Continued speedometer issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Continued speedometer issues

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
venom8lss
1995 ZJ 

Continued speedometer issues

I am about at wits end with the randomly working speedometer in my 95 GC. I have been through 2 complete gauge cluster, 3 different circuit boards that go on the back of the speedometer itself, 2 transmission speed sensors, and I have cleaned the grounds that attach to the engine block and fender. When the speedometer works, it works great, and the odometer spins as it should. Then for no reason, it will die completely and take the odometer with it. This seems to happen upon the first time the vehicle is started or restarted. After I drive for about 5 or 10 minutes, it will usually come back on and stay on until the vehicle is restarted again. Temperature does not seem to matter as this has happened in cold, warm, and hot weather. For ****s and giggles, I have tried the cruise control when the speedo dies, and it functions normally.
The way this happens leads me to believe it is some sort of ground issue, but I haven't found any obvious issues. Do any of you have any other suggestions I could try? Could it be the pcm having issues?

venom8lss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
venom8lss
1995 ZJ 

Any other ideas I can try? I'm sure that someone else has had this issue at one point in time or another.
Unread 05-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #3
a70eliminator

Sure have, my 95 Orvis speedometer would just give up randomly too, it register fine and then drop to 0 randomly. I also changed the speedometer head unit and the speed sensor but the problem still there, I gave up on it lol.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Unplug your VIC, then try it.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
dellis
1998 ZJ 

If it were a ground issue with the instrument cluster, then it should affect other gauges as well I would think. Regardless, the ground for the instrument cluster is located at the left kick panel. You can check it and see if that is the problem.

More likely, you have an electrical signal problem between your Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) and your speedometer/odometer. I'm looking at a wiring diagram that I believe applies to your model. The feed off of the VSS is an 18 gauge orange/white wire that runs to a splice, and the splice branches the signal to the Powertrain Control Module, the Transmission Control Module, the VIC (if equipped), and the Instrument Cluster. I believe the splice may be near the injectors (it is labeled "INJ"). The potential problems are (a) in that 20 gauge wire between the splice and the instrument cluster, (b) the connector to the splice, (c) the terminal connection to the instrument cluster, or (d) the connector at the instrument cluster. Inspect the splice and terminal connections to solve (b) and (c). Put some dielectric grease on the instrument panel connector to solve (d). You would just need to run another wire to solve (a).

If indeed that splice is near the injectors, it would make the most sense that vibration from the engine is causing erratic disconnects.
jeep-vss-signal.jpg  
dellis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
venom8lss
1995 ZJ 

Well, I don't have the VIC, so that removes one possible issue, lol. I'll check under the hood tonight and see if I can find the splice. Never even thought about the dielectric grease on the instrument cluster connector. It's just weird how it randomly happens, even on smooth road.
Unread 06-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
venom8lss
1995 ZJ 

Just a little update... I was finally able to get around to taking the dash back apart this past weekend. I dielectric greased the mess out of the speedo circuit board where it connects to to the speedo head and the cluster plug itself. Long story short, it still is acting the same way. I really hate digging into the wiring harness considering its all located at the back of the valve cover with very little room to work. I would hate messing up another wire for something trying to remove the wire loom cover. This freakin sucks .
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom8lss View Post
I have been through 2 complete gauge cluster, 3 different circuit boards that go on the back of the speedometer itself, 2 transmission speed sensors, and I have cleaned the grounds that attach to the engine block and fender.
Do you mean Vehicle Speed Sensor?
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #9
Redsand
1998 ZJ 

I have been troubleshooting the exact same problem in my '98 since April now. I have spent countless hours with the dash apart, as well as a few of my mechanic friends. I am at absolute wits end also. I have given up as it was stressing me out. Im eventually gonna bring it to a real shop and leave it until they figure it out, but since its not my daily driver there isnt much of a rush....its runs lol
Redsand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
venom8lss
1995 ZJ 

Yeah, vehicle speed sensor. I had transmission on the brain since it came out of the tailshaft of the tranny, lol. I really don't want to take it to a shop... they would end up replacing the same things more than likely and run up an unpleasant bill. I originally bought it to fix up and sell, so any more repair bills would put me over budget, especially for exploratory work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.