Control arm cam bolts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Control arm cam bolts

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
black97grand

Control arm cam bolts

Was putting polyurethane bushings in my control arms last weekend and when i got to one of the cam bolts it turns out it is siezed to the inside of the bushing. It will not come out. I priced one out because im going to have to cut it off and it is $38! Can i just use a regular bolt or do i have to have that special one?

black97grand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
sebian
1995 ZJ 

That bolt has a machined surface to match the flat surface on the cam washer. If you felt so inclined, you might be able to get away with a grade 8 bolt, and grind/machine one side to make is work with the cam washer. If it makes you feel any better, I had to pony up the benjamins for all 4 sets of bolts on the front. But the Jeep parts guy did toss in a free Jeep hat, think he felt bad for making me pay $130 for a set of 4 bolts.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
black97grand

What is the point of those cams? Just to lock the nut? Or does it position it or something?
black97grand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

I've never had cam bolts
Unread 12-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #5
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

HUGE difference, i did a F>R swap with springs, and put Extended LCAs, lost my cam washers and new from jeep you can get 2 bolts, nuts and washers..... break well over 100 bucks, ill find a link a company makes a kit for it and its only like 30 bucks for 2 lower bolts, nuts, and washers. i took some 3/16 steel cut it in a square to fit in the little valley, and drilled the hole tight for a grade 8 bolt to fit all the way backwards... ill post a pic and the link when i get it all

Heres the bolt kits.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/782072437-...nXkSv2YqoYGhoF

Here is another one
http://zoneoffroad.com/product-acc?ki=154&gr=2

heres how i did mine. i still need to grind them down paint them and all but i had to get it all in there and get the death wobble fixed, and it fixed it

1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
Devanzj
1997 ZJ 

I had to replace mine when i snapped 2 installing my lift, I got them for 5.00 at the jy and they looked brand spankin new ....its worth a shot

On the way/waiting to go on: ford 8.8, 4.88s
Devanzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 08:21 AM   #7
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by black97grand View Post
What is the point of those cams? Just to lock the nut? Or does it position it or something?
They set the caster angle of the front axle. It's important for steering and pinion angle.
Unread 12-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Soaked mine with Liquid Wrench for a couple of weeks first, came right off.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #9
merlot2twisty
1997 ZJ 

RockAuto has a set of 2 bolts with washers, etc for $30.

ACDELCO Part # 45K0181
merlot2twisty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #10
mr4x4
1995 ZJ 

I think I have some spares in my tool box I find them at the junk yard no charge
Unread 05-12-2014, 10:38 PM   #11
iann32
1995 ZJ 

does anyone know if any parts store carry an equivalent to them such something from another vehicle that'll fit? I've noticed they have them but apparently not for my zj. I have a auto zone, advanced auto and a napa if you have part numbers for it.
Thanks,
Ian
iann32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 10:52 PM   #12
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iann32 View Post
does anyone know if any parts store carry an equivalent to them such something from another vehicle that'll fit? I've noticed they have them but apparently not for my zj. I have a auto zone, advanced auto and a napa if you have part numbers for it.
Thanks,
Ian
If you can wait you can get them both from rock auto for around $20 or a little more.

Sent from the mtns of TN using JeepForum
big98tnzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #13
iann32
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by big98tnzj View Post
If you can wait you can get them both from rock auto for around $20 or a little more.

i just wanted to see if anyone knew off hand. looks like ill just order them. Thanks!
Unread 05-13-2014, 10:29 PM   #14
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iann32 View Post

i just wanted to see if anyone knew off hand. looks like ill just order them. Thanks!
Ive looked in about all of the parts stores and they have had to order them and they are more and individually sold. Rockauto is cheaper and im pretty sure they were moog brand or ac delco

big98tnzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2014, 07:25 AM   #15
iann32
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by big98tnzj View Post
Ive looked in about all of the parts stores and they have had to order them and they are more and individually sold. Rockauto is cheaper and im pretty sure they were moog brand or ac delco

ya ive check too. The ones from rockauto are were like $30 shipped for 2. (ordered a second incase the other gives me an issiue when i lift my jeep in a few weeks). And the ones from zone offroad were like $40 shipped for the kit with 2. And yes the ones from rockauto were moog.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.