"Coolant Sensor Bad" FINALLY FIXED!!!! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > "Coolant Sensor Bad" FINALLY FIXED!!!!

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #61
MaintMech

1996 ZJ 

I'll be doing this also. Once the weather warms up here. I figure around June.

Great posts and information!

Thanks!!!

MaintMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 05:00 AM   #62
jimebeans
1998 ZJ 

I wanted to update all, that this is in fact what my issue was. After I resoldered the connections on the back of the main board, I have yet to see a single coolant sensor alert. I had 5 points gone bad, makes me wonder how many more elsewhere I have.....

thanks for the great advise!
jimebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #63
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

When i fixed the vic over a year ago i didn't mess around, i found the exact location of the cause and yes it was the solder joints on the connector, i didn't just fix the bad ones, i did em all!. I looked at the rest of the pcb especially the heavier components on it and re flowed them too!. since there seems to be a common theme with cold solder joints developing with time in the JGC its prudent to do everything you can think of while the component is out, time consuming, yes!, but better the cover your behind and spend an extra 30 minutes or so, as opposed to days or weeks cussing a new problem out down the road!. but that my 2 proactive cents on it!.

Im happy there's another fixed issue and a happy jeep owner!!!
Smokey1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #64
jonathaneugene

A few years ago a Jeep dealership said they fixed my cruise control by resoldering the control unit (the one stuck to the vacuum diaphragm with the cable that goes to the throttle). FYI for jimebeans
jonathaneugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #65
mwcarr74
1996 ZJ 

This fix is easy and works great!

Thanks so much for posting this solution to an all too common problem! I was a little nervous soldering on the circuit board, but I finally had an excuse to try out my ColdHeat soldering iron (haha).

I am more of a mechanic than an electrician, but this was a very easy fix for me to perform and it worked like a charm. This also inspired me to fix a few other nagging problems. I also now have courtesy lights that work as they should and most of my vacuum lines routed correctly.

Now it's time to find out what's draining my battery constantly...

Thanks again!!!!A+++++
mwcarr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 07:40 PM   #66
Glued2aPost
1998 ZJ 

For anyone who feels intimidated by this project, I made a little guide with pictures:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c.../#post11719192

Have a beep free day!
Glued2aPost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #67
eddycurrent
1997 ZJ 

My 97 Grand Cherokee does this coolant sensor bad crap too.
I bought jeep because I thought they were good. After repair after repair I see them for the Junk they are.
Should have Went with the gov. clunker program too late now. Will never own another one - that is for sure.
disgusted in TN
eddycurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #68
Derph
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddycurrent
I bought jeep because I thought they were good. After repair after repair I see them for the Junk they are.
Should have Went with the gov. clunker program too late now. Will never own another one - that is for sure.
disgusted in TN
I'll be moving to Memphis soon. If u want I'll take it off your hands!!
Derph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #69
Glued2aPost
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddycurrent View Post
disgusted in TN
I'm sorry you don't like your Jeep, I actually bought mine because of it's problems. I had to move from Oklahoma to Alaska and knew my Mustangs wouldn't cut it in the great white north. I have wanted a Grand Cherokee since they came out and now I had a reason to buy one. I found a 98 limited with a 5.2 and a lot of wear and tear, but all the major things worked well. It was priced at $6800, I ran through the options list and counted up everything that was wrong and bought it for $5000. Fixed everything that didn't work myself for $20. Replaced all the worn out pieces for about $500. About $1000 in parts are on order to increase power, handling, and fuel efficiency, and reliability well over what a ZJ could do when it was new.

I'm not a mechanic and own less than $200 in tools, but with the help of this forum and the Jeep community in general, there is nothing that I can't fix on my own. I love my mustangs as if they were my children, but I love my ZJ because I gave it just a little TLC and it has rewarded me with being a very fine vehicle. One that I'm trusting with my life when the temperatures drop below -50 with a foot of snow on the road.

I gotta go hug my Jeep....
Unread 06-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #70
joburocks
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Another interesting fact is that this sensor is tied to the computer via the VIC, and does force the computer into closed loop, feeding it outrageous amounts of fuel, as it does during warm up. Fixing this increased fuel mileage exceptionally.
IS this true? Sounds like BS
joburocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 04:14 AM   #71
marcjac
2002 WJ 

I want to thank Glued for the SUPER pictorial! I took my time and followed exactly. My only problem was that I couldn't see any cracks on the circuit board where I needed to solder even with a magnifying glass. But I resoldered anyway and haven't had the message in 3 days. I keep looking down to the VIC waiting for the beep but so far so good! Hopefully this took care of the problem once and for all; what an annoying problem to live with LOL. Thanks again Glued!!
marcjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 08:48 AM   #72
Glued2aPost
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjac View Post
I want to thank Glued for the SUPER pictorial! I took my time and followed exactly. My only problem was that I couldn't see any cracks on the circuit board where I needed to solder even with a magnifying glass. But I resoldered anyway and haven't had the message in 3 days. I keep looking down to the VIC waiting for the beep but so far so good! Hopefully this took care of the problem once and for all; what an annoying problem to live with LOL. Thanks again Glued!!
Super welcome! One of these days I'll fix my sunroof and post that too
Unread 06-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #73
bmw50

Another one fixed!

GREAT POSTS… now mine is fixed too.
I started out by cleaning and checking the coolant float. The resistance checked just like the original post said, check the black wire for ground and that too was good. When I plugged it in, the fault was gone… well, for a day before it went off again. I was not surprised since my ohmmeter said it was ok. The next step was to remove the glove box and bezel around the VIC; removed the VIC and opened it up. When I looked at the connector pin solder joints on the circuit board with the naked eye, they looked fine, but when I look at them through a loupe, WOW! I could see a crack all the way around four of the pins. I had two bad joints on both ends.
I would like to add that the VIC would occasionally go blank, so I suspect the other two pins had something to do with the power supply.

Just wanted to tell my story and thank phild328 for the original post and all those that contributed to fixing this problem. THANKS!!http://www.jeepforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
bmw50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #74
pennyduke
1998 ZJ 

Phild328 should get the Nobel Jeep Prize for this post. I have been driving my 96 for 6 years with the bad sensor light flashing. It took me 30 minuites total to fix mine. I also fixed the Headlight Switch while I had the dash apart. It was blinking the dash lights for a long time before they finally failed. It had about 6 bad solder connections. Feels like a new Jeep. Thanks to Phild328
pennyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2011, 01:00 AM   #75
scooter83

Wow OP, you must really hate that damn beeping to go through this much effort lol

I've had mine beeping this warning at me for 4 years, but the funny thing is that when the coolant is actually low, it says "Coolant Low" instead of the usual "Coolant Sensor Bad".

I love my jeep, it's been great, the only problems I've had in 8 years is the "coolant sensor bad", the always breaking rear hatch handle, a couple brake/rotor replacements, a few failed dash lights, radiator replacement, suspension work, differential replacement, and just other regular maintenance. About $2000 in repairs over 8 years, not bad since that's what I've spend in 1-2 years with some of my other nightmare vehicles.
scooter83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.