constant death wobble 1500mi from home - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > constant death wobble 1500mi from home

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-04-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
JacksonsHole
1999 WJ 

constant death wobble 1500mi from home

3" black diamond pos shocks and 3" ome hd springs

I used to get horrible vibes when lightly braking because my rotors were warped. Now it happens every bump over 55. I need to slam on brakes down to 35 to fix. Not fun with semis on your *** on the highway. Anyway, its gotten progressively worse over the 1500mi trip I just took and will need to return 1500mi on sun. I thought it was my rear adco sway bar loosened. Which it was, so I tightened it. Still shakes horribly. Took it to my folks' mechanic, said a shock was loose. Sounded plausible. Until it just happened twice more on the highway.

Where should I start?? I need this thing to survive 1500 mi without the benefit of a saturdau mechanic.

Sorry if that's tough to read. On road, typed from blackberry.

Thanks in advance. I'm getting desperate.

JacksonsHole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
jamnjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Did yopu replace the wraped rotors?
Unread 06-04-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
89blkcomanche
1993 ZJ 

rotors arnt going to be an issue, you arnt applying the brakes all the time so that wouldnt cause a vibration unless one or two of your calipers is dragging slightly which could be be unlikely, jack it up and spin the tires and see of the tread has a even straight line on it, look for any bubbles on the tires, maybe even balance the tires
Unread 06-04-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
JacksonsHole
1999 WJ 

No I haven't replaced the rotors yet. Nor is that my main concern right now. It happens literally every bump over 55mph. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of driving on chicago expressways, there are bumps every 15'. I just had to slam on brakes to stop the wobble on the kennedy.

It seems to start in the back and move up my steering column. I've actually gotten it to stop before it became unrecoverable by slightly reducing speed. Once it starts the violent shaking the only thing I can do is slam on the brakes. I need this thing to at least make it back to my parents' tomorrow (65mi) and then can look for loose bolts etc. Maybe the winch I'll have in the trunk will help weigh the back down. It really feels like the crappy black diamond shocks work better under weight.

1500mi with constant death wobble is going to take years off my life. I just hope after this wkd I have years left!!
Unread 06-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

front track bar bushings, control arm bushings, steering components(tie rods, drag link), something is worn out or loose.
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
1sportsdoc
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugermack View Post
front track bar bushings, control arm bushings, steering components(tie rods, drag link), something is worn out or loose.
x2, start with the track bar bushings (have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look at the track bar bushings for movement). And then go down the list. Good luck.
Unread 06-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #7
JacksonsHole
1999 WJ 

It was unbearable today and happening literally every bump. I am leaving at 7am tomorrow so I broke down (not literally) and took it to Midas (something I've never thought I'd do...but on Saturday at 1pm I was desperate). I asked them to replace the awful awful awful black diamond shocks and the steering stabilizer since I noticed a ton of play in the wheel.

They said the track bar bushings are showing signs of wear but not terrible.

I took it out, and while it seems like the bumps are better and the steering is tighter, right when I braked from 65, it happened again. Back to the rotors and bushings I guess.

I'm about at the end of my patience and am pretty much stuck. I can risk it and go, assuming I won't be braking a lot on the highway. But I think I just paid $469 for a band-aid....and not a very good one. If the wobble happens a lot on the drive, not only will it be slow and stressful, but I'm sure it'll kill this stabilizer as well.

Ironically the for sale sign is going on it right when i get back. This was supposed to be its last road trip. This thing literally needs to just make it 1500 more highway miles....just unfortunately all in one fell swoop. The midas folks said everything was tight. I hate this question, but what is the worst that can happen? I don't think the wheels are going to fly off. I just think I'll be uptight and nervous for 24hrs....
Unread 06-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #8
rustynail
1996 ZJ 

Midas said the TB bushings are showing wear, maybe there's enough wear for death wobble. DW is usually caused by the track bar bushings or bolt coming loose but that's just from all the reading I do on here, not from personal experience.
5.9 ORVIS 33x12.5 MTR-Kevlar, 7" fr adj IR LA's, 7" rr adj RE SF SA's, adj JKS TB's, RE SB disc, RE Springs, JKS ACOS, 13" RS9000XL's, OME SS, NP231, Durango box, IR Sliders, IR Skid, 3" Flowmaster 70, K&N, Superwinch EPi9.0, Optima Yel, 2 air comp, Alpine, Garmin, Sunroof
rustynail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2010, 05:49 PM   #9
JacksonsHole
1999 WJ 

Ok...so it's dark and late. Quadratec says replacing the tbar bushings takes less than an hour. A search tells me a lot can go wrong (they seem like their a b*tch to remove). With just basic tools (I'm at parents house), is this something I can do tonight without jacking up the Jeep? Does anyone have a link to directions or a picture?

Thanks...
Unread 06-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #10
JacksonsHole
1999 WJ 

as with every other part I've tried getting from Advance today...they have no bushings. Actually said they don't even see a track bar on the '99 model.

Are there any other track bar bushings that would work? Ford, Chevy etc? This is getting ridiculous....
Unread 06-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #11
rustynail
1996 ZJ 

What about a complete track bar from a wrecker. It would be really easy to install as well.
5.9 ORVIS 33x12.5 MTR-Kevlar, 7" fr adj IR LA's, 7" rr adj RE SF SA's, adj JKS TB's, RE SB disc, RE Springs, JKS ACOS, 13" RS9000XL's, OME SS, NP231, Durango box, IR Sliders, IR Skid, 3" Flowmaster 70, K&N, Superwinch EPi9.0, Optima Yel, 2 air comp, Alpine, Garmin, Sunroof
rustynail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2010, 08:26 PM   #12
JacksonsHole
1999 WJ 

Good advice...but it's Saturday night and I'm leaving in the morning.
Unread 06-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #13
jamnjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

you might be out of luck then. But at least get under there and make sure the tb bolts are tight...very tight. I have to tighten mine up about every 3 months or so. I get them as tight as I can.
Unread 06-05-2010, 09:19 PM   #14
Katesdad

What area are you in now maybe someone lives along the way and could help you if it becomes undrivable. I just replaced the tie rod end of my adjustable trackbar tonight, Ive had a month of slight death wobble.
Katesdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2010, 08:50 AM   #15
shift_grind

It's threads like this that make me wonder why people lift there jeeps
shift_grind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.