coolant leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > coolant leak

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 11-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
moojamboo
1994 ZJ 

coolant leak

So recently i noticed a wet line in the front of my 94 ZJ limited 5.2, after it has been parked. just started happening a few days ago. today i noticed that it leaks in a puddle if i pull into a spot and turn off the car imidiatly and if i leave it running when i pull in the line forms. I think it may be comming from the water pump maybe? and dripping onto the pulley below and spraying the coolant in a line below the jeep when left on for a bit before turning off. we just go the jeep and thought it already had a new water pump but the jeep just hit 70,000miles and the previous owner may not have known really what he was talking about.

is there a way to make sure it is comming from the water pump? how hard is this to replace? any specialty tools needed for the repair?

moojamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
WJ4x4LIFE

I do not mean to be a ****, but you did not post any information on what kind of model, engine, and it tends to help a lot! Depending if it was installed properly or not, there is a weep-hole it can leak from. I cannot help anymore as I do not know anything else about your vehicle.
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
moojamboo
1994 ZJ 

sorry i forgot i updated my post. its a 5.2 limitted
Unread 11-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
WJ4x4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by moojamboo View Post
sorry i forgot i updated my post. its a 5.2 limitted
thread post #4: step by step.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/z...5-2-a-1327108/
Unread 11-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

The first sentence he said he has a 94 limited 5.2 usually the water pump leaks from the weephole or the gasket between the pump and timing cover if not installed properly easiest way to see if it is the pump is to look up underneath it after you shut it off when it starts puddling where does it puddle up. Is it more towards the block or up towards the radiator?
Unread 11-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Anothrr easy way to get the clutch off is take some pb blaster and spray the nut then take a cold chiesel and smack it once or twice. Mine came off with 2 hits when i did my e fan swap
Unread 11-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
moojamboo
1994 ZJ 

does it sound like it is the water pump? could it be something else leaking that i'm missing? kind of hard to tell when everything gets sprayed with coolant. any tips on diagnosing?
Unread 11-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
moojamboo
1994 ZJ 

another thing i forgot to mention was that the coolant resivoir is at just below the add level when cool and there is still pressure enough to push coolant out of the radiator cap...any ideas?
Unread 11-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
WJ4x4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by moojamboo View Post
does it sound like it is the water pump? could it be something else leaking that i'm missing? kind of hard to tell when everything gets sprayed with coolant. any tips on diagnosing?
Could rent a (coolant pressure tester) @ your local parts-store, and ensure that it may not be coming from one of your hose clamps, by chance. It has happened to the best of us as well, no one is perfect...
Unread 11-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
moojamboo
1994 ZJ 

so i have my kids first birthday party comming up this weekend and i know it needs to get done so how much do you think it would cost to have a shop do it?
Unread 11-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #11
kachink
1998 ZJ 

The 5.2 has a short bypass hose that goes from the top of the water pump and to the block. It's almost completely covered by the large bracket that holds the ac compressor and other accessories. The only part of it that is visible is the hose clamp at the water pump end. I thought I had a leaky water pump and it turned out to be only the bypass hose, but I had to take the bracket and accessories off to find that out.

If you can see the coolant coming down the side of the pump, I would suspect the bypass hose. If you can see it coming from the weep hole, then it's the water pump. I would also check the thermostat housing area too. I try to eliminate the easy fixes before jumping into the harder ones.

If it is the water pump you're probably looking at $450 ish to have a shop do it, or $150 ish for a pump, coolant, maybe a couple of hoses, etc. to DIY.
kachink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #12
rlcii77
1998 ZJ 

If I'm remembering correctly, my '94 only leaked out the water pump's weep-hole after engine shutdown, at first, then, after a few weeks, it started leaking a little during operation as well... I just did the bypass hose on the 5.9, and, it's not that difficult or time consuming if you're familiar with the 318 or 360 engines... You do have to unbolt the accessory bracket and swing it out of the way... You might check the thermostat housing for leaks too, the 10 or 11 o'clock position on the housing likes to leak, iirc... If you do end up replacing the pump, I'd go ahead with the bypass hose too while you're at it... For the cost of it, it's good peace of mind... I think I had around $75 in my pump and bypass hose, already had the RTV, t-stat and t-stat housing gasket... Good luck ! !
rlcii77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #13
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

It could the the bypass hose under the alternator/ac bracket... Or it could be the thermostat seal has gone bad... My 5.9 when I fixed my intake plenum and hooked it all back up had a very small leak in the thermostat gasket... I bought a new thermostat casing and used RTV but I guess it didn't seal very good... it doesn't leak enough to drip on the pavement.. only enough to cause some crust build up around it... and because of the work involved in take it off.. im not worried about it..

But yea check those 2 spots.
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
moojamboo
1994 ZJ 

so i thought it might be the water pump by the looks of the underside of the waterpump and where i saw liquid comming out. not sure if this helps but maybe

but looking at how to take it off i went to loosen the fan assembly and i see someone may have already done the water pump by the looks of the nut on the fan assembly seen here:

so i have two questions which both may sound like i don't know anything about cars but for some reason this water pump assembly is stumping me.

1. is it possible that it is not the water pump if it has been replaced and the jeep only has 70,000 miles? can anyone tell from the photos if its a fairly new water pump?

2. they say to put a screw driver or pry bar across two bolts on the water pump pully to keep it from spinning so you can break the nut loose on the fan. sorry buy how in the world do you get anything in there? and is it really the bolts on the pully or the water pump itself?
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:28 AM   #15
moojamboo
1994 ZJ 

Alright after some more research today I have found that my water pump probably was replaced because new pumps come without bolts. Hence there is nothing to pry against to loosen the fan clutch bolt. And probably explains the chewed look on the bolt now. Any advise on replacing the water pump this time since there are no bolts?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.