Converted the front drive shaft from CV to U... vibration... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Converted the front drive shaft from CV to U... vibration...

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wHalloween Savings to die for!

Unread 05-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #31
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

the ideal method is to swap the yoke on the axle.

Unread 05-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #32
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBoy1991 View Post
So what is the recommended conversion method? I thought spicer flange is the idea way to install the 8.8
the 8.8 is a different animal and was made for that. the companion flange is "hub centric" on that. the cv joint yoke on grands is more of a "pilot centric" design that uses the dome of the cv joint to properly center things.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #33
Tigersan

1998 ZJ 

As expected they are now making problems with returning my money... They will "check" if its balanced properly.
If its not they will give me my money back if it is they wont. Wow so what? They didn't check it before they sent it out???
That they have to check it out again? I hate businesses like that. I will NEVER EVER say a good word about them
to anyone and if you are converting your jeep UNLESS you have your own shop and months of time to play with their
drive shafts to make them work, DON'T get anything from them... It's a biggest mess I've ever seen in a business.
They sent it to me with hand written invoice, then they wonder why isn't it in the computer, I had to email them a scan.
Numerous times they said they will call me back, but they never did, I have to call them about everything! It feels as though
they just want to sell u their stuff and then ure on your own. "So long sucker!" Never again! Most terrible business experience
I've ever had in my life...

And now the guy I talked to tries to sell me some bull... That it's a different drive shaft type and the angle is different... etc etc...
They think I'm an idiot or something? Angle didn't change! Nothing changed except the joint type, shaft is in straight line in
both cases so only way for a vibe to occur is if something isnt balanced properly. And the crush sleeve and preload bull...
well if that was messed up it would still vibrate when I put my cv shaft back in, well unless it magically fixed itself... Wow I'm
out of words... They are trying to find any reason not to give me my money back... what a waste of time and money...
Unread 05-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #34
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I was going to get their CV shaft adapter front shaft to try and avoid a yoke swap until I read the fine print that they do not guarantee that it will be balanced and free from vibes. I went to the JY after that.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #35
Tigersan

1998 ZJ 

Yeah man I would stay away from them if I were you...
Unread 05-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #36
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Wait a minute...did you set the pinion angle when you installed the ujoint shaft? High speed vibration is typical when its not spot on.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #37
Tigersan

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
Wait a minute...did you set the pinion angle when you installed the ujoint shaft? High speed vibration is typical when its not spot on.
Why would I even do that if axle yoke position and TC yoke position is unchanged, angle is the same. Shaft is in line there's no change in alignment between one shaft and another.
But just to answer the question i even made photos of the angle and sent them to Carolina Driveline and they said the angle looks fine. Besides I didn't put it on, my mechanic did
and he knows what hes doing. I trust him way more than CD guys. That's for sure.
Unread 05-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #38
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigersan View Post
Why would I even do that if axle yoke position and TC yoke position is unchanged, angle is the same. Shaft is in line there's no change in alignment between one shaft and another.
But just to answer the question i even made photos of the angle and sent them to Carolina Driveline and they said the angle looks fine. Besides I didn't put it on, my mechanic did
and he knows what hes doing. I trust him way more than CD guys. That's for sure.
I've been running one of their front shafts for years now without a hitch. And this is the first time I've heard negative about CD.
Unread 05-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #39
Tigersan

1998 ZJ 

Well, maybe I got a bad luck. But that doesn't make it ok for them to treat a
customer like they have. I would be happy too if everything worked. You should
be thankful everything worked fine.
Unread 05-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #40
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

Well, I can't agree with either side... It took 2 front shafts and 4 rear shafts before the vibes are gone for me. They are still there around 70mph but not bad enough to tear anything up on the jeep.

That being said, they never stopped trying to help me. I never asked for my money back... And they even claimed that the shaft I sent back balanced out perfect by another "friends" shop. But they always sent me another and we got it fixed pretty damn near perfect. I never asked for my money back because they always offered a replacement..maybe I would have had a different experience if I demanded my money back rather than letting them correct their mistake.
KyBoy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #41
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigersan View Post
Well, maybe I got a bad luck. But that doesn't make it ok for them to treat a
customer like they have. I would be happy too if everything worked. You should
be thankful everything worked fine.
I don't get lucky often with my ZJs

I don't know anything about adapter plates. But I got to thinking that even if the pinion angle is the same, the ujoint driveshaft may be less forgiving than the CV. Anyway I hope you get things straightened out.
Unread 05-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #42
Tigersan

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBoy1991 View Post
Well, I can't agree with either side... It took 2 front shafts and 4 rear shafts before the vibes are gone for me. They are still there around 70mph but not bad enough to tear anything up on the jeep.

That being said, they never stopped trying to help me. I never asked for my money back... And they even claimed that the shaft I sent back balanced out perfect by another "friends" shop. But they always sent me another and we got it fixed pretty damn near perfect. I never asked for my money back because they always offered a replacement..maybe I would have had a different experience if I demanded my money back rather than letting them correct their mistake.
Well only reason i wanted U joint shaft was because i had older 4.0 ZJ that
had it in the front by factory. And I can't imagine why would they put a CV
joint on a drive shaft, since its less durable. And U-Joint when its straight
almost at all normal riding time, wont cause vibrations (Ideally)... So i decided
I wanted something more durable, and I never even thought that I would
have trouble like this. I clearly stated when i ordered it that all I need is a
replacement. And I also stated that i dont have much money to spend. To
me that is a clue to mention all the other possible problems and costs that
can happen installing their product. They neglected to mention that, and they
explain themselves that they cant predict which customer of theirs is
mechanically inclined or not... Fine... then return my money when the product
didn't meet my expectations. I don't care if it was balanced correctly or not,
they didn't explain to me that it could be problematic. All I needed was a fast
bolt on. Aside of that, after i put in rebuilt CV shaft vibes are gone, so IF it
really was preload problem and crush sleeve problem it would be messed up
permanently since the yoke was touched... So how in the world magically did
it fix itself? So now I'm waiting for them to decide if it's balanced improperly
and basically to see IF im gonna get my money back. Let alone the fact that
now they can say whatever the hell they want just to avoid refunding me.
Based on all experiences I had with them I'm inclined to believe that they would
say that its balanced properly just to avoid refunding me... How can I be sure?

They just don't care, once they got your money. Also the way they talk...
I feel like they see me as some kind of idiot just because i didnt know about
setting preload and replacing the crush sleeve. And they think of such idiotic
excuses thinking I'll buy them... Like "It's a different kind of drive shaft, the
angle is different" - seriously...
Unread 05-30-2013, 05:46 AM   #43
bolowbc
1998 ZJ 

Tell them you will submit a report to the BBB if they don't refund your money within a set amount of time, say 10 business days. And if you don't get a refund, go ahead and submit the report.
bolowbc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #44
Tigersan

1998 ZJ 

Just to set things straight, I owe them that after I sent so much **** their way. They did return my money after the shaft came out to be unbalanced properly.

So they did come through in the end... And I regenerated the original CV Join shaft in and the vibrations are gone.
Unread 08-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #45
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I don't feel bad for you one bit. It clearly states on their website that they do not guarantee that it will balance. Also a CV shaft is much smoother than a U joint shaft and pretty strong as well granted you don' wheel with it while the sway bar is disconnected. This whole thing sounds like a ridiculous waste of money and drama. Instead of getting either a u joint or cv shaft you got something totally different and it didn't work.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.