"Coolant Sensor Bad" FINALLY FIXED!!!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > "Coolant Sensor Bad" FINALLY FIXED!!!!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 07-20-2008, 08:50 PM   #16
318jeepcherokee
1998 ZJ 

Myn dose the same thing.. but it dosnt bother me to much i am used to it so thats on the bottom of the list.. a guy at work has the same GC as myn and he did what you did and it fixed the problem!. i might get him to give me a hand on myn.

-1998 grand cherokee 5.9- custom intake, MTX sledge hammer sub with two JBL audio speakers in the rear doors and JVC deck, Westin safari bar with two 6' lights, Yakima load warrior with reverse lights, Hooker aero chamber muffler.
318jeepcherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2008, 09:32 PM   #17
dvZJ89

well im going to join the party and tell you all that mine has been pissing me off alot for the past 3 months... especially after it was telling me coolant temp. sensor bad and now this message! couldn't figure it out for the life of me because the one in my reserve works because that one says low and i just filled it up and it went away. If you wanna check and see if your reserve sensor works remove some of the coolant or all and start your jeep, drive a little bit or let it idle and your warning should come on that says low coolant level. Simply refill the tank and see if the message goes away, if it does, the sensor is still good and go with what phil says and ripping your VIC apart. I have yet to get the time to do it but if that works I owe him tons
dvZJ89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2008, 09:35 PM   #18
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

Doncha just love it when a 3 year old thread get resurected, and ppl act like it's new info
Kruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2008, 12:40 AM   #19
funpig
2002 WJ 

Seems to be a pretty common problem. I have this bad sensor warning come and go for both the coolant and the wiper fluid, as well as the rear light warning. Perhaps this should be stickied.
funpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #20
BullOnWallSt
1997 ZJ 

I almost want to print this off and bring it to the dealer and start a recall on it. If they don't want to I will have Mike Cox (the state of Michigan attorney general) take care of this since he did the same for me on a 2000 dollar dash problem with a CL 500 Mercedes I have. We will see how long it takes tho..
Unread 08-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #21
02WJOverland
2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
Doncha just love it when a 3 year old thread get resurected, and ppl act like it's new info
You gotta love people using the search function

"I am buying a new Jeep, just one piece at a time"
02WJOverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #22
CLNinja
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCeS OuT View Post
Guys the Coolant Level Sensor is in the coolant reservoir. Fix it for $20 and the message goes away. Worked for me.

you really should read posts before replying to them

he mentioned how to check the coolant level sensor to see if it was the cause. THEN he went into how to fix it IF it WASNT the cause.

oh and i just love when people use the search function to find a post and then bring it back to life.... if a thread hasnt been replied to in over a year it should be automatically locked to prevent this
[color="#003300"]Matt[/COLOR]
[color="white"][CENTER][size="1"]
[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434081"][color="white"]Click Here For My Build Thread[/COLOR][/url]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][B]**September 2009 Grand Cherokee Of The Month**[/B]
[SIZE="2"][url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123"][color="white"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #88[/COLOR][/url][/SIZE][/CENTER]
CLNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2008, 05:38 AM   #23
Bennett190

Coolant Sensor Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by phild328 View Post
This is for a 96 Grand - others may be different or not.
Ok, like others I had the annoying "Coolant sensor bad" message on the vic most of the time. And the beeping while you drive - you think a door opened up or something. I've been working on fixing it for what seems like forever. First I didn't know much about the jeep and had no resources. So the coolant level sensor was replaced along with the coolant temp sensor for the PCM.
So the truth is: This message is generated by the coolant level sensor. It is directly wired to the VIC and the VIC is the only thing that uses it. So it really doesn't matter at all. It is just a dumb warning light.
Ok, so how do you fix. I'll bet most of the problems are exactly like mine, but I'll go over the easy stuff first. And Jeep should pay for it because it is a shotty manufacturing flaw. But before I reveal the secret, lets make sure your problem isn't a simple one.
Take the coolant level sensor out and unplug it. First test the sensor. Put an ohm meter accross it and when you push up on the float (as if there is plenty of coolant) it should read 3.3K ohms - or close to, mine is 3.2K. Then let the float drop and you should get closed condition (near 0 ohms).
Now put the ohm meter on the connector from the jeep. First connect it to the black wire terminal. And put the other side of your ohmmeter to a good ground (like the battery term). Should be close to 0 ohm.
Put the sensor back together and plug it in. Give a spray of contact cleaner while you are there. Under the drivers dash, there is a plastic cover near the ODBII connector. Pop it off. There is a orange and white connector that is fairly large, it has 20 wires I believe. Pull it out and find the pink with black stripe wire (same color as at the coolant sensor). Measure resistance between it and a good ground. It should be 3.3Kohm (as long as you have enough coolant in your reserve tank). Spray with contact cleaner and put back together if all is good.
Of course if any of the above is bad, fix the wiring or the sensor. But my guess is it is good. So here comes the fun part.
Tear apart the dash and remove the VIC. Look somewhere else for a dash removal inst. Basically remove the glove box and the panel around it and the panel around the VIC, with two screws behind the ash tray.
Unplug the VIC and take to the bench. Open it up (need torx bit). Get the circuit board out. On the connector - look for your pink with black stripe wire and match to the pin on the circuit board. Then look on the back and look at the solder joint. If you have a magnifying glass or good light - you'll probably see what I saw - a bad solder joint (cracked at the connector pin). Its neighbors may be bad also. Use a soldering iron and reflow with a little new solder. Do the others while you are in there. Put everything back together and enjoy beep-free driving.

Now I get to go rub it into the stealership - since they had no clue what the message even meant. I thought they would know how to fix it - yeah right. If you want it done, you gotta do it yourself.
I want to thank you for posting how to fix the problem with the VIC code (Coolant Sensor Bad). I have been trying to find and fix this problem for 2 years. I changed the temp. sensor 3 times and the coolant level sensor thinking that was the problem. The Jeep Dealership here had no idea what the problem was. I did like you said and checked the wiring at the coolant bottle and under the dash, then I knew the VIC solder was bad where you said it would be. Problem fixed, no more pulling my hair out. Thank you
Bennett190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #24
Hid_positive

i just got the notice to come up and plan on fixing it withing the next few weeks. Ive got so much work and i dont know when im gonna be able to get around to it. Probably next weekend.
Hid_positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2008, 06:33 PM   #25
zjay

I checked this out on mine last weekend since I replaced the sensor and checked the ground. Even under a good light the solder connections looked great. but under a magnifying glass, the outer 4 were real bad. Soldered them up, and 5 days now with no beeping! It's fixed at last. Thanks for the writeup!
zjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2008, 07:53 PM   #26
Hid_positive

any chance of my jeep fixing itself? i mean the light came on and then the car sat for a few days while i drove my other car and when i drove it today i noticed there wasnt the note on my info thing
Hid_positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 06:34 PM   #27
lar4305
1997 ZJ 

Well that did the trick. thanks, Checked the solder joints for cracks, and there they were. solderd them up and no more beeping and warning. Great post.
Unread 03-17-2009, 06:40 PM   #28
Plan-B
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashmd454 View Post
o well...I don't wanna fix mine if I have to read a post that long....

same. lol

Holy freakin Bump! wtf?!
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2009, 06:01 AM   #29
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

This thread... dead, alive, dead, alive... but at least people are using search!
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2009, 04:05 PM   #30
jthayer0715
1998 ZJ 

I tried this fix on my 98 limited and I fried my VIC before I even got to solder it ...it doesnt even work now. I guess I will have to get another one and hope that was the problem. Is it bad to drive without a VIC for awhile???
jthayer0715 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.