bottom of the panel.

Open the passenger door and remove the screws under the dashboard as well as the one on the panel that faces the door. A short screw driver works best.

Open the glove box and remove the two screws above the latch. Then remove the screw in the right corner, then the left (reverse the order to make reassembly easier.)

NOTE: The two screws in the corners are longer than the rest of the trim screws.

Your dashboard should be hanging freely at this point, except for one clip directly to the left of the VIC.

To unfasten the driver and passenger side dash panels, pull forward on the lower right corner of the driverís side dash panel while pushing back on the lower left corner of the passenger side dash panel.

Your VIC should be easy to access at this point.

Remove the three screws securing the VIC. There are two on top and one underneath.

Pull the VIC forward until you can see the plug and wires. Push in the tab on the top of the plug and slide it out.

Find the pink and black wire on the plug and match it to its corresponding pin.

Removed VIC:

Using a T10 torx screw driver or bit, remove the six screws securing the face of VIC.

The VIC consists of two circuit boards. Unscrew each and place the VIC face down.

On the back of the bottom circuit board, locate where the plug is attached and flip the board over.

Locate the soldering contact for the pink and black wire.

Clean the pin and re-solder the contact. (I have never soldered before I took on this project. Check youtube for some good instructional videos.)

Allow the solder to fully cool off.

Reverse steps to re-assemble and install.

Enjoy beep free driving.

Glued2aPost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
MaintMech
Old, and in the way.

1996 ZJ 

That's nice, good job!!

Now if we could tie this to the other tread and make both a sticky......

I fought Oracle and Oracle won!
MaintMech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

I know it's been done before , but your write-up seems simplified . Love the pics . Good job , you made it look easy
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
jeep-man
1997 ZJ 

great tutorial man. I did this in probably 30 min and its not beeping anymore.
jeep-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
jeep-man
1997 ZJ 

So the beeping is gone forever, the only thing now is that none of my interior lights work at all. Has anyone had problems like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Unread 06-20-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
Glued2aPost
1998 ZJ 

Did your interior lights stop working after you fixed your VIC?
Unread 06-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
jeep-man
1997 ZJ 

Yeah, I believe so.
Unread 06-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
Glued2aPost
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep-man View Post
Yeah, I believe so.
Well...that's bizarre! All I can think of for the interior lights is the dimmer switch and the fusebox. I'd start there.
Unread 06-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #9
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

glad i have a 93, 8 screws and mine out
Unread 07-04-2011, 12:16 AM   #10
jeep-man
1997 ZJ 

I wouldn't mind taking it to a good repair man, so that they can check out everything that needs to be replaced or fixed. Does anyone know any good and recommended shops/service stores in Seattle area?
Unread 07-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #11
Argo
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the write up with pics. I just did this today with this topic up on my netbook as reference. The PITA clips wasn't that bad to deal with. Just gently push the console by the VIC in and gently pull the clip area on the driver's side forward. Wait for the "click" and done. Just do the reverse to reattach. Though having plenty of light behind the console helps greatly in realigning the clips.
I didn't have a bad solder problem, but there was a bit of corrosion in the same area on the opposite side on the corner of the connector. Cleaned it up with some water and baking soda with an old toothbrush. Rinsed it off real good with Isopropyl alcohol and set in in the enclosed jeep to dry for a few hours. Reinstalled, no hood open indicator or Coolant Sensor Bad message with beeps. So far, so good.

Last edited by Argo; 07-05-2011 at 07:39 AM..
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 11:52 PM   #12
airwolf9090
1996 ZJ 

Nice info i did it and it fixed my problem now not even a week or two after and my VIC blacked out..... Don't think the fix caused it but idk. but its blacked out but i can hear it beep sometimes.
Unread 07-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #13
airwolf9090
1996 ZJ 

I guess i know what happen to mine. a little blurry but you can see it burned up.......

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/89/burntchip.jpg/
Unread 08-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #14
artemis5

Well, I just went through this procedure and apparently I was successful. I say apparently, because the process of leaving the shifter in gear 1 required me to leave the key in the off position, which in conjunction with the open doors drained my battery. I am charging it up now.
I had two solder joints which were clearly cracked. I have circled them in the attached photos. Looks like they are the usual suspects. Both are connector pins. The photos show my repaired solder joints.

UPDATE: My battery is recharged, my idle speed is restored, and I now also enjoy ding-free driving.

Last edited by artemis5; 08-11-2011 at 10:38 PM..
artemis5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 05:39 AM   #15
Glued2aPost
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the feedback. This may need a little editing. I did most of my work with the passenger door open. Prevente4d the annoying key in ignition alarm and the lights turned themselves off after a few mintes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.