Converted the front drive shaft from CV to U... vibration... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Converted the front drive shaft from CV to U... vibration...

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueECGS DOTW - $100 off Yukon 8.8 C-Clip Eliminator KitNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 04-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #16
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

I really like all the guys at Carolina Driveline, however it took 2 front shafts before they got it right and no vibes, and I'm on my 4th rear shaft and still have vibes. This last one they sent me was put on their "nascar" balancer and spun up to 8000 rpm flipped and done again, then rotated 180 and done again...they promised it to be perfect. Yet I get it, and it shimmy's at 35-45...then it stops and starts again at 60 and never goes away.

I remove the shaft, and I can drive as fast as a jeep with 33s can go without any vibes.

now, i have adjusted, and replaced EVERY control arm in my jeep. I've put in poly bushings in the tranny mount(it was shot anyway), I've even replaced the entire rear axle and upgraded to a 8.8 because over 2 years of fighting their vibes it wore out my D35, and tore into the tcase twice. I'm currently working with them to eliminate this, and what I truly think is it's harmonic vibrations. I've talked with Tom Woods personally, and he even thinks the same thing as he drives a 95 Grand Cherokee and it took lots of work to get the vibes out of his personal ride.

I'm building this tool http://forums.hrja.org/showthread.ph...alignment-tool to 100% verify my angles AGAIN to them. They told me they'd build me whatever size shaft I wanted but I only get 1 more shot. So my thoughts once i verify vertical and horizontal alignment is to request a 3.5" diameter shaft to push the harmonic vibe area well above 90mph.

I would make 100% certain your angles are right. If you search my name you'll see another thread talkin about this, and another ZJ owner north of the US border built this tool and eliminated his vibes, and how ZJs are built with lots of slop and it's a mystery how they don't vibe from the factory. I truly think it's a combination of several things, but what I'm finding out, is you have to be less than 1* off before getting the vibes eliminated. I think i've been there several times, but then again the CD shop guys have put doubts in my head....so I want to prove them wrong.

IF you can find a buddy that has a 99-2001 regular cherokee, borrow the front shaft from them and see if you get vibes. That's how I was able to prove it was their shaft. They CAN'T deny when one works and theirs doesn't.

KyBoy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #17
Tigersan

1998 ZJ 

I just told them to send me the replacement CV shaft... and ill send this one back to them...
You think their CV joints wont vibe? Or should i just request a refund and just get a new gennuine CV...
I'm at the point of paying extra money for the genuine original shaft just to get rid of the vibes.
I dont offroad, i drive it as my regular everyday car... So new CV shaft should live for a while right?
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:52 AM   #18
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigersan View Post
I dont offroad, i drive it as my regular everyday car... So new CV shaft should live for a while right?
I think this is your answer.

IMO, most everyone upgrades away from the original style shaft for strength when lifting, offroading, etc. IF you aren't doing any of that, why go away from what was working all along???

There is always a trade off when modifying your jeep, generally you upgrade one portion of the ride, and you're going to have to upgrade a few more to make it work like you want. I can't say I've ever known it to be as simple as messing with one part, everything has to work together in unison.
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #19
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

No point in swapping to u joint if you are not lifted and don't off road.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #20
Tigersan

1998 ZJ 

Yeah i thought of that. My only concern is, that i like to press the gas pedal to
the metal quite often, and im worried that new CV shaft might poop on me the
same way the old one did. On the wet asphalt rear wheels slipped with gas pedal
pushed to the end then AWD engaged and i head the crunch lol. My question is
if this happened because the old CV joint was worn, or will this happen also with
new one?

Thats my main concern.
Unread 04-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #21
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigersan View Post
Yeah i thought of that. My only concern is, that i like to press the gas pedal to
the metal quite often, and im worried that new CV shaft might poop on me the
same way the old one did. On the wet asphalt rear wheels slipped with gas pedal
pushed to the end then AWD engaged and i head the crunch lol. My question is
if this happened because the old CV joint was worn, or will this happen also with
new one?

Thats my main concern.
How long did the first one last? There is always a possibility of breaking something when the wheels suddenly catch like that on road or off.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #22
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigersan
Well before the CVjoint pooped there was no vibration atall. It was smooth
like gliding up to 90mph (didnt go any faster) no vibration whatsoever.
It started vibrating after i put the new shaft in. So i doubt its a T-case.
I mean logically it will be something that was messed with during the shaft
replacement process. Or the shaft itself.
If you have a 96+ Zj, (I believe you mentioned a niner) you can remove the front drive shaft without killing the VC. Take the shaft out and get it up to speed. See if the problem persists.
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #23
Tigersan

1998 ZJ 

@PolkaPower i bought this car in last june, she had 84k miles on her. The shaft pooped few weeks later on wet asphalt.

@Midnightluckey i have driven it without the front driveshaft for few months before i ordered one from CD. It was vibing only at precisely 70mph, one mph more or less and it stopped vibrating. Before the CV pooped it wasnt vibrating atall...
Unread 04-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #24
Tigersan

1998 ZJ 

Ok, I have rebuilt my old CV shaft and put it back in... Vibrations are gone...
So... Carolina Driveline guys just earned themselves a bad name in my book...
its not the preload, nor the crush sleeve bull****. Its their shaft, unbalanced
or whatever, its worthless. And them blaming my mechanic made it even worse
in my eyes.
Unread 04-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #25
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

Tell them and get your money back......no sense in letting them keep it
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #26
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigersan
Ok, I have rebuilt my old CV shaft and put it back in... Vibrations are gone...
So... Carolina Driveline guys just earned themselves a bad name in my book...
its not the preload, nor the crush sleeve bull****. Its their shaft, unbalanced
or whatever, its worthless. And them blaming my mechanic made it even worse
in my eyes.
Well I'm pretty sure they don't promise anything with those u joint to cv yoke plates. I'm still confused, did you remove the yoke off of your axle or not?
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:26 AM   #27
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Iff you used the adapter plate you can almost never get rid of the vibes.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #28
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
Iff you used the adapter plate you can almost never get rid of the vibes.
You're referring to the adapter for a cv type connection at the front diff, correct?

Or are you talking about the same "adapter" that is used on the ford explorers to bolt up the shaft to the rear end of an 8.8????
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #29
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

The Ford companion flange is similar.
Those sometimes don't seat evenly in the cv yoke and will vibe. Thats why they're nor guaranteed to not vibe and not the recommended method to convert.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #30
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

So what is the recommended conversion method? I thought spicer flange is the idea way to install the 8.8

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.