JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Control Arm Bushings Tool (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/control-arm-bushings-tool-1542645/)

MasterOne 06-28-2013 09:18 PM

Control Arm Bushings Tool

I am planning on doing both the front and rear control arm bushings, and was wondering what tool I will need to get the job done? I've read threads and watched videos to where people used a hammer, ball joint press, and other methods, but I would rather not struggle with it and just get the right tool. Thanks.

ZJNewbi3 06-28-2013 10:37 PM

Just buy the whole arm. Cost a little bit more but its easier. Plus then you'll have new bushings and non-rusted/damaged arms! RockAuto has em for $20-25 per arm

JohnnyZJ 06-28-2013 10:38 PM

X2 just get new arms

MasterOne 06-28-2013 10:53 PM

It's too late, because I already have the bushings.

Oldfrog 06-28-2013 11:11 PM

I suppose the perfectly correct method would be to take them to a friend who has a press ( as in a machine shop, motorcycle, boat dealer, etc.)....press the old ones out and press the new ones in, except for the uppers on the differential end, obviously. That's probably what I'd do if I had already bought the bushings. As for the uppers, on the axle side, there are some youtube videos that will help out.

Or maybe you could fashion your own makeshift press using a bottle jack and a little creativity in your garage. A heat source would help too.

jm8881 06-28-2013 11:29 PM

I've never done it but it looks easy enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBXhLzlSlbs

bigbill888 06-28-2013 11:30 PM

Simple to do with a hammer.

Oldfrog 06-28-2013 11:56 PM

That works too, although I've never been a proponent of banging on parts unless I have to. I'm more of a "finesse" type of guy....but realize it's not always possible....so when I DO beat on a part.....I hit it very hard with the biggest freaking hammer I can find. I dont jack around with it.

MasterOne 06-29-2013 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldfrog (Post 15620320)
except for the uppers on the differential end, obviously.

What is needed to get those out?

Oldfrog 06-29-2013 01:07 PM

There are youtube videos about it. It's a heat and beat job, as I recall. I think it helps to drill holes through the rubber in several places too.

RoldGold 06-29-2013 02:22 PM

http://s347.photobucket.com/user/one...05125.mp4.html by newfieZJ who basically breaks the seal the rust has created between the bushing and the arm (with a BFH) and then smacks it on a solid piece of something (anvil would be awesome). When you can't push them any farther just by bashing them on a block, you wedge something in the arm so it doesn't fold it in on itself, and then use another BFH to beat the bushing out completely. Reverse to install the new bushings.

When I did my 4 lowers, I destroyed a 4x4, I beat on it so much that it eventually just broke apart. So I went to a tree stump with the arms and beat them as hard as I could to get those bushings out. I ended up needing to use a cinderblock too, and looking back I wish I had just bought new arms. It wasn't easy, and really hurt my arms. Partially because I did it during winter, and partially because it felt like smacking a metal baseball bat against a streetsign.

coralman 06-29-2013 04:40 PM

Miller tools makes a tool to remove bushings in the zj. I was going to post a pic of it but the maintenance thing won't let me.

dusterdude 06-29-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterOne

What is needed to get those out?

Fire,fire,fire!!!!

Afdude88 06-29-2013 08:01 PM

I haven't tried it yet but to do my axle housing bushings in going to try to use a ball joint press.

In theory......one side with the biggest fitting in the press set,something the old bushing can fit into, and the bolt head side of the press with something that is the same diameter as the bushing (a tad smaller though obviously to press it into the axle.

Now i know someone who is reading this is thinking that there will be no way to turn a wrench/breaker bar hard enough to press it out. I agree, if it's an original bushing. My impact should do the trick though. gotta love pneumatic tools.

I will still soak the bushing with pb blaster before doing this though.

The same principle should work with each arms bushing, provided that you.out some sort to spacer in the arm to prevent it from folding.

Now if this method won't work someone please enlighten me before I mess a.perfectly good axle up when I finally do mine.

Dana 35c behind a 242, behind an AW-4, behind a 4.0L Inline Six sitting over a Dana 30, all turning stock 215/75/15 tires and moving a 93 Grand Cherokee to places your truck only dreams of.

MasterOne 06-29-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldfrog (Post 15620320)
press the old ones out and press the new ones in, except for the uppers on the differential end, obviously.

What I was asking, is what is different about the uppers on the differential end? Are getting those bushings out a different process? It's not obvious to me, because I've never done this job before.

The time now is 01:16 PM.