coolant leak from oil pan, help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > coolant leak from oil pan, help?

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 05-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #1
xxxxxxxxranger_1999
1998 ZJ 

coolant leak from oil pan, help?

Okay here's the ordeal. If i leave my jeep for a few days without driving, say 2 or 3 days, i will start to have coolant leaking down the oil pan from what looks like the bottom of the crankshaft pulley.

I cant actually tell where its coming from, i can only see in a limited space. Its not a horrible drip, but a small puddle every few days of not driving.

I replaced my waterpump and t stat before Christmas. I used RTV on the seals as well. im not ruling those out, but i cant see the bottom of the waterpump to actually tell or not.

Someone mentioned a freeze plug? but i would like more input if possible.

xxxxxxxxranger_1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

When you installed the new water pump did you clean all the gasket/dirt off of the bottom mating surface super good where the oil/grime accumulates above the timing chain cover? Did you install a new water pump inlet tube as can be seen in the below link or just use the old one? Sometimes the old ones are hard to seal correctly and can leak. Also make sure your hoses are tight.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ater+pump+tube

While you can't see exactly where the bottom of the pump meets the block look to see if the coolant may be coming out of the weep hole which would indicate a faulty pump.

Most likely wouldn't be a freeze out plug since they're on the sides of the block. And since the T-stat is in full view on the front of the 4.0 you should be able to see if it's leaking. Good luck.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
xxxxxxxxranger_1999
1998 ZJ 

thank you, yes i did clean the opening well, chisled the old gasket off and used acetone on a rag and cleaned the whole area well. unfortunately i had to use the old hose inlet tube, as the were out of stock for new one. I guess ill just pull the fan off and take a closer look.
Thank you..

although i find it odd it doesnt leak after i drive it. Its just after 2 days or more of sitting.
Unread 05-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

YW and if you can remove the fan clean everything off with spray brake cleaner then you may be able to see where the coolant is coming from after sitting. They also sell a UV marker you can use or eventually the coolant should leave a trail/residue where it's leaking.

I've also had to use the old inlet tube on new/rebuilt pumps before and supposedly on some there's an o-ring down in the port which needs replaced. But after putting gasket sealer on the threads it seems like they don't always bottom out but haven't had them leak after doing this. And I do use gasket sealer (Ultra Black) rather than regular RTV on any coolant mating surfaces even with a water pump gasket.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
dellis
1998 ZJ 

I had a small leak that looked like it was beading off the oil pan at the front, and I assumed it was the water pump ... replaced the water pump, but the leak continued.

It turned out to be the top radiator hose had a small pin-hole. I discovered it by moving it around while the car was hot.
dellis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

How about the coolant bypass hose?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
xxxxxxxxranger_1999
1998 ZJ 

Ok thanks. Ill check more thoroughly
Unread 05-07-2013, 05:31 AM   #8
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Mine's doing that, but it sort of weeps from thermostat housing gasket, then drips on the pump and all the way down to the sump.
shaban is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.