Control Arms (replacement) Grand Jeep Cherokee 1997, 4L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Control Arms (replacement) Grand Jeep Cherokee 1997, 4L

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 09-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
kwm300
1997 ZJ 

Control Arms (replacement) Grand Jeep Cherokee 1997, 4L

Hello experts, please offer advice on the condition of the bushings on my control arms, i've replaced them with new control arms. The mechanic stated that the front upper/lower control arm bushings were loose in the arms and that the rear control arm bushings were purished and loose as well.
He stated best to replace the whole arms as getting the bushings out of the original is a *****. I've replaced all the arms (except the front upper control arm bushes and the front lower control arm), i don't notice any difference in ride comfort or handling. Overall its cost me $1100.
I'll replace the front lower arm once it gets re-checked to pass its warrant of fitness as i'm guessing it will need a wheel Alignment as its caster, camber, Toe In, Toe whatever will be out of whack....

So the question is, what's your opion on the condition of the bushes???
there's seven control arms in total, photo is of each arm and its other side.
please refer to photos in the link below, ignore the naming of the files...
https://www.dropbox.com/l/KvQxYHlrIrNOtKBf7OamRe

cheers for any comments
kiwi guy
http://www.jeepforum.com/ubb/hi.gif....aAH1-SHTrc.gif

kwm300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Yep, most of those bushings look well trashed.

But $1100 to replace control arms? Seriously? Are we talking gold-plated arms or a gold-plated mechanic?
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 03:04 AM   #3
kwm300
1997 ZJ 

thanks man...$1100...thats the price one pays in nz for being a jeep owner...
Unread 10-01-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

I guess.

Out of interest, how did the bill break down into parts and labour? I just priced up a complete set of control arms on RockAuto and although the shipping to NZ would cost more than the arms, total cost would have been $708 in NZ dollars. If you'd installed them yourself (very easy), you could have saved $400
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:57 AM   #5
stormer1092
1994 ZJ 

I don't think you would need an alignment for replacing control arms? If anything it would put it back to where its supposed to be.
Unread 10-02-2013, 01:10 AM   #6
kwm300
1997 ZJ 

fitted myself in the weekend, i also looked at rockauto, but when i spoke to one of the support reps online they stated that the bushings did not come with the arms, even though the web stated it did...
Unread 10-02-2013, 01:29 AM   #7
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

RockAuto's arms *do* come with the bushings. Regardless of brand, I've never seem control arms sold without them.
Unread 10-02-2013, 01:39 AM   #8
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

I got almost the exact same quote from a local shop. What did i do? Bought a lift kit and tool set, craigslist tires and wheels and saved about $250. I consider the knowledge and confidence gained from the process valuable also.
Unread 10-02-2013, 04:46 AM   #9
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

I bought a full set of poly bushes for just over US$120 and fitted them in my existingcontrol arms myself. Easy enough to do and a lot cheaper then $1100.
moggie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 06:30 AM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Those look a hell of a lot better than my lowers did when I finally changed them. The center metal sleeve in mine was torn free from the rest of the bushing and just floating in there causing my ZJ to wander all over the road at highway speeds. I replaced all the lower control arms and it felt nice and tight like new again. The front lowers were the most beat up.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #11
kwm300
1997 ZJ 

that was also my thining PolkaPower, i've seen other control arm bushings on this site and my look +vely new, but i'm no grease monkey, i like to make a start it doing it one-self, but when things get hard i call in my bro to assists...
moggie99..good luck with your poly bushes, the guy as SAS (local suspension agent) says they're good for playing skittles with....but not much else...

cheers guys for your responses, this is a great place to learn and shares experiances...

km
Unread 10-03-2013, 01:55 AM   #12
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwm300 View Post
the guy as SAS (local suspension agent) says they're good for playing skittles with....but not much else...
The guy at SAS has a right to his opinion. So do the millions of satisfied car owners all over the world who've upgraded (and it *is* an upgrade) from rubber to poly bushes. I have poly bushes in my ZJ, they transformed the handling, and I'd put them in my KJ as well, if only Energy Suspension made them for the KJ.
Unread 10-03-2013, 02:19 AM   #13
Mike2909
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Different trains of thought between different mechanics, nothing new there. I was told that for road use poly bushes are a definite upgrade.
For off road driving there is an opinion that rubber is better as it flexes more which you need when 4 wheelin.
Mike2909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2 View Post
The guy at SAS has a right to his opinion. So do the millions of satisfied car owners all over the world who've upgraded (and it *is* an upgrade) from rubber to poly bushes. I have poly bushes in my ZJ, they transformed the handling, and I'd put them in my KJ as well, if only Energy Suspension made them for the KJ.
I have to say that since changing them 18 months ago I have had no problems. Handling on road is better, noise levels are lower than the old worn bushes and off-road performance is fine, too. Large degrees of flex are not often needed where we operate on various types of sand, good body control is important because of the relatively high speeds attained.
moggie99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.