Continued WJ power steering/cooling fan issue... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Continued WJ power steering/cooling fan issue...

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 07-24-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
780406jeeper
2004 WJ 

Continued WJ power steering/cooling fan issue...

Everyone,
I posted a while back identifying an issue I have been having with my wife's '04 WJ with the 4.7 V-8 and hydraulic cooling fan. We had noticed that the power steering was weak when idleing in drive. Ended up changing the pump out with a Napa Reman unit ($93.00). Power steering felt great and a nice side bonus, the cooling fan would really spin fast when the jeep was warmed up and the AC was on high. Unfortunately that pump started leaking out the fron seal after a month. I got another pump from Napa as well as another pulley (they are one time use). Changed it out on Wed. night after work. Air bled the system and low and behold, the new pump felt worse than the original one in terms of weak power steering. So last night I got a third reman pump from Napa and a third pulley. Changed it last night. Now the steering feels fine, but the cooling fan doesn't seem to want to get into the high speed when the engine is warm and the AC is on.

I have the technical service manual and it states that the fan speed is determined by 4 things, the engine temp, ac head line pressure, trans fluid temp and battery temp (?). Here is my simple question. For those of you with V-8 WJ and hydrualic cooling fan, does your fan spin at a faster rate when the engine is warm and the AC is on high/recirculate? It seems to me like it should but this third pump does not seem to provide enough flow/pressure to make this happen. If it supposed to, I think I am going to bite the bullet and buy a brand new Mopar unit. Ouch!

Thanks for any adivce,
Kevin.

Unread 07-24-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
780406jeeper
2004 WJ 

Oh and another question,
anyone know where I could find the specs for the factory WJ power steering pump? I am looking for gallon per minute (gpm) and various psi ratings for this pump. May have PSC build me one. Also might try an aluminum pulley that I can reuse. I am sick of the throw away china junk. thanks all,
Kevin.
Unread 07-24-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
JForest2
2004 WJ 

I have an 04 with the 4.7 and the hydraulic cooling.. My fan only spins faster when my temp gauge gets to 210. Even with my A/C on my fan doesn't spin any faster..

As for the steering feeling funny, sometimes my steering seems weak at times.. Not all the time just sometimes... But my fan has never ran faster with my A/C on and I don't have any codes showing up..

James
JForest2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.