Coolant Leak From Front of Engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Coolant Leak From Front of Engine

Road Race Motorsports Fuel Calibrator for the 2007-2011 JKIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
jeep360limited

Coolant Leak From Front of Engine

i was coming out of NAPA today, the jeep needs more money spent on it, and i noticed there was a puddle of coolant underneath. i got under it and it looked to be dripping off the harmonic balencer. i dont think it would be leaking from there, maybe a hose higher up or from the water pump is what i was thinking.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited-----SOLD
jeep360limited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
SJZ
Victim of Hope & Change

1998 ZJ 

Location: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A shining city upon a hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep360limited View Post
i was coming out of NAPA today, the jeep needs more money spent on it, and i noticed there was a puddle of coolant underneath. i got under it and it looked to be dripping off the harmonic balencer. i dont think it would be leaking from there, maybe a hose higher up or from the water pump is what i was thinking.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
It could be coming from anywhere in the area, but I would bet money that your water pump shaft seal is leaking.
'98 ZJ Laredo 5.2 Selec-Trac (249 to 242 swap)
'05 KJ Limited 3.7 Selec-Trac
'94 ZJ Limited 5.2 Q-Trac- sold, after 17 years
'67 International Harvester Scout 800; 345ci V8,T18 4spd, Dana 20 TC
'06 Chrysler 300C SRT8 6.1L
SJZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
92rslt1
2002 WJ 

water pump
Unread 02-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
jeep360limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJZ View Post
It could be coming from anywhere in the area, but I would bet money that your water pump shaft seal is leaking.
would i need to replace the water pump, and if so, is it that hard to do by yourself?
Unread 02-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
SlimGoaty
1997 XJ Cherokee 

start looking into the water pump, it could also be coming from the timing cover. There are small water-ways that flow between the water pump, timing cover, and block. This is not really a fun job at all but if you let it go and it leaks into the timing cover it will start mixing with the oil. I think I was quoted at 900$ to have it done and thats at only 60$ an hour labor. More than likely your water pump like mentioned.

My buildup on CherokeeForum

97 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231, RE 5.5, Tom Woods DS, AA SYE, 35x12.50 KM2,
Upgraded Harness, PIAA bulbs, Rustys Tie-Rod, L&L Fab bumper,
Quadratec 9500i Winch, Aussie locker, 4.88's
SlimGoaty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
SJZ
Victim of Hope & Change

1998 ZJ 

Location: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A shining city upon a hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep360limited View Post
would i need to replace the water pump, and if so, is it that hard to do by yourself?
Yes, you would need to replace the water pump. Hard or not is subjective. Folks do it every day on similar vehicles, right in their driveway. If anything, it should be a little easier for you with the 5.9, since you don't have the mechanical fan & it's associated shroud to remove.
Get a mirror & a flashlight, and see if you can verify that coolant is coming out the weep hole, aft of where the shaft exits the water pump casting. Check when the system is under pressure. You would hate to change the pump unnecessarily.
'98 ZJ Laredo 5.2 Selec-Trac (249 to 242 swap)
'05 KJ Limited 3.7 Selec-Trac
'94 ZJ Limited 5.2 Q-Trac- sold, after 17 years
'67 International Harvester Scout 800; 345ci V8,T18 4spd, Dana 20 TC
'06 Chrysler 300C SRT8 6.1L
SJZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
Mazdarx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I just changed mine, it was pretty simple. I think it took me maybe 3 hours all together and I was taking my time. You will need a few tools to do it, you need a socket and an extension, and a combination wrench. I forget the exact size, but it might be 9/16. Anyway it is much easier as mentioned on a 5.9 than a 5.2 as the electric fan makes it much easier. That clutch fan is a pain, when my dad did his he made a tool out of flat steel to get that off. The belt is easy, just put a wrench on the tensioner and pull it to the drivers side, it will release the tension from the belt and then you can slip it off while you hold the tensioner to the side. Water pumps go quite often on these, mine is on its 3rd now that I know about. As is my dads 96, and its almost due for another we figure.

91 Yj Renegade, lifted, built 4.0L, 33's etc
Mazdarx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
jeep360limited

ok i will see what i can do, thanks guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.