"Coolant Sensor Bad" FINALLY FIXED!!!! - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > "Coolant Sensor Bad" FINALLY FIXED!!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #76
almonet
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 97 and saw everything described. Thanks for the cash free fix!

almonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #77
t0ast3d
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Fixed the VIC for free. Working like a champ!
t0ast3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #78
jonathaneugene

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathaneugene View Post
I feel big pictures are warranted for this...

Here's what I found:

Here's what I did about it:

After two car starts the message hasn't come up. It might be a bit premature to say the "coolant sensor bad" is fixed, but the outcome looks promising.

It might also be worth mentioning that I didn't remove the plastic that is above the glove box as to do such requires the drilling out of two rivets. I just didn't want to deal with that. Carefully pulling back the VIC plastic with all of the other trim removed worked for me.

Finally, to all the noobies out there, take heart in knowing that this was my first soldering project. If I can do it, you likely can too
It's been over a year now, and still no problems with the VIC. I'm considering this a permanent fix.
jonathaneugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 03:23 PM   #79
ZJJay

1996 ZJ 

Thanks a bunch for the follow-up and especially the photos. My ZJ has been doing the same thing for over a year. I've added this fix to my "To Do" list.
'96 ZJ, 4.0L, 42RE, NP242, stock D30 and D35-LS w/ 3.73, 4-1/2" lift, 32" BFG ATs, Magnaflow, JKS track bars and disconnects, spare tire carrier, Optima red top, ROLA roof rack, KC SlimLite driving lights, CB and Yaesu ham radios, GPS
ZJJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 11:58 PM   #80
SteveOuthwaite

Firstly, sorry for the zombie thread resurrection. Not a good start for my first post here i know, but I am compelled to say something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phild328 View Post
This is for a 96 Grand - others may be different or not.....
I cannot tell you how happy you have made me. 2 days after buying my Grand Cherokee and I'm plagued by beeps. I was a bit pissed off because the bloody thing was fine on the test drive. Anyway You described the problem exactly. Cracked solder joints on pins 1 and 2 on the connector. Now I'm all beep free.
For the record mines also a 96 and it was 3.3kohm on the raised sensor and 0 ohm at the low coolant level.

Now all I've gotta fix is the heater hot-air-mixer flap thing and the heated seats before the winter comes.

Thanks from Norway
SteveOuthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #81
Evilsage

drudging up old threads is a great way to fix a problem, just finally found 2 hours to pull apart my dash and there were a couple broken leads on the VIC this thread helped immensely Thank you so much for all the great info!

This fix has made my brake light and coolant sensor stop lying to me!
Evilsage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #82
Azalin_00
1997 ZJ 

VIC Fix

Anyone in the Houston area want to fix this for me? I got $50 in it for ya.lol But seriously, pm me.
Azalin_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 12:21 AM   #83
97CherokeeSport
1997 ZJ 

Alright guys first of all my problem, seconds of all, how do I make a new thread?

Problem 1: I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ 4.0L with two stupid beep warnings from the VIC. One says "Coolant Sensor Bad" and the other "Coolant Level Low". What could be the causes of this? I was thinking of getting new sensors but who has $200 just for that? I was also wondering can the "pink with black stripe wire" be a cause of both the beeps or just the "Coolant Sensor Bad" one? How about the sensor in the resovior for "Coolant Level Low" beep?

Problem 2: I also have a 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L with the double cooling fan setup. The Auxillary Electric Fan is constantly on, even when it's a cold start, it turns on the second it starts! The A/C or defrost is not turned on. I am wondering what would cause this to occur.

Thanks in advance!
Cole
97CherokeeSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #84
two98ZJs
1998 ZJ 

jonathaneugene, in your pic post #78, what did you do to pic 2 over pic 1? Best I could tell, was it re-solder the three connector pins far end? thks.

"Isn't a 'near-miss' somewhat of a 'hit'??????"
two98ZJs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #85
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Yes, that's exactly what he did.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #86
two98ZJs
1998 ZJ 

Thanks MickeyD, I wasn't aware VICs were repairable. My 5.2 LTD's VIC was dead for about five years and last spring I ordered a new VIC. Been working great since, it tells me to ck the tail bulbs, not pulling enough amps with the LEDs.

Unread 01-20-2012, 12:26 AM   #87
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Load resisters would fix problem with the LEDs.
One resistor is required for each light bulb

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #88
two98ZJs
1998 ZJ 

Thanks HDrockNroll, I'll add the four resisters as required. I opened the lower tail lens chamber and added matching light sockets on both ZJs. They are both OEM stockers, mallCrawlers.

Driving the LTD home Wed from a WallyWorld spire and noticed the VIC was reflecting the same clock time as the radio. Does anyone know if the VIC's clock time is set by the radio? I could not find a clock set option when I set the date on the new VIC.

Unread 01-21-2012, 04:56 AM   #89
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Clarification, One resistor is required for each LED light bulb

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #90
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

If the radio has the ccd bus hooked to it the radio automatically sets VIC time.
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.