Coolant Flush - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Coolant Flush

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-27-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
2002GC

Coolant Flush

I have a 2002 Grand Cherokee.

The dealer said that I was up for a coolant flush, which I am because its been a couple of years since they did it last.

Does anyone know how to do this, I assume there is a drain plug on the bottom of the rad. So I just drian it all out and then fill it back up with water and run the heater full cycle and then driain and re-fill with new coolant, right?

Also, does the rad. cap come off the top of rad, I can't get it off? Thanks

Last edited by 2002GC; 02-27-2008 at 08:09 PM..
2002GC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
mailforjon
2005 WK 

prestone makes a handy little kit that you can get at napa/autozone for like 8 shingles.

it has a T fitting that you install into one of your heater hoses (sort of a tight squeeze on the V8)so that you can hook up a regular garden hose.

then you hook up the hose, run the engine with the heater on full blast, open up the radiator cap and let the water flow out until its clean.

then take off the hose, drain the water out of the radiator, open the bleeder and start filling with new mixed coolant, when coolant comes out of the bleeder and your new T fitting (meaning the water has been displaced out of the system, close them up. fill the reservoir.

idle for a while w/ heat on. check level in radiator and add as necessary (with egine off and cool obviously).

dont do this near the lawn. antifreeze will kill the grass. i discovered this the hard way.

-2005 WK 5.7 Limited [DD]
-1999 WJ 4.7 Limited [SOLD]
-1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited [SOLD]
-1996 ZJ 5.2 Laredo [SOLD]
-1994 ZJ 4.0 Laredo [SOLD]
-1993 XJ 2.5 [SOLD]
mailforjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2008, 09:51 PM   #3
magneticred
2008 WK 

I would just drain and change the fluid, unless it is dirty or very old. As above, there is a drain on the bottom of the radiator. Drain the coolant when it is not too hot (under pressure). After the reserve tank is empty, open the bleed plug by the thermostat. When you refill, be sure that you fill to the bleed plug opening, then tighten the bleed plug and fill the reserve tank. Run the engine and recheck the level of fluid in the reserve tank. Be sure to use the correct coolant!!! Don't use the regular old coolant (usually green) or the DexCool (usually orange). Be sure to use approved coolant for your model Jeep - I used Zerex G-05. There is a nice review:
http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/cooling.htm#DRAIN47
magneticred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2008, 10:04 PM   #4
CMARJEEP
2001 WJ 

you have to twist it off while pushing down and it should come off. it has pressure release so you dont melt your face off. its kinda tricky....
Unread 02-28-2008, 06:24 AM   #5
2002GC

Thanks for the help.
2002GC is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.