"Coolant Sensor Bad"?? on '96 ZJ 5.2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > "Coolant Sensor Bad"?? on '96 ZJ 5.2

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-13-2006, 01:04 PM   #1
oneillsean

"Coolant Sensor Bad"?? on '96 ZJ 5.2

The information center in the middle of the dash on my GC keeps flashing "coolant sensor bad." The engine temp is fine when I'm driving. Also, no problems with the coolant level in the reservoir - no leaks from the radiator or water pump, everything seems o.k.

The local Jeep service manager says there are three sensor but my Chilton's manual doesn't distinguish. I don't want to take it into the dealer if I don't have to.

Has anyone had a warning message like this before? '96 GC Laredo V8.

Thanks.

oneillsean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2006, 01:30 PM   #2
van93zj

its the one in the reservoir i have a 1993 gc w\ the 5.2 and it did the same thing its 19.99 at oreillys just tell them coolant level sensor
van93zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2006, 07:03 PM   #3
oneillsean

Thanks for your help.
Unread 08-15-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
Wookie06
1996 ZJ 

Mine has been lit for awhile. I always figured that's why it flashes coolant level low even when it is fine. I'll replace mine soon as well.
Wookie06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2006, 07:20 PM   #5
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

it's called a buy new parts lights .. my 4 wheel drive switch and coolant sensor have been bad for about 6 years now...

oh I still havent replaced either one
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2006, 07:45 PM   #6
oneillsean

I bought a new coolant sensor ($15) for the coolant reservoir and the ligtht still comes on. Checked the wiring connections and they seem o.k.
Unread 09-14-2006, 12:17 PM   #7
blakely03

It's a loose solder joint inside the VIC that is causing the circuit to open and close. You would have to take it apart and re-solder the joint...or just live with the flashing light. It is a very common problem with the ZJ. It won't hurt anything to let it flash like that...just make sure to manually keep an eye on your coolant level.
blakely03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2006, 04:52 PM   #8
oneillsean

Thanks alot. When you say the solder joint is in the VIC, you mean behind the center dash.
Unread 09-15-2006, 05:08 PM   #9
blakely03

Yes, the solder joint would be behind the screen. I have been meaning to pull mine out now for about 6 months...just haven't gotten around to it and have learned to live with the flashing.
blakely03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2006, 10:45 PM   #10
user jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakely03
It's a loose solder joint inside the VIC that is causing the circuit to open and close. You would have to take it apart and re-solder the joint...or just live with the flashing light. It is a very common problem with the ZJ. It won't hurt anything to let it flash like that...just make sure to manually keep an eye on your coolant level.
hey are you sure this will fix the problem? cuz if u are then im doing that tomorrow. thanks
user jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2006, 01:56 PM   #11
user jeep

still looking to do this...
user jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2006, 11:13 PM   #12
sgarlic

I know a lot of people have mentioned re-soldering the joint, but I wondered about whether or not that message refers ONLY to the coolant level sensor. Reason being, a few weeks back, I got that message, so I pulled out the coolant level sensor altogether, reconnected the harness, and got "coolant sensor bad" along with "low coolant." So it seems to me that the coolant LEVEL sensor was working just fine. Anybody looked at a wiring diagram from the sensors to the VIC to see if the coolant temp sensor runs through this circuit too?
96 5.2 Ltd - Flame Red - Every factory option except engine block heater, [URL="http://www.sgarlic.com/jeepsite/dccfan.html"]Taurus Electric Fan / Delta Current Controller[/URL], removed silencer, 15% tint.
sgarlic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2006, 11:32 PM   #13
user jeep

where exactly is the joint. i took apart the dash and the screen and inspected the circut boards, re-soldered a few that looked imperfect, and im still getting the message...
Unread 09-16-2006, 11:41 PM   #14
phasewolf

You know what they say when in doubt shotgun them all. Sometimes a solder joint can be bad and look just fine and there are not a lot of them so just to be safe I would just add a little fresh solder to them all and call it a day. Cant hurt unless you bridge a joint so be careful not to do that.
phasewolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2006, 11:44 PM   #15
user jeep

oooo!... that'll take forever!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.