Control Arm Bushings Tool - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Control Arm Bushings Tool

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
MasterOne
1998 ZJ 

Control Arm Bushings Tool

I am planning on doing both the front and rear control arm bushings, and was wondering what tool I will need to get the job done? I've read threads and watched videos to where people used a hammer, ball joint press, and other methods, but I would rather not struggle with it and just get the right tool. Thanks.

MasterOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Just buy the whole arm. Cost a little bit more but its easier. Plus then you'll have new bushings and non-rusted/damaged arms! RockAuto has em for $20-25 per arm
ZJNewbi3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:38 PM   #3
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

X2 just get new arms
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:53 PM   #4
MasterOne
1998 ZJ 

It's too late, because I already have the bushings.
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:11 AM   #5
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

I suppose the perfectly correct method would be to take them to a friend who has a press ( as in a machine shop, motorcycle, boat dealer, etc.)....press the old ones out and press the new ones in, except for the uppers on the differential end, obviously. That's probably what I'd do if I had already bought the bushings. As for the uppers, on the axle side, there are some youtube videos that will help out.

Or maybe you could fashion your own makeshift press using a bottle jack and a little creativity in your garage. A heat source would help too.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:29 AM   #6
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

I've never done it but it looks easy enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBXhLzlSlbs
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:30 AM   #7
bigbill888
1996 ZJ 

Simple to do with a hammer.
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:56 AM   #8
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

That works too, although I've never been a proponent of banging on parts unless I have to. I'm more of a "finesse" type of guy....but realize it's not always possible....so when I DO beat on a part.....I hit it very hard with the biggest freaking hammer I can find. I dont jack around with it.

Unread 06-29-2013, 03:36 AM   #9
MasterOne
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
except for the uppers on the differential end, obviously.
What is needed to get those out?
Unread 06-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

There are youtube videos about it. It's a heat and beat job, as I recall. I think it helps to drill holes through the rubber in several places too.

Unread 06-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

http://s347.photobucket.com/user/one...05125.mp4.html by newfieZJ who basically breaks the seal the rust has created between the bushing and the arm (with a BFH) and then smacks it on a solid piece of something (anvil would be awesome). When you can't push them any farther just by bashing them on a block, you wedge something in the arm so it doesn't fold it in on itself, and then use another BFH to beat the bushing out completely. Reverse to install the new bushings.

When I did my 4 lowers, I destroyed a 4x4, I beat on it so much that it eventually just broke apart. So I went to a tree stump with the arms and beat them as hard as I could to get those bushings out. I ended up needing to use a cinderblock too, and looking back I wish I had just bought new arms. It wasn't easy, and really hurt my arms. Partially because I did it during winter, and partially because it felt like smacking a metal baseball bat against a streetsign.
RoldGold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Miller tools makes a tool to remove bushings in the zj. I was going to post a pic of it but the maintenance thing won't let me.
Unread 06-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #13
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOne

What is needed to get those out?
Fire,fire,fire!!!!
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #14
Afdude88
1993 ZJ 

I haven't tried it yet but to do my axle housing bushings in going to try to use a ball joint press.

In theory......one side with the biggest fitting in the press set,something the old bushing can fit into, and the bolt head side of the press with something that is the same diameter as the bushing (a tad smaller though obviously to press it into the axle.

Now i know someone who is reading this is thinking that there will be no way to turn a wrench/breaker bar hard enough to press it out. I agree, if it's an original bushing. My impact should do the trick though. gotta love pneumatic tools.

I will still soak the bushing with pb blaster before doing this though.

The same principle should work with each arms bushing, provided that you.out some sort to spacer in the arm to prevent it from folding.

Now if this method won't work someone please enlighten me before I mess a.perfectly good axle up when I finally do mine.

Dana 35c behind a 242, behind an AW-4, behind a 4.0L Inline Six sitting over a Dana 30, all turning stock 215/75/15 tires and moving a 93 Grand Cherokee to places your truck only dreams of.
Afdude88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #15
MasterOne
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
press the old ones out and press the new ones in, except for the uppers on the differential end, obviously.
What I was asking, is what is different about the uppers on the differential end? Are getting those bushings out a different process? It's not obvious to me, because I've never done this job before.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.