Constant rattling when hitting bumps from middle of jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Constant rattling when hitting bumps from middle of jeep

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 03-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
itr1446

Constant rattling when hitting bumps from middle of jeep

I have been getting this annoying rattling noise when ever i hit a bump in the road with my jeep. It sounds like its coming from right underneath the passenger seat so i checked the trans cross member bolts, the johny joint on the long arm, and the metal hanger thing for the exhaust but everything seems ok. The lift was almost new so i don't think its the johny joint but is there any other way to check it? I need to get rid of this noise

OME dual steering stabilizer
itr1446 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
amonostereo
1993 ZJ 

Maybe a broken weld on an exhaust shield somewhere? If there was enough space between it and the exhaust pipes I could see that causing a hellish rattle.
'93 5.2L V8, Laredo, 242 TC swapped from a 249, 3" Coils up front and Front coils in the Rear, JKS Adjustable Track bar, K&N Cold Air Intake with Amsoil filter, Rear cargo area shelving, and KOR's Steering Gear Brace, IRO's Over-The-Knuckle Steering, Top Light Rail, Top Tire Carrier... for now...
OR If you prefer acronyms: 93 5.2 V8, 249>242, 3" FC, ~2" RC, JKS Adj. TB w/ KOR TB Bracket, K&N CIA w/ Amsoil filter, Shelves, KOR SB, IRO OTK HD steering
amonostereo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

My dad had this same problem in his Suzuki Samurai. Turned out there was a small stone in his catalytic converter heat shield.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
ChvyKc
2006 XK Commander 

I know that you said it was coming from the middle of the Jeep but did you check the brake pads? I had a problem like this with my DSM and it ended up being one of the metal retaining clips on the back brake pad was borken and the pad was rattling around against the rotor.
ChvyKc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
benspilk09
1997 ZJ 

make sure EVERYTHING is tight, if a shock or control arm is the slightest bit loose, it will make whole lot of noise. They probably should be torqued to around 100-150 foot lbs.
benspilk09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
mosespaul
1997 ZJ 

grab the exhaust just befor or after the cat (AFTER IT COOLS DOWN!!!!) and shake it, maybe its the cat's honey comb.
mosespaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2009, 11:25 PM   #7
itr1446

I don't think its the brakes its perfectly quiet when on a smooth road, I double checked and tightened shocks and control arms. I haven't tried to shake it when its cold but when i shake the exhaust hard the whole trans and transfer case and everything swings back and forth from drivers to passenger side, the mount looks good but should i get a new one?
OME dual steering stabilizer
itr1446 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2009, 11:56 PM   #8
amonostereo
1993 ZJ 

Did you just say that your transmission and transfer case move when you shake the exhaust? Maybe I am wrong here, but I am pretty sure that is VERY bad. Maybe you meant the catalytic converter and muffler swing back and forth?
'93 5.2L V8, Laredo, 242 TC swapped from a 249, 3" Coils up front and Front coils in the Rear, JKS Adjustable Track bar, K&N Cold Air Intake with Amsoil filter, Rear cargo area shelving, and KOR's Steering Gear Brace, IRO's Over-The-Knuckle Steering, Top Light Rail, Top Tire Carrier... for now...
OR If you prefer acronyms: 93 5.2 V8, 249>242, 3" FC, ~2" RC, JKS Adj. TB w/ KOR TB Bracket, K&N CIA w/ Amsoil filter, Shelves, KOR SB, IRO OTK HD steering
amonostereo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.