Control Arm Bushings Tool - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Control Arm Bushings Tool

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair

Unread 06-29-2013, 09:58 PM   #16
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOne View Post
What I was asking, is what is different about the uppers on the differential end? Are getting those bushings out a different process? It's not obvious to me, because I've never done this job before.
The bushings on the axle end are pressed into the axle housing instead of being pressed into the arm itself.

Unread 06-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #17
MasterOne
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJK View Post
The bushings on the axle end are pressed into the axle housing instead of being pressed into the arm itself.
This is what I was assuming. Can I get the control arm off of the vehicle without removing the bushings off the axle housing? What is the proper way to get the bushings on the axle end off and then back in? Swinging a hammer with barely any room doesn't sound like a recipe for success.
MasterOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 04:56 AM   #18
AVR2
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOne View Post
Can I get the control arm off of the vehicle without removing the bushings off the axle housing?
Yes. You just unbolt the arm as normal.

Quote:
What is the proper way to get the bushings on the axle end off and then back in? Swinging a hammer with barely any room doesn't sound like a recipe for success.
The factory-approved method is to use an uber-expensive Miller tool, but you can achieve the same result with a balljoint press. If you have an impact gun to turn the screw, you can get the rubber out in seconds. See the video below for more info.

Other than that, you can drill the bushing out, burn it out, hammer it out, whatever.

AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #19
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

The miller tool I got off ebay wasn't bad but new, yeah its not cheap. But it sure was easy. No heat, hammering, just tighten the force screw and it popped right out. It worked kinda like this one...http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Mus...ed13a4&vxp=mtr

By using a short piece of pipe, some fender washers, all thread rod ect some jeepers have fabbed a tool to work.
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #20
Area11
1998 ZJ 

When i did my front end bushings (entire front end) i used a torch to burn them out,i then used a wire wheel and drill to get the excess rubber out of the holes.

I still need to do the rear end. Its a ***** either way.
Area11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #21
MasterOne
1998 ZJ 

Thank you to all who have answered my question. I will get back with hopefully pictures and a video after I'm done.
MasterOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #22
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Here are pics of that on a 2wd using the miller tool, you can fab up some stuff and accomplish the same thing. Look at post twelve.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...build-1518536/
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.