Coolant Reserve Tube in my right wheel well - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-28-2015, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
APoetNamedWill
1997 ZJ 

Coolant Reserve Tube in my right wheel well

Hi guys, so my Jeep is my first vehicle, so I'm learning on the fly, and I had a quick question. There's a tube coming off the top of my coolant reserve/overflow bottle that leads down into my right front wheel well and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what that is. I narrowly avoided going head on with a (noun removed) who thought it'd be a good idea to pass someone on a blind corner and the right side of my Jeep dropped into a deep ditch. Everything looks okay, but it felt like a jolt on the vehicle and i'd never looked and thus never seen this tube before. I'm just worried that it's supposed to be attached to something. Or is it just a vent of some sort? It's a 1997 ZJ Limited, 6-cylinder. Any ideas?

Last edited by APoetNamedWill; 09-29-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-28-2015, 09:33 PM
AnotherRedZj
1996 ZJ 

You said it yourself. Coolant overflow tube. If over heated, thats where it comes out instead of all over your engine bay.

96 ZJ sittin up 6" on 35's with 4:56's and a 12k winch. Cuz...why the hell not!?
post #3 of 8 Old 09-28-2015, 10:03 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Look and see if you have a tube from the outside of the radiator neck over to the coolant overflow reservoir. At least that's the way my 96 4.0 is set up and the tube connects to the upper side of the reservoir. There's no tube coming out of the very top of the reservoir or cap and maybe that's what RedZj is referring to.
post #4 of 8 Old 09-29-2015, 08:50 AM
vlackattack
1997 ZJ 

97 4.0 is the same as what Uni said.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-29-2015, 10:10 AM
AlamoJeeper

1995 ZJ 

My 1995 4.0 has the hose leading from the radiator filler neck under the radiator cap over to a plastic molded in tube on the front of the overflow tank in the right rear of the engine bay. The molded in tube appears to go to the bottom of the overflow tank. There is a similar molded in tube on the backside of the overflow tank which appears to be able to take fluid from the top of the overflow tank and route it downward. It does not have a tube connected to it, even though it appears to have a place for a piece of tubing to slide over the bottom inch or so of it. It may not even be open at the bottom of the tube. I would have expected for the overflow tank to have an overflow tube of its own leading down below the chassis.

FWIW and other years definitely may be different.

AlamoJeeper
- 1995 4.0L ZJ NP249 - mostly stock
- 2008 Jeep Patriot 5 speed Manual 4X4 - for sale, great car.
For an equipment list, go to http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/. Under "YOUR VEHICLE", click "Equipment Listing". Then enter the VIN (all caps). It will work at least to 1993.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-29-2015, 10:17 AM
zander21510
1995 ZJ 

That tube should lead to the radiator filler neck. Odds are if there's a tube connected there and to the coolant reservoir, you're good.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-29-2015, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
APoetNamedWill
1997 ZJ 

Awesome, guys. Thank you. Everything looks intact and the Jeep got me to work fine this morning. Thing saved my life. If I'd been driving a little car I would've been head first into the ditch. Jeep was just all like, 'yay! I love off-roading!'
post #8 of 8 Old 09-29-2015, 02:38 PM
zander21510
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by APoetNamedWill View Post
...Jeep was just all like, 'yay! I love off-roading!'
Lol...I can just imagine the Jeep as a puppy all excited..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.