"Coolant Sensor Bad" FINALLY FIXED!!!! - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > "Coolant Sensor Bad" FINALLY FIXED!!!!

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 07-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #106
allenalthor
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCeS OuT View Post
Guys the Coolant Level Sensor is in the coolant reservoir. Fix it for $20 and the message goes away. Worked for me.

I thought it would be an easy fix too, but it wasn't. I do have a new coolant level sensor though, Gonna have to try diggin into the box, see if it works.

allenalthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #107
BrendaC

Bad Coolant sensor

Thanks so much to all who replied to my problem. The information you gave me was great Phil. I'm hoping I don't have to go to all that trouble & it's a simple fix like LaCesOut had. That's where I'll start. I was told that Jeeps are notorious for sensor problems. So here goes. Thanks again. Will let you all know what it turns out to be.
BrendaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 07:15 PM   #108
gothchick
1998 ZJ 

Thanks to the OP and all the great info in this thread. You guys are life savers. This has been driving me crazy. Reflowed the solder joints. All fixed up now. Love my Jeep even more now if that's possible. LOL.

Finished 4x2 --> 4x4 conversion.
gothchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 02:30 AM   #109
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

I had the annoying VIC msg and beep as well but reflowing the solder joints fixed the issue perfectly. Just for safety sake I re-flowed all the pins and added a tiny bit of new solder to each joint, dead silent for almost a month now!
Unread 01-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #110
Muaymendez
1993 ZJ 

Revivng this thread again. I tried awhat was pointed out here although my 93 circuit board differs slightly from the pictures listed above. I did find one solder joint cracked and reflowed it but the message for the coolant sensor didn't go away. I even grounded the coolant sensor plug and still nothing so I am at a loss.
If this doesn't get resolved I will just se the VIC housing for some Auxilliary switched for lights I am planning to add.
Note a few weeks ago I used a paper clip to jump the two posts of the collant sensor plug and it stopped for a few minutes and I thought all was clear but then it started again. Now I am thinking that the VIC was ok and there maybe another problem.
Like I said Its really not a big deal at this point since I may just turn it into a switc box.
Jose
Rahway NJ
Muaymendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #111
dunkeye11
1996 ZJ 

On the topic of the Vic itself

I changed my rear lights and have" rear lamp failure"..... All the lights work I just don't know what I did wrong

Sorry to hijack this old thing
dunkeye11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 04:48 AM   #112
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

3RD brakelight? Side marker bulbs? LOM present?

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 05:14 AM   #113
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkeye11 View Post
I changed my rear lights and have" rear lamp failure"..... All the lights work I just don't know what I did wrong
Make sure bulbs are correct type... and all 3 center brake lamp bulbs are good.

To help isolate if you have a bulb problem or a VIC problem...

Locate the Lamp Outage Module behind the small removable panel near the lower-left corner of the hatch.

Bypass the LOM by unplugging both connectors and plugging them together.

If you still have Rear Lamp Failure, then likely bad solder joints in the VIC.

KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 05:21 AM   #114
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaymendez View Post
Revivng this thread again. I tried awhat was pointed out here although my 93 circuit board differs slightly from the pictures listed above. I did find one solder joint cracked and reflowed it but the message for the coolant sensor didn't go away. I even grounded the coolant sensor plug and still nothing so I am at a loss.
If this doesn't get resolved I will just se the VIC housing for some Auxilliary switched for lights I am planning to add.
Note a few weeks ago I used a paper clip to jump the two posts of the collant sensor plug and it stopped for a few minutes and I thought all was clear but then it started again. Now I am thinking that the VIC was ok and there maybe another problem.
Like I said Its really not a big deal at this point since I may just turn it into a switch box.
Jose
Rahway NJ
For testing... Coolant Sensor can be replaced with a 3.3KΩ resistor. If the message is still there, then likely VIC solder joint(s). Fractured solder joints may not be easy to see, even with a magnifier.

I found several fractured solder joints, the main ground pin solder was worst. I resoldered every pin in both rows.

KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #115
allenalthor
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaymendez View Post
Like I said Its really not a big deal at this point since I may just turn it into a switc box.
Jose
Rahway NJ
I had the same problem. Coolant Sensor Bad kept coming up all the time. After exhausting everything I could think of, and replacing everything external, I finally went for the dash. Nasty job. I kept hearing air running through my heater core, but had heat and no leakage that I could see or smell. I found a pinhole in my core, replaced it, and cleaned every (a lot) contact I could putting it back together. I did not check solder joints (probably should have). Not only did it take care of the Coolant Sensor Bad msg., it also fixed direct things that were not working, e.g., "High" setting on blower, dome lights, dimmer switch.... Jeep was still running a little warm, but the msg cleared. It was still losing just a little coolant... about a pint a week. Temp was not quite "too hot" but higher than it should be. Thought it might be the water pump, but it didn't fluctuate or get worse over a couple of months. Finally went to replace the pump, the only thing left I hadn't replaced. Found the gasket blown out in three places. Replaced the gasket and pump for good measure. I now have a brand new coolant system from radiator to heater core trying to fix my coolant system issues. Finally... no more VIC msg, overheating, and just plain worry about trying to actually take it off-road.

Last edited by allenalthor; 01-08-2013 at 11:16 AM..
allenalthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #116
dunkeye11
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreaZJ

Make sure bulbs are correct type... and all 3 center brake lamp bulbs are good.

To help isolate if you have a bulb problem or a VIC problem...

Locate the Lamp Outage Module behind the small removable panel near the lower-left corner of the hatch.

Bypass the LOM by unplugging both connectors and plugging them together.

If you still have Rear Lamp Failure, then likely bad solder joints in the VIC.
I meant to say I changed the light housings
I got two new ones and it says that the lights have failed
I will check tonight if the lights are actually dead
dunkeye11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #117
exportrus1

I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9 and have had this problem for the last year. I did exactly as you said and BINGO! IT IS FIXED! Thank you very much. The only thing I did different was just re-solder all the pin contacts on the circuit board. ..just to be on the safe side. Again thank you very much...what a headache that beeping was. I owe you a beer.
exportrus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #118
Mad-Duke
1997 ZJ 

Thanks this has been nice... I just fixed it today so not sure what the long run holds... I ended up soldering all kinds of pieces to hoping it helps it down the road. Usually it blinks like crazy about coolant sensor... not anymore. I also use to have Rear Lamp Failure... Which I just assumed was because it was a broken VIC... However after the sensor error went away, that stayed lit, looked into it and actually had two bulbs blown... So it does its job effectively now.. THANKS!!

As a solder idiot... I had no idea what to do... So I youtubed it... Here is some fast info for those that care in the future.

Tin the Solder Iron = Melt a small bit on the solder iron gun.
Use the melted solder on the gun to touch the piece of metal/wire/whatever your trying to add solder to.
Don't use the solder on the gun but instead on the metal/wire/whatever and let THAT melt the solder.

Hope this helps someone looking for this in the future.
Mad-Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 06:16 AM   #119
matt5tt
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for this!! I don't really do much DIY and have not done soldering before but I managed to do the fix and the annoying beeping is gone so I would recommend tackling it. Took about 45 minutes. 2 of the solder joints were obviously fractured.
matt5tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #120
huntermike04

Another highjack, please

I was reading through this thread a few years ago, and this seemed like some brilliant diagnostic work, but I didn't want to take the time to tear down the dash to fix it. Wellll my blower now only pushes HOT air, so I have the dash tore down to work on that issue, and figured I would address my "low coolant" annoyance once and for all. Thanks to to the original poster for the good post. I wanted to also ask if anyone on this thread has had issues with the blend motor on their HVAC system? I am getting fault code 23 and 55 on my climate control unit. Anyone have experience with this?
Thanks,
Michael
huntermike04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.